What's new

The greatest, best, most clever, moving, impressive Trailers you've ever seen (1 Viewer)

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
The James Bond films from the 60s, particularly Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice, and Thunderball.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The trailer for Women in Love that was shown in Puerto Rico (could it have been an international version not shown in the States?), and which I've never seen again. The current "original" trailer is no match for the imaginative use of footage in the trailer I saw overseas, which made sense before and after you saw the film. As brilliant as the film itself!

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
My favorite is the teaser for Carlito's Way that featured his sunglasses and Pacino's great lines from The Godfather, The Godfather Part 2, Scent of a Woman (he had just won the Oscar) and Scarface.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes I get a kick out of movie trailers and teasers. But not so much lately. Too many have developed this same-ness to them, with all the wooshing and booming crap thrown into the sound bed. They also crib from trailers like the one for Cliffhanger. I'm sorry, but I really don't expect yet another sequel, remake or re-tred of some sort to give me "the ride of my life."

One trailer I really liked was the teaser for the original 1990 version of Total Recall. I saw this clip in 70mm, attached to 70mm prints of Glory and Mountains of the Moon several months ahead of its Summer 1990 release. The teaser is very simple and effective in its concept. It was also consistent with teaser posters for Total Recall displayed at the same time. The 70mm teaser had a great surround screen to back wall fly-by pan effect involving two moons as the camera POV zoomed above Mars' surface toward a black pyramid. Unfortunately that 6-track surround sound track has never been ported over to DVD or Blu-ray. I've only seen it on home video in a poor quality, standard definition version with mere stereo surround instead of 5.1.

The teaser for Twister was really good. It didn't show too much from the movie, just the opening sequence. It had a great CGI gag at the end with a pickup truck falling out of a tornado and one of its tires flying right at the camera into the audiences' face. That startling image wasn't used in the movie.

I liked some of the advertising for the first Die Hard movie. "40 stories of adventure in 70mm six track Dolby Stereo that will blow you through the back wall of the theater!" But I think they mainly used that in the TV commercials.

The first trailer for 300 was pretty good. I liked its use of Nine Inch Nails' instrumental Just Like You Imagined. The first trailer for Watchmen (with music from The Smashing Pumpkins) was well done.

Some trailers would annoy me for obvious re-use of movie score music from other movies. I saw one trailer for The Abyss which recycled music from Die Hard. The music from The Terminator is pretty recognizable, but I've heard it used in trailers for other movies -like one of the trailers for the original version of Robocop.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I very much enjoyed the commercials for the most recent Die Hard movie, but the horrifying reviews have so far kept me from actually seeing it. :)

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Neil Middlemiss said:
Since the release of the expanded soundtrack for The Abyss, I have been thinking about that film and the use of Michael Stearn's terrific music from the film Chronos used in the trailer. It took me years to identify the music used in the trailer, but it's effect in selling The Abyss has always impressed me. I love this trailer. The peek behind the curtains opening that discusses making the film, the wonder and awe in the imagery, and the powerful use of the Chronos score have long put this trailer at the top of my list (alongside the trailers for Alien and Aliens as being impressively constructed and scored pieces). So I am curious what trailers have had an effect on you over the years?
So where is that Abyss blu? Seeing the trailer again made me remember just how good the movie is, and how it deserves a good home cinema release.
schan1269 said:
Not everybody's cup of tea. But film as art to the extreme...

The Holy Mountain
Seriously dude, that was some seriously strange shit there ;)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Best Trailer in recent memory. Love the shots with the music. And the Kraken at the end? SOLD!

Boring film though.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Recent examples coming to mind of stuff I loved:

The third trailer for "Man Of Steel" - loved the trailer, movie itself not as much.. if the movie had the grace and tone of the trailer, it could have been something really special:

The final trailer to "Star Trek" (2009) had a great vibe and made me think "you know what, I will give this a try":

Loved the second trailer to "Tron Legacy" which has the music from the film - read somewhere that Joseph Kosinski (the director) edited it himself:

This one blew my mind back in '08 (first full length trailer for "The Dark Knight"):

Also remember loving the teaser for "Garden State" - apparently Zach Braff cut it himself as a suggestion for how they could go, and the studio loved it and went with it:

This is a fun topic!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks