1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Greater Cleveland (Ohio) Area Meet Thread V.1

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by George_W_K, Nov 4, 2003.

1. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Did you go to the Best Buy on Ridge? I hate that place. They are terrible. I always go to Great Northern now because the service is much better. For DVDs and my X-Box, the picture is great, IMO. LIke you said, it took a bit of tweaking to get it to look right, but I like the result. It also depends on the screen you use. Ask the guys what they thought of playing Unreal on it. Soon, Halo. I don't know about the price. I heard you can get a coupon from Dell and buy it form them for 10% off. I don't know how to get the coupon or if you can still do that. Might want to search AVS.

If you change your mind about stopping by, let me know.

Have fun when you get your projector.
    Geo

2. AlexM.

AlexM. Extra

Yes It was the BestBuy on Ridge. I saw the Dell coupon, but they charge tax for some reason, which brings it to a higher total. I would like to stop by in the future when i get some free time, but I dont know when that will be. Thanks for your help.

3. Ferdinand*T

Ferdinand*T Second Unit

Welcome Alex!, hope you stay and become part of our little group!

Yeah I had a smile from ear to ear when I was playing Unreal on the X1, it was so damn big and I was loving every minute of it! I will second that the picture quality is great too but like George said you have to tweak it. Also make sure you use a high gain screen because the X1's Lumens are pretty low. This will give you a dark image if you don't get the right screen.

As far as the game/movie meet we might as well hold off on it till after the holiday's when everything starts getting back to normal. Right now its a little crazy for me and I bet for some of you too. So the chances of all of us being free on the same day will probably be slim.

4. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    It's funny you should say that Ferdinand, I was going to suggest waiting until after New Year's when I signed on. Maybe Santa will give me something nice for X-mas this year. We'll have to wait and see if I, er, he pulls the trigger or not.

5. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

Welcome Alex,

i hate bestbuy too, they fired a friend of mine for no reason...(he worked there for 4 years as a computer fixer-upper, and he didn't offer some stupid service plan to this one customer who had been in numerous times to have my friend fix his computer, my friend knew he didn't want the service plan, and didn't offer. He got fired for that after 4 years of service to bestbuy, which is the stupidest thing i have heard. The real reason was he was making $15/hour while the new employee's were making $8/hour for the same job.) ...ever since then i stopped buying stuff from them.

Anywho, George's X1 is sweet. DVD's and Xbox games looked awesome, whether it was T3, or unreal championship, or espn football they all looked GREAT! As for rainbows, the only time it saw them is when white text was moving on a black screen during some calibration stuff. I never saw a single rainbow during a movie, and trust me, I was trying. Mainly i was trying to see rainbows because i am going to get a DLP projector and wanted to know if i could see them.

George, I think santa told me that you were getting a Martin Logan center channel for christmas[​IMG]

6. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Mike,

I think Santa is going to bring me one thing before a center channel. The center might be a present for being good in summer![​IMG] From the Easter bunny!

George

7. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

George,

What model of Martin Logans do you have?? I looked at some Martin Logans and some Magnepans on Saturday. They both sounded real good.

8. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Hey Alan,

I have the Aeon i's. I was thinking of buying the Statements, but I felt that if I doubled the value of my house, it would be showing off and my neighbors would be jealous! [​IMG]

I agree about both sounding good. The reason I went with the MLs is because of the sales guy I dealt with. He gave me a good deal, and didn't apply any pressure at all. Plus, he is knowledgeable, which is always helpful. I probably would be just as happy with the Magnapans.

9. AlexM.

AlexM. Extra

Thanks for the welcome guys. Work is crazy this time of year, {U.P.S. delivery} so haven't had much time to post. Still searching for the best price and online retailer to purchase the X1 from. There seems to be numerous cheap new ones on EBAY also, which seems risky. By the way I have a brand Pelican System Selector pro for sale. Bought it for my brother for X-mas only to find out he bought one a week ago and already opened it. Mine's never been opened but sadly I misplaced the receipt to Best Buy. It has lots inputs, including Component, digital audio, and ethernet inputs. I'm sure Ferdinand is familiar with it working at Gamestop. Paid $108, will sell for $75. Message me if interested, if not I will try to return it for store credit or sell it on Ebay.

10. Alan Pummill

Hey gang,

I pulled the trigger this afternoon on a demo pair of Magnepan MG1.6QR's and a new MGCC3 center at Audible Elegance in Montgomery. I pick up the mains tomorrow, and will get the center the week after Christmas. (They had to order the center, and I'll be in Las Vegas over Christmas).

I plan on using my Paradigm Monitor 7's for surrounds until I can sell them and get a pair of MGMC1 surrounds.

I'm sure I'll be able to set these maggies up to sound just great, And the great thing about demo's, besides the savings, is that they come already broke in!!

I feel like I am a young boy again and waiting for Santa Claus to show up. Hurry up tomorrow....get here!! Kevin is going to help me go get the speakers and set them up!!

11. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Hey guys,

Santa pulled the trigger and I should be listening to a new preamp after New Year's. Just in time for my B-day. I just hope I don't get bit in the arse for spending the money when work is slow. I may need some sidework! I'll let you all know when I receive it and have time to hook it up. (About five minutes after I receive it!)

George

12. Ferdinand*T

Ferdinand*T Second Unit

Alan,

That is great!! Any chance of taking some pictures when you get it setup? Hey did you get the money order yet?

13. Alan Pummill

Thanks Ferdinand!! As soon as I have all 5 Maggies set-up I'll be posting some new pictures.

No Money Order yet, Monday probably. My buddy Marty hauled off the Monitor 7's last night!! I had $1580 tied up in the 9 Paradigm speakers I had, not counting the PW-2200.(I had an extra set of Mini's) I got a total of $1250 on resale!! Not a bad return!!

The new Magnepan MG1.6QR speakers sound fantastic. I will be getting the center and surrounds the week of New Years. Words can not describe what a huge step up these are over the Paradigms. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the 'digms for over 5 years, but the maggies are in a whole different league!!

BTW, I've sent you all some pictures via e-mail!!

14. Mike Wladyka

Alan -- Nice job on those speakers

George -- which preamp did you get?

i almost was pressured into an X1 purchase at bestbuy...my friends are so nice..."buy it pussy", "you know you are going to buy it anyway", "we want to play halo on it tonite", etc..

i resisted, citing the fact that i get my christmas bonus tomorrow, and maybe i could get something better...i am thinking maybe the sanyo Z2...

Mike

15. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Mike,

I bought a B&K Reference 50. I should have it by Friday, which is a lot faster than I thought I'd get it. There's still time for it to be delayed, though.

If you opt for the Z2, you'll have to let me check it out. I haven't really heard anything bad about it, which is cool.

Congrats, again, Alan!

16. Ferdinand*T

Ferdinand*T Second Unit

Hey guys I've been busy as hell lately so sorry for the no post.

About the Z2 its a great projector but its LCD. So the resolution won't be as good as a DLP and blacks won't be as dark either. Plus you get the screen door effect. So if you want use a LCD make sure you have enough room.

17. Mike Wladyka

18. Pete SE

Pete SE Agent

My big questions on these bulb projectors is image quality longevity.
    I've seen some guys at AVS saying their projectors are giving them a dim, dull picture after 1000 to 1500 hours of bulb life.

19. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    With projectors, the SDE is only a problem if you sit really close to the screen. Every now and again I can see it, but not usually, and you've seen how I close my seating is to the screen. You want to sit about 1.5X or greater from the screen. I think that is screen width too.

Anyway, I finally have received my preamp, a B&K Reference 50. Wow, what a difference. The surround channels sound a lot better than they used to. More detail, more discrete. My sub sounds better too. I really didn't expect as much of a difference in sound as I got. I am really impressed. I still have to take time to play around with the settings to fine-tune so I'll see how much I can get out of this thing!

I hope you all had a great holiday!

Alex, did you end up buying the X1?

Ferdinand, now that the holidays are over, do you think you'll have time to hook up your answering machine?

Take care,
    George

20. Mike Wladyka

Hey guys,

How was everyone's holiday. Mine was good. I only worked 6.5 days in the last 3 weeks!!! but got paid for 15!! woohoo, i love having a real job.

George, glad to hear the system sounds even better

i am still researching projectors, and finding more and more possiblities everyday...it is just as fun as looking for speakers and receivers...hopefully with CEDIA the end of this week, prices will drop with introductions of new products

Mike

PS -- you better be practicing as i practiced a ton over the holiday