What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (3 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Nellie McKay, "Ding Dong" - Interesting song. I can see this one growing on me over time. Not at all what I expected based on the title.

Nellie McKay, "Sari" - I liked this one outside the main verse rap.

Nellie McKay, "Close Your Eyes" - I'm not at all familiar with material from Doris Day outside her signature song and some of the rather throw away material of some of her early musicals and the better musicals (of which I couldn't tell you a single song), so this was a surprise as I never thought of her singing jazz material. I like the song (have since I first heard it in the movie "The Abominable Dr. Phibes") and McKay's delivery.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Doobie Brothers, "China Grove" & "It Keeps You Running" - I really like both of these tracks with "China Grove" being the better of the two IMHO.

The Doobie Brothers is one of those bands that I liked until those vocal and stylistic changes. Once Michael McDonald came in as vocalist with the new stylistic change hit I pretty much gave up on the band. It just didn't really sound the same any more. They became a "Greatest Hits" only band at that point where before I purchased full albums.

One of my all-time-favorite tracks from The Doobie Brothers is "Black Water":

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The Doobie Brothers, "China Grove" & "It Keeps You Running" - I really like both of these tracks with "China Grove" being the better of the two IMHO.

The Doobie Brothers is one of those bands that I liked until those vocal and stylistic changes. Once Michael McDonald came in as vocalist with the new stylistic change hit I pretty much gave up on the band. It just didn't really sound the same any more. They became a "Greatest Hits" only band at that point where before I purchased full albums.

One of my all-time-favorite tracks from The Doobie Brothers is "Black Water":

I considered posting "Black Water" and it is definitely one of my favorite DB songs. The lead vocals are performed by Patrick Simmons, so I decided to post something that was sung by Tom Johnston since that was the big transition in terms of the band's vocalists.

Being a huge Steely Dan fan, I am sort of a fan of Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter's contributions to the group's music, but I enjoy most of their catalog.

- Walter.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
With talking about Hendrix's catalog I immediately thought of the song "Izabella." I first heard this one on the "Woodstock 2" album which featured Hendrix on a full side of the 2 record release. One of those tracks was "Izabella," a song he'd been working on but hadn't yet recorded. It subsequently was released by the "Band of Gypsies" as the "B" side with "Stepping Stone" on the "A" side. By the time I heard the track on "Woodstock 2" it was long OOP, having been pulled after Hendrix complained about the mix. It was almost 30 years before I finally heard a studio recording when the Hendrix estate released several versions/mixes. It's still one of my all-time-favorite tracks from Hendrix. Unfortunately, it appears to be blocked on youtube due to "rights" issues in the US and I've been unable to find a complete recording of the Woodstock version or a studio version. What I *did* find is a kind of promo video made with Eddie Kramer, Hendrix's original engineer, who talks about the track and plays part of both the studio and Woodstock recordings. It gives you a very good idea about the song.

Jimi Hendrix - "Izabella":

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Pre Michael McDonald Doobie Brothers were a little before my time. I knew Black Water because of the Whats Happening episode where Rerun tried to sneak a recorder into one of their concerts, but didnt like it all that much. I also didnt care for the McDonald era at the time, so I never sought out or bought any of their music.

Then a few months ago late one night on AXStv I started watching a great documentary about the doobies. And I loved everything I heard from their early days and first few records. I wound up adding a bunch of their stuff to my library.

Black Water - I can appreciate this song much more as an adult. Love the vocals on this one and also that great acoustic guitar fret work. Im not a musician but it sounded like fret work to me. Such a fun song, but also so tight.

China Grove - nice little rocker with their trademark choppy guitar chords and nice harmonies, and a nice energy to it.

It Keeps You Running - again, I can appreciate this more as an adult, musically and lyrically, but its still not something Im crazy about.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Vangelis - Celestial Whispers - its taken me a few days to comment because Im not sure how to explain my feelings on this. It doesnt sound like music to me in the traditional sense. Its definitely art, and kind of beautiful, but while a few people have commented that it would relax them or put them to sleep, to me it sounds like something I should be meditating to or trying to look introspectively at myself. And I dont have the patience to do either of those things. But maybe thats the whole point.

Enya - Epona - this one worked a little better in that there was music I could discern and it was kind of peaceful.

Stairway - Raindreaming part II - didnt work for me at all. It sounded like a one minute loop played over and over 3 or 4 times.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Doobie Brothers

"China Grove"
:
I remember this one. The chorus is very catchy and therefore imbedded in my brain from way back when. Nice track.

The Doobie Brothers

"It Keeps You Runnin'"

I don't care for this one for the very reasons you highlighted. The vocals just aren't comparable.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Doobie Brothers - Black Water
Yep. Another great classic song I hadn't heard in many years.

Jimi Hendrix - "Izabella":
I've heard this before. I suspect Hendrix is one of those artists whose work has permeated so many films over the years that you've heard a lot of his work without knowing it. I'm thinking this may have been featured in one of the Austin Powers films?

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Nellie McKay

Ding Dong
- the chorus was really catchy and I enjoyed her higher pitched vocals. The rest of the song was okay, but instead of Doris Day it sounded like she was slipping in and out of a Zsa Zsa Gabor impression.

Sari - I couldnt follow the lyrics, she didnt sound as feminine as the previous song, and between some of the word choices and all of the overdubs it didnt flow right. A miss for me.

Close Your Eyes - Wow. After listening to this I immediately opened Yahoo music and downloaded the entire album. Loved it.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Ive mentioned that I wasnt a fan of british new wave pop bands in the 80s. But there was one british artist from that time that I really liked, Nick Lowe. I think I first heard/saw him on Night Flight. His songs are short and catchy with some really nice instrumentation.

He also played on John Hiatt's breakout record "bring the family" along with Ry Cooder and Jim Keltner. Then in 1992 the four of them got together as Little Village and put out a fun little album.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Nick Lowe:

Cruel To Be Kind

It's a decent song but pretty ordinary as the genre goes. If I heard this playing I would listen and even get into it but I wouldn't seek it out.

"I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass"
Pretty much the same as above but even more sparse on substance.

"7 Night To Rock"
This one's pretty cool. He kind of pulls off an American 60's sound here. Nice little track, especially the piano.

"Take Another Look"
Meh... Again, this one sounds fine but is just instantly forgettable.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Nick Lowe, "Cruel To Be Kind" - Sounds like a missing 60s track and like dozens of similar songs from that era it's nothing new or different. Listenable but nothing I'd add to my collection due to its rather generic sound.

Nick Lowe, "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass" - This one has more of a mid-late 70s pop sound. Again, rather generic. I'd skip this one if it came on.

Nick Lowe, "7 Nights to Rock" - And a flashback to the late 50s with another generic sounding song.

Based on these 3 tracks I'm guessing his schtick was to emulate other musical eras. In that respect he does a very good job. It's a shame they're so generic sounding to the point that had they been released in their respective eras I doubt they'd have charted very high.

Little Village, "Take Another Look" - It's OK and well produced but nothing I'd go for. The bridge section sounds a bit out of place.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
"Take Another Look"
Meh... Again, this one sounds fine but is just instantly forgettable.
I certainly understand this sentiment. I had high expectations for this album based upon the talent level and track record of the musicians and was initially underwhelmed. But its grown on me over the years.

I liken it to comfort food. I really like the sound of both Nick Lowe's and John Hiatt's voices. And I like the kind of spacey guitar lick prominent in this song. Is it a gourmet meal thats going to wow anyone? Probably not. Its simple, but it puts me in my happy place.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Close Your Eyes - Wow. After listening to this I immediately opened Yahoo music and downloaded the entire album. Loved it.
The thing I enjoy as much as discovering new music is introducing others to music I enjoy, as it corroborates my good taste. ;)

Actually, in most cases it helps me find a new perspective or inspires me to listen with a new set of ears, so to speak. That specific album I didn't listen to as much as her debut, so I'll be revisiting it now based on your positive response.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Nick Lowe

"Cruel To Be Kind" - I haven't heard this in a long, long time but I do remember hearing it on the radio. I would agree that the instrumentation on this song sort of has a catchy hook.

"I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass" - The opening moment of the song sounds like Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced. My first instinct was to ensure that I had selected the correct song. :) A little bit weaker than the first selection. Songs by their very nature are often repetitive, but this selection sort of went a little too far in that direction in terms of the vocals.

"7 Nights to Rock" - Based on this song, and the list of titles on the album art associated with the post this was one selection from a '50s themed album. On that basis the song works, it has decent energy and does fit the aesthetic. Unfortunately it doesn't really stand out in any significant way. It feels like something that you could find at random on the radio in the '50s. Okay, but a bit generic.

"Take Another Look" - Liked the opening instrumentation. Sonically, the most interesting of the four selections in terms of instrumentation. I could see how this could become something that an individual could come back to re-experience. Probably the best of the four tracks. Vocal harmonizations work pretty well also.

- Walter.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Here are a couple more of my Old School club favorites. For Dj's it's all about keeping people on the dance floor and songs like this with their driving rhythms and Electro/Synth effects were great at it. You didn't want people thinking about the music other than the fact that it was ever present and loud.

Trans-X - Living On Video​

911 – Twenty Four Seven​

Connie - Funky Little Beat

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here are a couple more of my Old School club favorites. For Dj's it's all about keeping people on the dance floor and songs like this with their driving rhythms and Electro/Synth effects were great at it. You didn't want people thinking about the music other than the fact that it was ever present and loud.

Trans-X - Living On Video​

911 – Twenty Four Seven​

Connie - Funky Little Beat

And all of that is why I avoided Dance Clubs like the plague... In all fairness, I don't much care for *any* clubs, dance or otherwise, and only go in one if I'm with a group and have no choice. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And all of that is why I avoided Dance Clubs like the plague... In all fairness, I don't much care for *any* clubs, dance or otherwise, and only go in one if I'm with a group and have no choice. :)
Ditto. I love dance music, but clubs are far too loud and too crowded for me unless someone twists my arm. I don't even like crowded restaurants (too loud with everyone talking at once), or any bar/restaurant that has live music of any kind. I will sometimes check websites or Facebook to make sure there's no live music scheduled that night before going to a restaurant.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Oh I'm pretty much the same and always have been but when you're there working it's sort of different.
Ditto. I love dance music, but clubs are far too loud and too crowded for me unless someone twists my arm.

Generally true and a hazard of the job but Military clubs were not nearly as bad. Some were actually quite intimate in a general sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks