'The Grinch' Is Now The DVD Sales Record Holder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin Pereyra, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

According to USA Today, Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas sold 3 million copies on DVD last week, 8.5M total for DVD and VHS. Shrek was the previous record holder.
    However, what the article failed to mention was that the 'Grinch' was released on Tuesday while 'Shrek' was released on a Friday. 'Shrek' sold 2.5M copies from Friday through Sunday. The Grinch definitely benefitted from 3 additional days of sales and a holiday week at that.
    ~Edwin

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm afraid to ask, but which version of 'The Grinch' sold the most copies, the Widescreen, or Fullscreen edition?
    I think I know the answer already, but just for shits and giggles...

3. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

Numbers like this tell me that rental pricing is probably dead and buried forever. 3 million DVDs in one week is amazing--people are buying DVDs in far greater numbers than they buy music! I think the perceived value for money that DVD offers is driving this. Now if labels got music Cds down to a reasonable MSRP (12 bucks or so), I think they could consistently see numbers like 3 million on a lot of big releases. Instead they have driven the MSRP for music up to 19.99 which is utterly ridiculous.
    At least the miserable (imho) Grinch will probably be unseated from this record by Harry Potter or something else eventually. [​IMG]

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

5. Tom Czr

Tom Czr Agent

Why in Gods name do people buy this movie. I dont think a movie has ever been released that I wanted to see less. Dr Suess creeps me out.

6. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

My reaction to this news...
    [​IMG]
    Next thing you know, the next 'best selling' DVD will be 'Glitter.' Then 'deuce bigalow' will make a comeback in the DVD sales charts.
    Jeez, what is this world coming to? [​IMG]
    Joseph

7. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Just because some of you disliked the movie does not make it a bad purchase for others.

I found it quite entertaining and my son was glued to the set.

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I thought this was the worst movie of last year, beating out even Battlefield Earth. Battlefield Earth at least was bad enough to be funny, The Grinch was just a mess.

But who am I to judge the taste of the public; let's just hope the widescreen disc sold better since Universal still insists on confusing the public by putting out separate pan and scan discs.

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

10. AndrewW

AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

The Grinch is right up there with Random Hearts as my worst purchases ever. Grinch was horrible, IMHO.

11. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Hey, you Grinch grumblers. The movie is not perfect, but it is a perfect family movie around the holidays. Lighten up!

12. Jeffrey G

Jeffrey G Agent

My kids love it too, and I thought it was good myself. Its a great movie for the kids at Christmas.

13. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

My kids (not to mention me and my wife) found the film to be so unpleasant, and so un-entertaining, that we turned it off, halfway through. Glad I only rented it.

14. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I hate to say it but I told ya so! So many members here did not even place it on the top 3 best seller in past threads. I think Pearl Harbor or JP III might bump this but I still doubt it!

Wes

15. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

If people enjoy it and want to own it, no problem. I just think it is sad that the original directed by the great Chuck Jones and narrated wonderfully by Boris Karloff is being outsold by a vastly inferior version. I will never think of Jim Carrey as anything more than a poseur when it comes to The Grinch. There will always be only one Grinch in my book, just like there is only one Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble.....and they weren't John Goodman or Rick Moranis.

16. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I thought this film was WHO-rrible!
    [​IMG]

17. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I think I'd have to agree that the Grinch missed the mark on many levels, and wasn't very good.

I too am a little surprised and disappointed in its record breaker performance, but knocking Shrek's record (another underwhelmer IMHO) is an indication of one major factor. Quality does not necessarily drive the market.

Harry Potter will knock those records into oblivion, and from what I hear, it's a good enough film to warrant it. Plus it'll most likely knock Titanic out of its box-office record (I hope I hope I hope)

Monsters, Inc. tremendously better than Shrek, should also do pretty good on DVD.

18. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona

19. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Henry
    I'll tell you what the "hell" I was expecting.
    I was expecting, hoping for actually, a charming humorous entertaining version of a holiday animated classic with good performances and holiday cheer.
    What I got was an over-produced, over-acted, bloated unfunny mess of a film that was un-magical and near torture to sit through!
    That's what the "hell" I got.[​IMG]

20. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator