What's new

The Greatest Show on Earth (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I waiting for this to come from the Paramount Presents line. I hope they pack it with decent bonus features a Best Picture deserves.

I'd settle for a good picture. The transfer that shows up on TV from time to time looks pretty good to me, I dunno if it's good enough for Blu-ray. If Paramount do as good a job as they did with Samson & Delilah (1949), then we'd be in for a treat. Fingers crossed for next year!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I'd settle for a good picture. The transfer that shows up on TV from time to time looks pretty good to me, I dunno if it's good enough for Blu-ray. If Paramount do as good a job as they did with Samson & Delilah (1949), then we'd be in for a treat. Fingers crossed for next year!
Sure I’ll be happy it’s on Blu, even if it’s bare bones. Some people
Love Bonus Features, some don’t. I love a disc packed full of bonus material. This one is crying for it.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'm hoping it makes it to blu-ray soon and I'll be one of the first to buy it. As for being the "worst" Best Picture, please! To their credit the Academy used to alternate between life affirming but light and reality based but depressing. In some ways they still do, The Artist versus Crash. There's an audience for both. As for DeMille, maybe they were moved to give him a Best Picture nod just like they were moved to give Scorsese the same for The Departed, which I'm personally no fan of. The matter of whatever "didn't win" is a matter of taste and bias in the end anyway.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Yeah, looking back at the 1944 films I can easily name off 10 films that were better than "Going My Way" in my opinion. Perhaps, the nation and film industry engulfed in war were in need of sentimentality.

Double Indemnity
Murder My Sweet
Meet Me in St. Louis
Laura
Phantom Lady
Henry V
Mr. Skeffington
The Lodger
Gaslight
The Seventh Cross
All of these are really good films, including Going My Way. All worthy of awards. I would have a tough time deciding which is the best.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just watched this for the first time last week, and only then because I am laid up while awaiting hip replacement surgery and have way too much time on my hands. I have always found Barry Fitzgerald to be quite insufferable, like one of those obnoxious Keelber elves in the commercials. The overwrought sentimentality in this film is offensive (but obviously not enough in 1944 to keep it from garnering those Oscars). You know, Tom, I agree with you that this movie is (IMO) the worst ever to win the Best Picture award. Other 1944 films include LAURA, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS...and so many more deserving films.
Matter of opinion.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The Greatest “cropped” Show on Earth?
I just added an HD version of this movie to my Kaleidescape device downloaded from their store.
Definitely not a restoration — there’s a lot of color fringing etc - but the color and sharpness look very good to my eyes.
The surprise is that it’s been reformatted to 16:9 (1.78) aspect ratio. There’s even some vertical panning to keep everyone in the frame. I immediately checked with Kaleidescape and they told me that’s what Paramount sent them and they had no explanation of why this was ldone. The SD download is still in the original aspect ratio. There doesn’t appear to be an additional HD download in the OAR.
Why would Paramount do this?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I just added an HD version of this movie to my Kaleidescape device downloaded from their store.
Definitely not a restoration — there’s a lot of color fringing etc - but the color and sharpness look very good to my eyes.
The surprise is that it’s been reformatted to 16:9 (1.78) aspect ratio. There’s even some vertical panning to keep everyone in the frame. I immediately checked with Kaleidescape and they told me that’s what Paramount sent them and they had no explanation of why this was ldone. The SD download is still in the original aspect ratio. There doesn’t appear to be an additional HD download in the OAR.
If that’s the case, I’m concerned about the eventual Blu Ray release. They have to be releasing it on PARAMOUNT PRESENTS, right?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
They do that to accommodate broadcast TV which wants "formatted to fit your screen" versions. Kaleidescape was sent the broadcast transfer instead of the proper OAR HD transfer which is on iTunes and other digital storefronts. They should request the proper file from Paramount, but good luck with that!

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
They do that to accommodate broadcast TV which wants "formatted to fit your screen" versions. Kaleidescape was sent the broadcast transfer instead of the proper OAR HD transfer which is on iTunes and other digital storefronts. They should request the proper file from Paramount, but good luck with that!
Thanks. I relayed this to my contact there and he’s checking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks