What's new

The Greatest American Hero (1 Viewer)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
This has been brought up before. Most recently here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...+american+hero

This is my all time favorite TV show, so I of course would love to see it. My friend made me DVDs from recent Canadian broadcasts, and I have been falling in love with the show all over again. I would to have them released in season sets along with the great teasers for each episode. They should at least release the 2 hour pilot to test the waters.

TomJC

Grip
I'd buy season sets, even if they have to replace the music.

Didn't Cannell have to replace some of the music in Wiseguy for DVD? And I know that a good deal of the music for Crime Story had to be replaced. In the case of Greatest American Hero, apart from the Joey Scarbury theme music, I don't think there was any music used within the show that was integral to the story, so I don't think it would be that jarring to hear replacement music.

I agree with posts in the other thread. With the preponderance of superheroes in films and back on tv (Smallville), I think this would be the perfect time to test the waters for a GAH DVD release. (Having picked up the Electric Tiki maquette of Ralph over the summer reminded me how much I miss this show. It's never run in syndication in my area, either. Grrr!)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Most of the songs used in the show were songs covered by Joey Scarbury. Are music rights still an issue (or less of an issue) if they are cover songs?

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
This was posted over at www.darkhorizons.com today:

"The Greatest American Hero"

"Disney is moving forward with this project to create a feature film. Cannell has completed the story outline and writers have been hired to finish the first draft within the next few months. He stated he already has an actor in mind for the lead role of Ralph, but declined to say exactly who. Also, unlike the route Starsky and Hutch has taken, American Hero will not be a spoof or parody. Instead, it will follow along the same comedic lines as the original show and stay true to it's genre. Disney is aiming for a PG rating"

With confirmation that a new movie is in the works, I hope it motivates Cannell to release the series on DVD. I am more concerned about the original show than I am any new film.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Its always a good sign when a movie is being made from an old TV show. Even if the movie is awful, it will still likely get the show on DVD.

I was a bit amused when Dark Horizons said the new movie wouldn't be a spoof or parody. Hello, the show was already a parody of super-heroes! I wonder who they have in mind as the lead actor?

Also, the first season of this show was only seven episodes and a pilot. I hope they won't be like Universal with Northern Exposure and Quantum Leap and charge a mint for a handful of episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks