What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
As far as I remember, she hasn't yet been mentioned here but I consider Cyndi Lauper one of the great female artists of our time. She was likely misunderstood in her early career due to her rather eccentric style but eventually the talent simply couldn't be denied. Here are a couple of her more popular classics.

This is one of the greatest music videos of the era and illustrates the creativity and fun-loving spirit of this unique artist.

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun (Official Video)​

This song from the same album illustrates a more serious and subdued side and puts to rest any notions regarding her vocal range.

Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time (Official HD Video)​

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Here's an obscure track I came across and felt warranted sharing. Catherine Ireton is an Irish artist whom I had never heard of before stumbling on this track. It's a nice song to my ears both vocally and musically.

Catherine Ireton - God Help The Girl​

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Bob's posting of The Guess Who got me to thinking about Canadian bands...

April Wine - Roller:

- Walter.

I like this one a lot!!! It has elements of R&B along with Rock and maybe even a little Blues depending on how liberal your interpretation is. I must say, I've been pleasantly surprised by the recent Canadian artist submissions! The Guess Who's tracks along with this one have been impressive. So happy I've learned not to judge a book [or album] by it's cover!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As far as I remember, she hasn't yet been mentioned her but I consider Cyndi Lauper one of the great female artists of our time. She was likely misunderstood in her early career due to her rather eccentric style but eventually the talent simply couldn't be denied. Here are a couple of her more popular classics.

This is one of the greatest music videos of the era and illustrates the creativity and fun-loving spirit of this unique artist.

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun (Official Video)​

This song from the same album illustrates a more serious and subdued side and puts to rest any notions regarding her vocal range.

Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time (Official HD Video)​

I was just thinking about including her here. I listen to both these tracks regularly.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I like this one a lot!!! It has elements of R&B along with Rock and maybe even a little Blues depending on how liberal your interpretation is. I must say, I've been pleasantly surprised by the recent Canadian artist submissions! The Guess Who's tracks along with this one have been impressive. So happy I've learned not to judge a book [or album] by it's cover!

Glad you enjoyed this song. I really like the guitar work on this track, especially the segment where the guitarists are playing in unison.

As an aside, you could put the drummer and the other four artists into a police lineup and play "which of these is not the like the others?" :)

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re: Cyndi Lauper - I would agree that her style and image tended to overshadow her vocal talents, but it did make her stand out from the crowd, which I assume was the idea. Both of the submitted songs are excellent, with "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" being an iconic selection that is irrevocably linked to the early days of music video. The music video was pretty creative and was a good fit for the song's style.

"God Help The Girl" - Very pleasant track. The opening bars establish a '60s vibe to the song that I enjoyed. Catherine Ireton has a sweet singing voice that fits the mood of the track. Nice find.

- Walter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
What I love about this song is the contrast of the period music style ('60s era) and an anachronistic message. It's actually a more appealing, more authentic song in the vein of Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass. I'll be checking out more of Catherine's music (Meghan has kind of worn out her welcome in our household).
Here's an obscure track I came across and felt warranted sharing. Catherine Ireton is an Irish artist whom I had never heard of before stumbling on this track. It's a nice song to my ears both vocally and musically.

Catherine Ireton - God Help The Girl​

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's been some time since I listened to the duo Little Hurricane, but I feel like I need to rectify that:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Cyndi Lauper, "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" - A fun track I've liked since the first time I heard it.

Cyndi Lauper, "Time After Time" - Another I've liked since first hearing it but didn't know who performed it. Now I know. :)

Catherine Ireton, "God Help The Girl" - Very enjoyable track. Has a "Girl group of the 60s" kind of sound.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
April Wine, "Roller" - Not bad, but not one of their best. This one's a farily decent boogie type rock anthem type affair.

Here are a few of the tracks I know best from April Wine.
"I Like to Rock":

"Sign of The Gypsy Queen" (this one's a cover):

"Just Between You and Me" (because *every* rock act had to have at least one ballad - I like the previous 2 much better):

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's another Canuk band that's been overlooked - a true "spiritual cousin" to The Guess Who is Bachman-Turner Overdrive, aka BTO. Randy Bachman was guitarist for The Guess Who and left the band in May 1970. In 1973, Randy, his brother Timothy (guitar), his brother Robbie (percussion), and Alan Turner (Bass), formed BTO. The first album was OK but didn't produce any hit singles. They struck gold with the 2nd.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive - "Let it Ride":

Bachman-Turner Overdrive - "Takin' Care Of Business":

One of the songs from their third album featured a stuttering lyric. Randy Bachman says the song was performed as a joke for his brother, Gary, who had a stutter, and they only intended to record it once with the stutter and send the only recording to Gary. Being short a song for the album they were asked if there was anything else as the provided tracks lacked the "magic" for a hit single. Reluctantly, Bachman played the joke recording and it was agreed it needed to be included. It became a hit.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive - "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet":

Bachman-Turner Overdrive - "Roll On Down The Highway":

And the album that lacked the "magic" went on to become their biggest selling album, going triple platinum.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
April Wine

I Like To Rock

Decent track overall but the vocals sort of subtracted from some awesome guitar and drumming.

Sign of The Gypsy Queen
Odd. Vocals are much better on this one. Maybe it's the singing style. I don't generally care for yelling over more relaxed melodic vocals.

"Just Between You and Me"
You're right. This one doesn't suit their style. The 2nd track was relaxed enough for me. This one's forgettable but not bad.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Bachman-Turner Overdrive

"Let it Ride":

hadn't heard this one even though I am somewhat familiar with this group. I like it a lot better then your second submission which I remember all too well. This one has a more complex song structure and some nice guitar and vocals.

"Takin' Care Of Business":
As stated above this song [while a classic] is so simplistic as to be laughable. That's probably what made it popular in it's time.

"You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet":
For me this easily their best song. Nice beat, nice guitar and a memorable chorus. Great song.

"Roll On Down The Highway":
If you take this one apart all the pieces are there yet it simply does nothing for me. Personal preference I suppose.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Little Hurricane - "Crocodile Tears" - Nice, lush opening. Enjoyed the 'dueling' vocals. Some strong instrumentation. Very enjoyable track. Also liked the Mondrian Artwork style layout to the video.

April Wine

"I Like To Rock" - Liked the instrumentation, solid guitar and drumming. The vocals were a tad repetitive for my taste. The guitar track that closes the track at around the 4:00 mark of the video is a pretty direct lift of The Beatles' Day Tripper. If you are going to copy someone, copy the best. :)

"Sign of the Gypsy Queen" - According to the wiki page this song was featured in the Breaking Bad episode Granite State. I don't remember that at all. The song seems a little bit familiar but I am uncertain if I've ever heard the original version from 1973. The lyrics are appropriate for the era in which this was originally written. I enjoyed the cover version.

"Just Between You and Me" - This is okay, but doesn't seem as suited to the niche the band carved out for themselves.

These April Wine songs aren't bad by any means, but I still prefer Roller, which may partially be nostalgia driven.

- Walter.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Bachman-Turner Overdrive - I am very familiar with all of these tracks having listened to them extensively over the years on FM radio. BTO kind of always struck me as a mid-level Rock group and these songs feel like basic, competently executed Rock songs. I do like all of these selections, so that observation isn't intended to be too harsh.

I was not aware of the back story involving Randy and Gary Bachman. Ironically, that might be the group's most well known song due to the distinctive vocal element. (If I had to rank the four songs, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" is probably my favorite.)

- Walter.

"

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Another artist who sort of popped into my mind...

Chris Rea - The Road To Hell:

- Walter.

Well, this is one of those 2-in-one songs. I didn't care for the first part which ended around the 2:50 mark but the up tempo 2nd portion is very nice indeed. What a powerfully foreboding voice and some great instrumentation to boot! Added!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just finished Hairspray (1988) on TMC, which included the 1962 hit "Do the New Continental" by The Dovells. I think I prefer "The Bristol Stomp," their #2 hit from 1961.

Found this that I thought was pretty neat, the finale of the musical version of Hairspray, "You Can't Stop the Beat," done in quarantine-style as a benefit for the Actor's Fund. Features many of the cast/crew of the various productions over the years, including Ricki Lake from the original movie.

Another quarantine benefit version, "This is Me" from The Greatest Showman. Some great voices coming out of people's homes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks