The Green Glove & The Second Woman?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MichaelScott, Oct 25, 2005.

1. MichaelScott

MichaelScott Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know the quality of the two Alpha titles above? Love Glenn Ford, and the Robert Young title sounds interesting.

Also, what is the best version of Orson Welles "The Stranger"? Is the Queststar Killer Classics version ok?

Recently saw Slightly Dangerous on TCM with Young and Lana Turner..great flick. Wish they would release more classic comedies, and not focus just on the crime noir...though I love those too.

2. MichaelScott

bump..one more time..just wondering before I pull the trigger on buying the 3 titles I had questions about.

3. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Michael, I have both Alpha titles and they are both "serviceable". The Second Woman is slightly more contrasty which lacks finer detail, but it is watchable. I've had a couple different versions of The Stranger but the best one I've come across is the Roan version which is paired up with Cause For Alarm.

H.

4. MichaelScott

Thanks for the info..Do you think the Queststar Killer Classics set is worth it?..I've heard it has the best quality of "To Late for Tears"(aka Killer Bait)..if "The Stranger" is decent I could settle for that since it's in the set too.

5. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

For the price, I think its probably a great way to pick up some quintessential noirs. If any happen to really strike your fancy, you can always seek out better versions later. I've had two versions of Too Late For Tears (the Alpha and the newest Image release). While the Image is slightly better, I wouldn't recommend the much greater expense - considering how minute the differences are.

H.

6. MichaelScott

Thanks again Herb..yeah I think I'll pick up the Killer Classics..for like $14 and change it's a great deal plus comes with some extras besides the movies..reviews on Amazon seem decent. I know a new version of Scarlet Street is coming out from Kino but I don't think I can find versions of the other four that would be a huge difference other then that one.