The Gunfighter (Gregory Peck) -- ?????

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Aug 12, 2006.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

It's been available as part of Fox's elegantly packaged Cinema Classics Collection in R2 for a while now...

Has there been any word on a R1 release of this classic western for 2006?

What's the hold up with this title?

2. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I've visited Fox Studios several times over the years and each time I asked their home video representatives about "The Gunfighter". I don't understand why this great western is not released on dvd. Perhaps, they're going to do a Gregory Peck boxset? I don't know, but if you walk the backlot of the studio, you will see a giant mural of Jimmy Ringo on an outside wall which is quite impressive. This film is one of the greatest westerns ever made.

Crawdaddy

4. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

A Gregory Peck boxset would be nice!! Or, even an "ultimate"-type edition of The Gunfighter..

5. ted:r

ted:r Second Unit

There are a number of significant Fox films that remain tantalizingly out of print, such as "The Gunfighter", "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn", "Viva Zapata!", "Wild River", "Prisoner Of Shark Island" etc. It's been disappointing these haven't (yet?) been released as part of their "Studio Classics" line (and one wonders if the line is still extant) but hopefully this will be recitified in the near future.

6. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was advertised in a DVD insert as coming up in their Studio Classics line the same time as Pinky was advertised, but Pinky was moved as a debut of their Cinema Classics Collection--who knows what happened to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?
    The Studio Classics line was revived with Black Swan, River's Edge & Keys to the Kingdom in the last few weeks.