What's new

The Halloween Movies (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I disagree, the day scenes on the 25th are not correct either because they offer none of the necessary amber/red tones that helped convey the feeling of Fall in the midwest rather than spring in Sacramento CA, the 25th transfer has bright greens that IMO ruin the illusion of a cold blustery Illinois October that the DP has stated he was necessarily going for with the color timing.

jon_farthing

Agent
Just watched the Halloween 2 disc. The timing on the back of the case is wrong, so it is actually the short version. The transfers a little soft. The commentary has a few interesting bits and pieces and is fun in places, but nothing to write home about. Considering the participants are supposedly horror experts i was hoping for something a little more in depth.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I'm hoping in October I can find these movies, as of right now they are pretty hard to come by.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Just to clarify, I should pick up the 25th Anniversary Edition since a box set will not be coming out? I have H20 and Ressurection (they were really cheap :), I promise ) - but wanted to wait to open them until there was a set.

Ryan

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Since three different companies (Anchor Bay [has the original, parts four and five], Universal [parts two and three], and Dimension [parts six to eight and, I guess, the upcoming nine]) have the movies, it seems very unlikely that they will get together and release a box of all eight movies in the US.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ryan,
unfortunitley you have very little options if you want to pick up the film. The limited edition has long been OOP and the only one out right now that's readily available is the 25th anniversary edition. You may be able to find one of the other multiple edition's on ebay, though.

Too bad the LE isn't out anymore, this thread has brought things to light that make me see that version differently now and actually prefer it over the 25th.

I now know what the one member meant about the 25th not being perfect.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Actually John, you can get the single disc version (without the TV version 2nd disc) HERE at Deep Discount DVD for $ 8.99 .....I suggest you* hurry as it won't be in stock for long after this is read...well...maybe. But get it anyway! :)

*(I re-read your posts John & I now realize that you already have the disc, but to whomever doesn't have the 1999 version...GET IT WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD!!) ;)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
One shot that wasn't color timed in the 99 version was the shot of Michael busting through the Kitchen door when Laurie is trying to get out the back way. The first shot of him breaking through is heavily blue, and then the next shot of him busting in is a white tone.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Thanks everyone! Michael Myers shall live on once again... at least in my DVD player. :)

UPDATE:

Checked out www.dvdcompare.net and there are several different versions , including a 4-Disc German set!

R0 America - (Anchor Bay) I will probably end up getting either the R0 America - (Anchor Bay) or the R1 America - (Anchor Bay - 25th Anniversary Edition) - they both seem pretty neat.

And DDD has the Divimax for $17.99.

Chris Parham

Stunt Coordinator
Strangely enough right after reading this thread, I just happened to find parts 4,5 and 6 at a local Cash Converters ( a kind of upscale Pawn shop in Canada). I had already owned parts 1 ('99 version) and 2 ( anomorphicly enhanced) and have always considered them to be the cornerstone of my October viewing schedule. I really can't recall seeing these other installments in the series. I know that they can't match the original, but are they even halfway able to keep up? Should I start my annual Halloween viewing early in order to accomodate these new additions to my collection? Not to threadcrap, but to give you some idea of my views, I consider Halloween 3 to be the worst film (next to Kevin Costner's The Postman) ever made. While I haven't seen that film since my early teens, the grating sound of that jingle makes me want to poke out my eyes and eardrums to this day!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Chris,
i've always been a big supporter of Halloween 4, not so much Halloween 5 or Halloween 6, they simply were taking the series in a direction I wasn't willing to accept.

Halloween 4 works for me because it's very heavy on mood and atmosphere and captures at least some of the original. The next film that really worked for me was Halloween H20, it took the series back to it's roots and brought Michael and Laurie back together again which scored a lot of points with me. :emoji_thumbsup:
Halloween Resurrection was an absolute travesty after a very strong opening 5 minutes or so, but I did appreciate that the filmmakers went and built an exact replica of Michael's house for the film.

And agreed, Halloween III is just a train wreck. Apologies to that film's supporters here.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Chris,

I second almost everything John just said. Although I'd much rather watch Resurrection than either 5 or 6, six being the worst in the series in my opinion (I don't count 3 in the series at all). Enjoyed 4 quite a bit. It has it's problems, but I think it has more plusses going for it than not. After the first one, I like H20 the best.

Anyway, at least for this year, I recommend starting your Octoberfest early enough to accomodate them all. Then you can decide which, if any, you'll revisit in the future. Even the worst ones have at least one good sequence in them worth seeing.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I don't think I would actually say I support the film, but in recent years, I may have gained slightly more appeciation for it. I repeat Slightly . I watched it last year and found it to be very slow in many parts, but I do give some praise because it does have a mccabre/creepy feel to it. It also did have an unusual/ambiguous ending, which makes things a little bit more interesting. In all fairness, it's probably not much worse than alot of the crappy "horror" movies that are released today.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Another fan of #4 here. The followup to it was pretty badly bungled, but even though it takes the slightly cheap route of threatening a child, the fourth entry is quite well done and edgy like no other in the series since the original. (I should say I've never seen the much-maligned #6, which seems to be impossible to find any more).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I love Halloween 4 for all the same reasons everyone states above. It's much better than people seem to give it credit for. And I also think it's way better than H20 and leaps and bounds above 5, 6, and 8.

To me, H20 just seemed like they wanted to get back to the feel of the original (an honorable intention) but all they did was bring back Jamie Lee Curtis and copy some scenes from the original and then their new ideas just didn't work at all. In the end, it was nice to see JLC again but the movie didn't come together for me. Although I was glad that they dropped all the stuff about the Thorn curse. :)

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Halloween 4 has always been a favorite of mine. I like all of the Myers films, but parts 1, 2, and 4 are clearly the best IMO. One of the things I think Halloween 4 did better than the original and part 2 is the casting of Ellie Cornell and Danielle Harris. I much prefered them and their characters (Rachel Carruthers and Jamie Lloyd) over Jamie Lee Curtis and her portrayl of Laurie Strode. Curtis was pretty darn good in 1 and 2, but Cornell and Harris were much more likeable IMO. By Halloween 7, Laurie Strode is just too bitchy for my tastes. I realize that was the point, but I still don't like her in # 7. What really hurts parts 7 and 8 the most is the absence of Donald Pleasence. Without him, it just doesn't seem like a Halloween film. Donald is the true star of the Halloween films because he stuck with those films until the day he died. I have a lot of respect for him.

I've heard that Danielle Harris was going to play Jamie Lloyd in Halloween 6, but, supposedly, she wanted $5,000 for the role and Dimension didn't want to pay that amount. Any truth to that? If that's true, those execs at Dimension sure are cheap...and stupid.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Ms. Harris (who is easily on par with the likes of Lacey Chabert these days, btw) appears at horror conventions now and then, so you could try to stop by and ask her.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks