What's new

The greatest Christmas song ever (1 Viewer)

NeilTHI

Agent
What has been the greatest Christmas song ever?

John Lennon, Happy Xmas (War Is Over), Fairytale Of New York, The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Bruce Springsteen, Do They Know Its Christmas, Band Aid or something else?

This Day in Music have launched a poll to find out what your favourite Christmas songs are.

What song would you pick? You can see a full list of songs and vote on This Day in Music.com

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm with Chris G. :D

I'd have to think about the best, but I do know that any by former Beatles are gag-inducing, IMO. I have to switch channels or turn off the radio whenever I hear Lennon's Happy Xmas or McCartney's Wonderful Christmas Time preparing to assault my eardrums.

I've always kind of liked "We Need a Little Christmas" by Johnny Mathis.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Judy Garland

The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole

Do They Know It's Christmas - Band-Aid

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Oh, come on, this is no contest - Irving Berlin's "White Christmas" is clearly the greatest Christmas song of all time, with 50 millions copies sold of the Bing Crosby original recording alone (which makes it the biggest selling single of all time) - not to mention it has been recorded by just about every artist (encompassing all genres) who ever made a holiday record.

The only competition would be Mel Torme's "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)", which BMI claims to be the most-performed Christmas song. As Keven mentioned, the best-known version of this was by Nat King Cole.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Merry Christmas Darling by The Carpenters has always been a favorite. It's surprising how often it's played in malls, etc. this time of year.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I don't know what the greatest Christmas song ever is, but I really do like Brenda Lee's rendition (1958) of Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree. :emoji_thumbsup:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think I could pick a favorite, but I tend to prefer the Bing Crosby/Nat King Cole era. Probably because of fond memories as a child. But I've always loved Bruce Sprinsteen's version of Santa Clause Is Coming To Town.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

My two favorite versions of that song are by Tori Amos and Chrissie Hynde.

And just about any Christmas song by Ella Fitzgerald.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Can't disagree with the first two. For the latter, but for its significance charity-wise and politically, as a song it just doesn't do it for me.

One that is always played to death is Wham's Last Christmas, and not necessarily for the better, as IMHO the song is rather dated, being a very obviously 80s pop song. I still enjoy Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody, though that song is even older.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Don't like the almost completely secular list. I would say something majestic like O Holy Night is the greatest Christmas song, with the Nat Cole version serving as a top example. Also, the Vince Guaraldi version of What Child Is This, along with the secular but wonderful Christmas Time Is Here.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
There are a ton of great ones, but the greatest, IMO, is

Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You - Billy Squier

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I'm partial to Fairytale of New York by the Pogues, but that's only because I'm a hopeless romantic. :laugh:

Seriously, I agree that the list is too secular, and if I can't have Nat King Cole's O' Holy Night, then it has to be The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting) by the same.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Religious:
Once in Royal David’s City
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Oh Holy Night

Secular:
The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole)

And as mentioned, anything by Ella.

Not exactly a song and not completely focused on Christmas, but I always listen to Messiah during this time—and at Easter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks