What's new

The Green Mile SE: November 14th (1 Viewer)

Sten F

Second Unit
Not just yet, but DVDs will eventually be yesterday's technology ...as will HD-DVD & Bluray. :)

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator
god i hate it when i read negative comments about why the movies is spread over 523 discs blah blah...what a bunch of lazy *****

i can't believe ppl in africa go from place to place to carry water while some ppl in here bitch and moan about why the movie is spread over discs....

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
With all due respect, this thread isn't about the plight of people in Africa. It's about the SE release of The Green Mile, which I commented on - appropriately, I think, in the specific context. If you'd like to talk about Africa, I'll join you in another thread created for that purpose.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Count me in the group that is baffled by the concern for a movie being spread over two discs for a 3+ hour movie. Heaven forbid, you have to get off the couch for 15 seconds to change the disc. If it's that big of a deal, then buy a multiple-disc player. What did you do during the LD era when a movie often had to be flipped 4-6 times for a premium transfer of a 2 hour movie.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
They don't have to. They can just stick with the first release which does have the film on one disc. :)

I don't think most people's complaint is about having to get up, my guess is it's more about the flow of the movie being broken. Also don't forget that many people here never had an LD player.

I have to admit there have been cases where a disc split has been a bit of a head scratcher, e.g. Buena Vista's Gangs of New York which was split on R1 and still looked like crap due to edge enhancement, whereas the R2 has not been split and looks decidedly better.

Same for Warner's Wyatt Earp actually, R1 is split, R2 isn't. Don't know about the image quality.

The Green Mile seems to be split on all regions though. I still have the old release so I'll definitely do a comparison between the 2 discs to see if the image is better.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

This isn't the laserdisc era, and no longer does a movie need to be flipped even once, let alone 4-6 times, for a premium transfer of a 2, even 3 hour movie. As I already have a DVD of The Green Mile that occupies a single disc, I'll pass on this new "special edition."

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
My comment seems to have been blown out of proportion.

I own the current edition and consider the transfer very adequate; in addition the movie is on one disc. If the first edition of The Green Mile had been spread over two discs like the new SE, I wouldn't object to the new edition doing the same if it was necessary to do this to maintain image quality. I have no problem with Lawrence of Arabia being spread over two discs because it couldn't be adequately done otherwise.

Since the previous edition seems fine to me quality-wise, I just don't like the idea of upgrading to the new edition for extras and at the same time downgrading the user-friendliness of the movie experience. I'll wait for HD to remedy this and give me both the extras and the movie in one piece, and then I'll double-dip. YMMV.

(I still think the comment about social problems in Africa was totally unwarranted in this thread.)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

To each his own.

Since I absolutely loved the book, and the near perfect translation to the screen this is truly a no-brainer for me.

As far as the movie being spread over 2 disc, I had no problems with the Extended Editions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, or Titanic for that matter.

Sten F

Second Unit
This is a hilarious discussion.

If any of you saw The Green Mile or Wyatt Earp in the theatre you might remember there was an "intemission". As mentioned, even Lord of the Rings EE DVD Trilogy has to be swithed to a second disc.

So goes for Lawrence of Arabia, Gangs of New York & Cleopatra + many more long movies.

Take a break, man and go to the bathroom will you? :)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't have a problem if it hadn't already been proven that the film can fit on a single disc--it's just unnecessary and it completely messes with the flow.

Like in The Godfather II, the split hurts the movie IMHO.

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator

lol,or lower the rate of overweights in the US....

Edit: sorry that was mean of me to say but i couldn't help it lol

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Not to give the impression I'm "jumping sides" here, but I call "bullshit". I saw TGM in the theater and there was most assuredly NOT an intermission.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
There was not an intermission for The Green Mile in the movie theater, nor was there one for LOTR: Return of the King and that movie was 3 1/2 hours. That said, I have no problem with any movie pushing 3 hours, much less longer than that, being split over 2 discs to optimize video quality. I, for one, am looking for more than adequate video quality from my DVDs. I'm even looking for more than "very adequate."

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I wanna be the third person in this thread to say that I, too saw "The Green Mile" theatrically and there was no intermission. I've actually never seen a movie with an intermission theatrically.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
If Wyatt had a "proper" intermission in the theater, it certainly didn't retain it on the DVD. Of course, there are two kinds of intermissions. One is intended and properly made by the filmmakers, the other is just slapped on by the theater, distributor or whatever. In our local theater, even the Harry Potters had intermissions, usually at the most inappropriate spots. Other German theaters didn't have it.

Sten F

Second Unit
You´re right. I got it mixed up with another movie.

Perhaps, I made my own personal "bathroom" intermission. :) I have no problrm with a movie split over 2 discs ...if it means it will keep a higher bit rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks