The GREATEST quote EVER....for DVD lovers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_H, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

I thought this was a great quote from M. Night Shyamalan in the Feb/March 2003 issue of Sound & Vision magazine:

The number of people buying movies to have at home now is fantastic. If you went into some guy's house in the late '80s and saw him with 100 VHS tapes, and he wasn't in the film industry like me, you'd think, "This dude needs to get a life." But now if you walk into somebody's house and see 100 DVDs on the shelf, you're like, "Oh, man. He's a connoisseur of movies. Wow. What an intelligent guy." It's much more hip.

[​IMG]

~Brent

2. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Funny how times change don't they.

I'm sure it will come back full cirlce and it will be considered not cool.

3. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

It is weird nowadays. Going into stores like Best Buy and Media Play and seeing all the people buying movies.

Speaking of VHS, I couldn't believe how big the selection was at Media Play near where I live. It was HUGE and there was only 1 person looking through them. I bought less then 10 VHS tapes in my life, I mostly recorded movies off of HBO etc... I don't even know why I started buying dvds. I had been REALLY getting into indie movies in '95-'99. Maybe my interest just spawned from there. Too bad most of the movies I remember most from my 'indie fascination' aren't even available. [​IMG]

4. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I guess then, I'm "not cool" on books too...
    [​IMG]

Cees

6. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Vickie, I think M. Night Shyamalan's point was people are collecting DVDs a lot more then they ever collected VHS tapes. Since you only had 100s of VHS tapes by the late 80s, you should see his reasoning. I myself already have almost three times as many DVDs vs. VHS tapes. And I've had a VCR for about 15 years longer then I've had a DVD player. Of course, in my condition, it's also due to the fact that I was a kid and unemployed. But purchasing movies was never a big deal in my family until DVDs came along. Plus there is no 2 ways about it, DVDs just look cooler. I didn't know anyone that collected VHS tapes the way me or some of my friends get DVDs.

We can just assume that it's because of the increast in OAR releases that DVDs are so much more popular. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cees, of course you're not cool on books. [​IMG] Why spend a couple days reading a story when you can spend a couple hours watching it. And if it's not in movie-form, then it ain't worth my time. Of course that theory comes undone when Asimov's Foundation Series hasn't been filmized yet. [​IMG]

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    [​IMG]

8. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Vicky,

I was about to ask you what a "foaf" was. Then I just used my big brain and figured it out. That was a new one for me. You know, the using the brain part. [​IMG]

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, DVD collectors seem to be much more common than tape collectors. I recently went to visit a guy I know, walk into his family room and it turns out he has like 500 DVDs and a FP system. You just never know what kind of people you meet these days. [​IMG]

I still hardly ever buy any DVDs. In fact I've never been a collector of anything in my whole life.

/Mike

10. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Every once in a while someone comes over to my place, lays eyes on my collection, and says:

"You're crazy to own so many movies. Why don't you just rent them? What a waste of money."

[​IMG]

These comments are then proceeded by the same person browsing through my collection, happening upon one that they like, and saying:

"Hey, can I borrow this?" [​IMG]

To which I reply in kind:

"I'd be crazy to lend out my movies. Why don't you just rent it instead? So no, you can't borrow it." [​IMG]

I don't make many friends that way. [​IMG] I'll only lend out my movies to certain people, and they are the ones who stare in wonder at my collection and share my interest in HT/Movies. Oh yeah, I also have to know that I can trust them with the packaging & media inside. I always make that very very clear. This is of course, the topic for another thread...

Moe.

11. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Interesting discussion.

And here we go again, having to "justify" our purchases to those who think nothing of spending $30,000-50,000 on a car but cringe at those of us who choose to invest our money in home entertainment instead.

I never became a collector of VHS movies (outside of a few S-VHS pre-recorded tapes when that medium was fresh) I've never purchased a pre-recorded tape on my own (a few I got as gifts, etc.) Couldn't get past the "entropy" thing -with magnetic field strength guaranteeing eventual degradation and all that. And I also didn't like the non-random access mode of tape. But that's a bit off topic and I certainly made up for my lack of tape acquisition by collecting thousands of LDs and DVDs.

Back to the matter at hand.

Why own so many movies? ("Rent" is the name of a Broadway show to me, not a acquisition option).
    [​IMG]

Doug Pratt said it best and I've reproduced his very well done article in a section of my website HERE for those who are new to this to read.

We who are movie buffs and collectors understand entirely. Because of the current popularity and availability of DVD (not to mention excellent pricing compared to going to the movies nowadays) our world is becoming more accessible. And those who understand the "fever" really don't need an explanation.

Nor should anyone lose any sleep over people moaning about what we choose to do with our time and money. I certainly don't.

So many movies, so little time.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

You go, Moe!

Fortunately my friends are more in the "in-awe-of-my-collection" camp - in both DVDs and books! I do loan out my DVDs to trusted friends I know won't mess them up. But I hardly ever loan out books (I buy hardcovers and take care of them - yes I'm anal).

13. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Does anyone remember when VHS movies were about 3 or 4 times the price of what DVD's are now?

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

15. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

wow this has spurred quite a discussion..... [​IMG] Anyways, my only problem with having so many DVD's is I feel bad not spending time watching the supplemental stuff......I am too busy watching THE SHIELD and finally the first season of the SOPRANOS.......ah well. I have my whole life ahead of me. Anyways, back to the quote...I gotta show that to my mom, see what she says...She's the one who always questions where I get the money to spend on DVDs when I am suppoosed to be paying tuition [​IMG]

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'm assuming that he's talking as a laserdisc snob--surely he would have been into LD and considered VHS as the Sign of the Unwashed. [​IMG] But it is interesting how American movie-buying habits have so abruptly changed almost purely as a function of technology.

17. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

18. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator

19. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Ya know what, before I got a DVD player a year ago, I owned ONE, yes ONE, VHS tape!! now I have bought 45 DVD's in one year!! Man I love these things!!

20. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

I probably had more VHS tests than most, but I think there's something to be said for DVD just simply being a more collectible medium. I mean, people usually collect things that they find of interest, and from a purely technological viewpoint, DVD is a whole heck of a lot more interesting than VHS tape (and a whole lot cheaper than LD's were during their heyday). Then there's the aesthetic aspect. Not only are DVD's a bit more space-saving and look better sitting on a shelf, but most VHS movies just came in the cardboard covers that didn't exactly hold-up well under even light use. I think to a lesser extent, you kind of saw the same thing happen with audio cassette and CD. Of course, maybe it's just because it's a round disc instead of a tape. Records, LD's, CD's and DVD's all seem to have some level of collectibility, while 8-track, audio cassette, VHS & Beta video tape apparently do not. Maybe it's all just part of the human subconscious. I don't know, but however you look at it, I'd hate to be one of the handful of experts that initially thought DVD was a "fad."