What's new

The Greatest Showman (2017) (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This video is from what I think was the first public performance of music from The Greatest Showman. I was planning to go to this concert but it happened a week after the Vegas shooting so I decided not to go.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I wish this film would stop being so popular with theater operators so we can get the 4K Blu-ray already! I can't wait to show it in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater.

:)

Mark

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The movie will outgross La La Land this weekend domestically.

I still don't understand the appeal of this film, but as a fan of the musical genre as a whole, its success is obviously a really good thing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I still don't understand the appeal of this film, but as a fan of the musical genre as a whole, its success is obviously a really good thing.
Obviously you don’t understand the appeal of the film because you didn’t like it. If you liked it you would get the appeal. Simple really. ;)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I like The Greatest Showman! Happy it's been such a huge success.

Since I've got MoviePass, maybe I'll see it again and add a few dollars to the growing total.

Hoping the success of this one will bring more big budget musicals in the future.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I remember similar comments about La La Land last year. For me personally, this film dwarfs La La Land as far as appealing to me and what I like about musicals. Granted, musicals are my least favorite film genre, but, no previously released musical got me to the movie theater three times.

As Tino stated, you don't get it because you didn't like it. It's not like seeking the answer to the proverbial question about the meaning of life.:D

Last edited:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
So as someone who has really had this film grow on me, a few thoughts.

(1) I didn't care for LaLa land as much as others; I found it tedious at points and the story was 'blah' (for me)
(2) One of the great appeals of 'Showman' is that it is a decent date movie; two decent love stories, which focus on the chase
(3) If you're looking for family films, it's a film that could be G rated in most other eras. Think about it.. the "big" love moments are: (A) Dancing with your spouse; (B) holding hands in a theater (C) dancing with someone you want to date, (D) worrying over a partner injured (E) a HUG between a husband/wife reuniting after separation... the big scandal? Someone gets kissed by surprise. In an era where a lot of love stories feature just a bit too much skin/sex for parents to feel really comfortable with teens attending, Showman is as family friendly as it gets

(4) it falls into the window of one of the traditional film metrics: rags to riches; and we've had kind of a shortage of rags to riches films lately that weren't biopics or technology oriented.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Keala Settle performed "This Is Me" on tonight's Graham Norton (two weeks ago for those Brits among us).
Related

‘This Is Me’ Catapults ‘Greatest Showman’ Soundtrack Toward One Billion Streams

Atlantic Records, which released “The Greatest Showman” album, a companion of music from the film, announced that the anthemic song “This Is Me” has been streamed more than 160 million times globally, and that the soundtrack is approaching one billion streams worldwide. “This Is Me” is sung by Leala Settle, who plays the bearded lady in “Greatest Showman: and was written by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, who last year won the best song Oscar for writing “City of Stars” from “La La Land

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/...howman-soundtrack-billion-streams-1202709399/

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Looking at weekly box-office results, this film is one of the few recent movies that could be called a "sleeper hit." It has taken in far more money than its first weekend take would have suggested for it, and it continues to draw patrons many weeks after its premiere. Fox must be thrilled with this response.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Following Matt's comment above, The Greatest Showman continues to amaze! In its 10th week of release it's still sitting in the top 10 at number 8 and with a North American cume of over $160M it's now passed La La Land's domestic gross.

Who would've thought that in 2018 we'd have two very successful original movie musicals released so close to one another?! I hope that bodes well for more in the future, but only if they are of the same high quality, obviously.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Now that this has been announced for Blu-ray release in April, I wonder when it will slow down at the box office. It's still at my local AMC and appears to be doing quite well still, which is great. I half-expected them to hold the Blu-ray a little longer than they are. It has certainly had a tremendously leggy run.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
‘The Greatest Showman’ has almost ‘Titanic’-length legs at the box office: Here’s why:

The Greatest Showman’s multiplier is currently over 18 — and it’s still in theaters. All that is without even mentioning that the film has already grossed more than $200 million internationally, for a global total of $361.2 million. In less than a month, on March 20, it’ll be released on Blu-ray and DVD, and it’ll hit VOD April 10, making its cultural impact even greater.

But here is the strangest thing: Unlike Chicago or Titanic — both of which went on to win the Oscar for Best Picture — The Greatest Showman is a profoundly average film, critically speaking, with its current score on Rotten Tomatoes at a “rotten” 55 percent. Meaning: Explaining its incredible box office legs as a word-of-mouth phenomenon becomes slightly more complicated.

So here’s why it might have managed its death-defying feat:

More here.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/27/greatest-showman-box-office-titanic/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks