The Great Mattress Hoax

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Gale, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Shopping for a new mattress/box springs set. The industry is set up so you really can't price shop due to multiple model names and fabric coverings. There are mattress specialty shops every half mile and oddly enough, they all claim to have the best prices.
    I'm fixing to buy at a local furniture store because they offer free delivery.
    Any suggestions?

2. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I would like to try one of those foam mattress'es
    not sure if anyone around my area sells them other than the 2 inch thick cover that they sell at costco for $100

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Check for models that are being discontinued, often a model number is changed when a new print is introduced!!! We saved $300 on our queen size set.

4. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    A bunch of people sell the foam covers on eBay, at varying thicknesses and weights, in the $100-150 range. There was a thread on tempur-pedic (or other memory-foam) mattresses here a while back. Is it worthwhile to buy a whole mattress made out of that stuff or would a 2-4" cover be all you need? Does anyone out there have any experience or recommendations on these covers?

5. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I was going to buy a tempurpedic but the sales lady discouraged us and led us to a slightly less expensive bed. According to her you sink in and then it is hard to turn. She also mentioned it retains body heat and moisture, which can be bad in my climate.

We are very pleased with the bed we got. Best of all, it does not squeak... ever.

6. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

Avoid the Simmons Beautyrest (?) with the independent coils/springs. The more traditional interlocked spring systems are much more reliable and maintain shape much longer. IME, Stearns and Foster is well worth the extra money and a bed is not a purchase to make in which price is more important than quality.

I do not know anything about the Tempurpedic style beds other than a good friend recently purchased one and is sleeping soundly through the night for the first time since she was a child. I can say the same about my Stearns and Foster.

Good luck with your shopping.

Steve

7. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Not sure about your area but there is a store called The Original Matresss Factory around here where they do the final assembly in the back of the store. They are always advertising how great they are on the radio. I have never bought from them but they do mention that they have their matresses as well as competitors cut open so yuo can see the insides of them. Might be worth a trip just to see what you are buying.

8. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

I know that when I got my new mattress at Mattress Firm that they told me that since all the other retailers had other names for the same models they would price match any other model with the same construction type. I purchased a cashmere pillowtop model (Hey, I value my sleep![​IMG])so they price matched all other cashmere pillowtops.

9. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Latex foam, 6" thick covered by
    organic cotton/wool futon (3")
    for extra goodness, add extra 3" wool futon.

Super luxury, and will destroy any and all commercial mattresses. Go to your local futon shop and ask around.

10. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I have a Select Comfort Adjustable Air Matteress. Ive had it for about 6 years with no problems. The wife keeps her side super soft and I keep mine firmer.

And for thoes nights after a hard day I can adjust my bed softer or firmer depending on my condition.

11. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

Mattess companies break their product lines out into levels. When you find a bed you like ask them which level it is. Use that as your basis for comparison shopping. Store A and B will sell the same exact bed with two different names.

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I bought the "pocketed coils" mattress. The salesman was showing me the normal mattresses and extolling their virtues and asking that I give them a try. But when I commented that I sleep on my stomach, not my back, he recommended the independent springs. The pitch was reasonable so I bought that type intead.

I got a very firm mattress, thinking that would help it last longer. Finding it was too firm, I bought a 2" foam pad. Now it's just right.

I've heard it's best to not get the pillow-topped mattresses. The pad will die before the mattress. It's better to buy a separate pad and replace that as needed.

My parents like their dual-zone air mattress.

13. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I am shopping for a new matress myself.. I have a queen
    water bed frame that I have been using an air mattress in
    for a few years now. I am tired of leaking air matress's and
    I wanted a Tempur I love the feel of the visco-elastic foam
    and yes you do sink in.. But it supports you evenly.

Unfortunatly Tempur is way too pricey for what you get IMHO
    and they don't make non standard sizes either. My dimensions
    are 60" x 84" x 9.5" and I can't go with an 80" even if I
    was to shorten my frame 80" my feet hang over!

So I am still searching.. I found a place in Knoxville, TN
    called Knox Foam (www.knoxfoam.com) who can custom cut any
    sizes. I priced out a 3" section of Grade A Firm Poly Foam
    plus a 3" section of Grade A Medium Poly Foam plus a 4"
    section of Soft Visco-Elastic Memory Foam and a custom made
    zippered cover made out of anti mite, Hypoallergenic moisture
    blocking material.

It all comes out to like $860.00 and free shipping. I figure
    this way I have way more thickness than a Tempur mattress
    and I can alternate the Medium and Firm Polyurethane foams
    to get the desired firmness I want.

I am just waiting for them to respond to my email because I
    would like to sample thier memory foam to see how much softer
    it is than Tempur's which is kind of hard..

I was also considering a Nautilus but again I hate to spend
    $1500.00 without being able to see it in person and lay on
    it.. I laid on a Select Comfort and I took the bed apart to
    see the construction and I wasn't all that impressed with
    the materials.

And traditional box spring/matress is out of the question.

14. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

I can sleep on anything, even the floor, with about equal amounts of comfort.. so I'm not much use to you. [​IMG]

15. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Jamie,

I'm with you. I used to fall asleep on the floor next to my bed when I was a kid. At least I make it to my bed when I'm tired...