What's new

The Greatest Debut Albums In Rock Music History? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I gotta say that solo albums from people in prior bands should count. It's a totally different thing to be a collaborating member of a group than to be the main creative force in a project.
It's DIFFERENT but not "totally". All three of those mentioned - Lennon, Gabriel and Simon - were either the main songwriters or close to that status.
My point was their work didn't herald a new talent. We knew well what to expect from them. When I think of "debuts" I think of unknown talents totally new to us, not artists who'd already produced tons of work.
And Plastic Ono Band wasn't Lennon's first solo album anyway, so there!:)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Jimi Hendrix -- Are You Experienced?
It's the only possible answer.
Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of great debut albums on the various lists (God knows how many times I've listened to Joe Jackson's Look Sharp not to mention The Doors or Outlandos D'Amour), but Are You Experienced? aside from being a truly great album, changed the face of music forever. I can think of no debut album that has had anywhere near that much influence.
It seems to me that half the bands/albums listed could not have existed without Hendrix' debut album:
Led Zep
Aerosmith
Guns & Roses
Van Hallen
Beastie Boys
Nirvana
etc. etc. etc.
Ted

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I can think of no debut album that has had anywhere near that much influence.
As much as I worship AYE (UK OR US version), I would think a little harder, if I were you!

If not for Elvis Presley (1st album), we'd all still be listening to Patti Page & Rosemary Clooney. Please Please Me (1st UK Beatles album) was also WAY more signifigant. NONE of the albums listed by anyone here (my picks included) would exist without these two (& for Hendrix, we would have to add Bob Dylan's 1st album---Jimi's idol).

PS-forgot about Blood, Sweat & Tears-Child Is Father To The Man (another thread could be started about 1st albums that are NOTHING like their successors--Pink Floyd & ELO would be others in this category).

also-Elvis Costello-My Aim Is True

PPS-"Paul Simon" was NOT his 1st solo album, "The Paul Simon Songbook" (released only in the UK in around 1967) was his 1st. Two Virgins was Lennon's 1st; The Family Way was Paul's 1st; Wonderwall Music was George's 1st; and Sentimental Journey was Ringo's 1st---so let's not hear about Plastic Ono Band, McCartney, All Things Must Pass, or Ringo!

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Adding to the already impressive list..
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Some other debut favorites of mine that I love to crank up.
Missing Persons - Spring Session M
Pat Benatar - In The Heat Of The Night
The Charlatans UK - Some Friendly
Kim Wilde - Kids in America
The B-52's
And I still think Duran Duran's first album - in it's original EMI-UK format is the most original album of the early 80's
Joel

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
As much as I worship AYE (UK OR US version), I would think a little harder, if I were you!

If not for Elvis Presley (1st album), we'd all still be listening to Patti Page & Rosemary Clooney. Please Please Me (1st UK Beatles album) was also WAY more signifigant. NONE of the albums listed by anyone here (my picks included) would exist without these two (& for Hendrix, we would have to add Bob Dylan's 1st album---Jimi's idol).

Can you even name what was on Elvis P.s first album? Back then, the single was king, so I don't think the King's first album had any particular influence...

Still listening to Patti Page without Presley's 1st album? You must be joking. Presley was a popularizer not an innovator -- Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Muddy Waters, etc. etc. would have insured Page's deserved oblivion.

The Beatles 1st album?? Who did it influence?? By the time it was even released in the States The Beatles had finished their third album. The Beatles, as (IMHO) the greatest band of the 20th century had an incalculable influence, but it was with albums like Revolver, Sgt. Pepper & Rubber Soul -- not their first album, which while fun didn't do much of anything to alter the music world.

Much the same can be said for Dylan -- there is nothing earth shaking about his debut album -- Blonde on Blonde & Highway 61 Revisited were tremendously influential -- not his first album.

Remember, it isn't being argued here that Jimi Hendrix was the most influential artist ever, just that his FIRST album was the most influential (and IMHO best) FIRST album.

Ted

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I guess I mean the FACT of their 1st albums, rather than the actual tracks within--that they heralded the artist's arrival on the music scene.

Much the same can be said for Dylan -- there is nothing earth shaking about his debut album
Iwas only referring to it as to the influence it had on Hendrix--I didn't put it on my list for the reason you go into.

Anyway, WHICH AYE are you referring to--US or UK?

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
So many of my favorites have already been mentioned. I would add these ones to the list:

Arena: Songs From The Lions Cage

Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes

Discipline: Unfolded Like Staircase

Stone Temple Pilots: Core

Seal (91)

Suede: Suede

Supergrass: I Should Coco

Kula Shaker: K

Sinead O'Connor: The Lion And The Cobra

muskie

Agent
Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill
All Canadians know this wasn't her debut.

"Never too hot,

Never too cold.

Make your best shot,

too hot to hold."

:b

She was cool for being in Dogma though. And the 10000 Mona Lisas version of You Oughta Know rocks.

My vote for best debut album ever is

Buffalo Springfield (self titled) only one person mentioned it before me.

Muskie

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks