What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (2 Viewers)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
REO Speedwagon

"Ridin' the Storm Out":

I like the clean, almost acoustic feel of this one. It doesn't feel over produced but yet still has some nice percussion and awesome guitar work. Not my usual fare but i wouldn't pass this one up if it came up in rotation.

"Keep on Loving You":
I've always loved this song but never knew who's it was. It's a classic in my book. I was wondering what you meant by the drawn out R sound and then there it was. I wouldn't have noticed it on my own but it's definitely there and unnecessary. By the way, if you 10 year old granddaughter can appreciate music on this level you may have a genius on your hands.

"Time for Me to Fly":
This one's a little on the bland side for me. Sounds like a sort of filler-type song.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Here's another female vocalist from the 90's I forgot to mention in earlier posts. She's no Aretha Franklin or Patti Labelle but does have a smooth and sultry voice that brought great acclaim in her day.

Anita Baker​

I Apologize​

Giving You The Best That I Got​

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
REO Speedwagon

"Keep on Loving You":

I've always loved this song but never knew who's it was. It's a classic in my book. I was wondering what you meant by the drawn out R sound and then there it was. I wouldn't have noticed it on my own but it's definitely there and unnecessary. By the way, if you 10 year old granddaughter can appreciate music on this level you may have a genius on your hands.
Well... she *does* ride to school and back with me every day (I'm the primary IT tech in her elementary building), as did her brother (now 17) and sister (now 14) when they were in that building. I listen to different things almost every day and give them a musical history lesson with the choices. All three (as well as my son and daughter) appreciate music from the 50s on and know a lot of it by name, all from riding with me.

Her current favorites are anything by The Beatles, the early Allman Brothers Band (yeah... a 10yo likes ABB!), ZZ Top, Harry Nilsson (especially "Without You" and "Coconut"), Ides of March ("Vehicle"), and Tyrone Davis ("If I Could Turn Back the Hands of Time"). I just purchased her a special USB drive for 4th grade "graduation" and loaded it with those favorites so she can hear them when she wants and doesn't have to wait for me to load them for the car.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Anita Baker, "I Apologize" - That's very nice. The key changes are organic and don't feel forced or that they exist solely to change keys. She has a very good voice and style.

Anita Baker, "Giving You The Best That I Got" - This one's good, too, though I prefer "I Apologize" of the two. She may be no Aretha Franklin or Patti Labelle but, based on these two selections, she's worthy of being in that group.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
REO Speedwagon

Ridin' The Storm Out - The only version of this song Ive heard is the live version, and by comparison the album cut sounds quite sparse. And also I prefer Kevin Cronyn's voice.

Keep On Lovin You - I wasnt a big fan of this song or this album when it came out. Power ballads werent my thing. I dont change the station now if it comes on, but im still not a huge fan.

A couple of years ago REO was on the Big Interview with Dan Rather and Cronyn told how when he was writing this album Gary Richrath, their guitarist, was fed up with all of the ballads and said, "how the hell am I supposed to play on this?" Then as a joke played what would become the Keep On Loving You solo, and Cronyn loved it. Thus was born the power ballad.

Time For Me to Fly - great song. Great lyrics. I love the whole Tuna Fish album.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Ridin' The Storm Out - The only version of this song Ive heard is the live version, and by comparison the album cut sounds quite sparse. And also I prefer Kevin Cronyn's voice.
Agreed. This version is high powered compared to the studio version presented earlier. It gives the song an entirely different feel. Both are pretty good.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here are a few somewhat obscure 70s songs....

David Essex - "Rock On":

Focus - "Hocus Pocus":

Robin Trower - "Bridge of Sighs" (from the album of the same name):

Ambrosia - "Holdin' On to Yesterday":

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
David Essex - "Rock On":
Perhaps one of the most odd beginnings I've heard but I do know and love this song from way back.

Focus - "Hocus Pocus":
That's some awesome guitar work but they lost me when the yodeling started. :cool: Even though I was a drummer, In this case I feel the drums covered up some amazing guitar at times although the drum solos were excellent.

Robin Trower - "Bridge of Sighs"
This one seems to have an identity crisis. Is it a Rock ballad or a Blues song? I find it listenable but not exactly compelling.

Ambrosia - "Holdin' On to Yesterday":
I always appreciate a song that gets right down to business and grabs you. From the 3rd note this one does exactly that with it's alluring bass track. The vocals are also very nice. Great song. Added!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Robin Trower is, in some circles, considered to be the "spiritual heir" to Jimi Hendrix. He managed to mostly duplicate the sound Hendrix was getting from his Telecaster guitar. Here are a few other tracks from Trower showing his diversity better.

Robin Trower - "Lady Love"

Robin Trower - "Althea":

Robin Trower - "Gonna Be More Suspicious":

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Robin Trower

"Lady Love"
Nice!!! Love the vocals and the music. Added!!!

"Althea":
The beat is unnecessarily convoluted but the rest is as solid as the one above. This is a very powerful vocalist, which leaves more margin for forgiveness in other areas. Added!!!

"Gonna Be More Suspicious":
I much prefer the other tracks but the powerful vocals exist in this one too. Unfortunately the guitar is just too prevalent which undermines an otherwise good song.

Sort of reminds me of the great Stevie Ray Vaughan and that's rare company.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Lady Love -- Needs more cowbell! ;)

Althea -- Great guitar riff.

Gonna Be More Suspicious -- The vocals are more to my liking on this one compared to the previous two.

But honestly, this is not the type of music I'll just put on and play as standard fare. I'd have to be in a specific mood and temperament, but it's good to know what to go to when that mood strikes.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I forgot to comment on REO Speedwagon's live release of "Ridin' the Storm Out." I like it, it *is* the same song after all, but prefer the studio version. Once that live version was released that's all you'd hear on the radio.

I'm the same way with Deep Purple and "Smoke on the Water.:

"Smoke on the Water" - Studio version:

"Smoke on the Water" - "Made in Japan" live version:

Once the album "Made in Japan" was released and stations started playing the live version you very rarely heard the studio version again - unless you owned a copy. I did, still do, have never purchased "Made in Japan" because I just don't like the album that much. To me it's always had a somewhat muddy sound.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
**EDIT** - Chris reminded me (coming up in a few posts) that I'd already posted these... and I linked the ballad in that post. Oh well... It's been a loooong couple of weeks at work so I'll use that as an excuse. Feel free to hit the skip button. ;)

Here's an early 80s group that had a few hits... (OK... they released their first album in the early 70s but it wasn't until 1980 that I became aware of them due to these 2 hits) OH... they're also Canadian, hailing from Halifax, Nova Scotia.

April Wine - "Sign of the Gypsy Queen":

April Wine - "I Like to Rock":

Like all "self respecting" hard rock bands of the era they had a hit with a ballad. I'm not posting it - you can look it up if you wish - "Just Between You and Me." It's not bad but is rather typical of that type of song.

Last edited:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Here's an early 80s group that had a few hits... (OK... they released their first album in the early 70s but it wasn't until 1980 that I became aware of them due to these 2 hits) OH... they're also Canadian, hailing from Halifax, Nova Scotia.

April Wine - "Sign of the Gypsy Queen":

April Wine - "I Like to Rock":

Like all "self respecting" hard rock bands of the era they had a hit with a ballad. I'm not posting it - you can look it up if you wish - "Just Between You and Me." It's not bad but is rather typical of that type of song.

I think you (or someone) posted these already.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
After my post about April Wine I found most of their 70s output on Spotify so listened to the first few releases. I *think* I've heard one song before and that's it. The material is fairly good 70s style hard rock but nothing really stands out. It's actually just as good as many of the more "popular" groups/albums I listened to in those years. I can see myself listening to them on occasion so may purchase a few - at least that one with the familiar sounding song.

That song is "Oowatanite" from their 4th album, "Stand Back," which was released in 1975:

That entire album is very listenable even if unremarkable.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I think you (or someone) posted these already.
Yep - looking it up it was me - back in post 1790 where I *did* include the ballad... It really doesn't surprise me as I've found myself almost doing that several times and checking first just in case... I didn't this time... My wife calls it "old timer's disease." :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
April Wine, "Rock Myself to Sleep" - Fancy turntable there. I don't know that I'd trust those drawer type turntables (I was too anal about cleaning the disc and needle before playing). I've seen Fright Night (1985) dozens of times (it's a favorite) and absolutely do not remember hearing that song. The song's kind of bland and pretty stereotypical of those years.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
April Wine, "Rock Myself to Sleep" - Fancy turntable there. I don't know that I'd trust those drawer type turntables (I was too anal about cleaning the disc and needle before playing). I've seen Fright Night (1985) dozens of times (it's a favorite) and absolutely do not remember hearing that song. The song's kind of bland and pretty stereotypical of those years.
It's not really featured or very prominent. It's just background music at a low level in one scene where viewers are likely paying more attention to the dialogue and action.

I'm always seeing mention of songs in a movie's credits that I don't recall hearing during the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks