What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Obviously, these videos/songs are dated and goofy but they are also fun. And even though they are crassly commercial, they bring a smile to my face since they represent a simpler time and are a time capsule of the Freddy phenomenon hitting its peak in 1987 and 1988.
As well as the time when artists would record original songs expressly for use in movies. That doesn't seem to happen any more.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The original version of "Waiting For Tonight" by 3rd Party.

This song was later covered and made famous by Jennifer Lopez (JLo).

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Rick James

"Super Freak"

This was one of the first few rock videos I saw back in the day. I picked up the record a few days later after seeing this, and was playing side 1 over and over all the time for the next month.

Love both of these awesome Funk tracks. Rick James was a sheer genius, musically. It is so sad that, as with many such individuals, they seem unable to contain their personal demons, which often lead to their undoing.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Fat Boys Are you ready for Freddy
Hadn't heard this one. Assuming it was towards the end of their careers. Also not sure if it's possible to "wake up dead" as the lyrics proclaim. :)

Dokken - Dream Warriors
This sounds familiar so I've probably heard it at some point but can't specifically remember. I like the vocals and guitar. Nice Rock track.
Man that Freddy Krueger phenomenon was huge back in the day.

Robyn

Show Me

Agree with your assessment. The structure and style of this song are about as "industry" as it gets but the vocals do give it a boost.

Dancing On My Own
I don't get songs like this where they use repetitive Electronic drums to back a vocal track. The two just don't go together. This would have been a lot better with proper musical backing in my opinion.

Call Your Girlfriend
And here we go again. This one is better than "Dancing" but I still feel the Electronic musical bed takes away from the vocals.

Waiting For Tonight
Much prefer the J'Lo version. This one plays too much like a House track and it does work as such, so all good.

Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
Nice track. Love the lead guitar and the overall Blues feel.

Melissa Etheridge - I'm The Only One
I like some of Melissa's other tracks better vocally but the music on this one is awesome.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If I were a DJ, I'd probably play this one over the J-Lo one. I also think the vocals have more character. I've always found J-Los vocals kind of weak in general.

The original version of "Waiting For Tonight" by 3rd Party.

This song was later covered and made famous by Jennifer Lopez (JLo).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Isn't this true of all dance music? To me the backing track for Robyn's material is way more interesting than something like Waiting for Tonight's. But to each his own.
I don't get songs like this where they use repetitive Electronic drums to back a vocal track.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I liked the JLo's spanish version of "Una Noche Mas" more than the overplayed english version of "Waiting For Tonight".

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Force MD's, "Force MD's Meet the Fat Boys" - :rolling-smiley: OK... I'm not into rap or most comedy in music tracks. As soon as the Gilligan's Island theme kicked in they had me... While it's not one I'd pick it's also not one I'd skip should it happen to come up. That's saying quite a lot for me...

Fatboys & The Beach Boys, "Wipeout" - I could do without the lame intro. Once the song started it was OK - not as good as the prior but not a eject button candidate either.

<======================>

Rick James, "Super Freak" - I'd have sworn this one was posted before but couldn't find it. Possibly his most well known song. It's OK and one of a handful of disco tracks I'll usually listen to if it comes up though not one I'll pick myself.

Rick James, "Give it to Me Baby" - More generic disco/dance music. Pass...

<======================>

Fat Boys, "Are you ready for Freddy" - Nope. Don't like the movie series (not my type of "horror") nor the music. Add my overall dislike of "music video" in general and it's a full pass.

Dokken, "Dream Warriors" - I like the song - don't care for the video. I've only heard a few tracks from Dokken but recall enjoying what I've heard though I've never added any to my collection. Maybe due to them being "one of those 80s hair bands" I generally ignored.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Robyn, "Show Me Love" - I kind of like the song. It reminds me of Aretha Franklin's "Until You Come Back To Me" and rips off significant portions, especially the main melody - don't care for the voice as it sounds like an auto-tune special in play.

Robyn, "Dancing On My Own" - The voice sounds less auto-tuned here but I still don't care for it. The song is too much of a droning dance thing for me to get into.

Robyn, "Call Your Girlfriend" - See above... repeat...

These type of songs are the kind when played back to back just kind of run together to the point I never know when one ends and another starts as they all tend to sound pretty much the same rhythmically and are often in the same key with identical chord changes.

Aretha Franklin - "Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)":

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think this is why I like Robyn for driving music. When I was driving my future wife across the country we listened to Robyn a lot. 😄

Can rarely go wrong with Aretha Franklin.

These type of songs are the kind when played back to back just kind of run together to the point I never know when one ends and another starts as they all tend to sound pretty much the same rhythmically and are often in the same key with identical chord changes.

Aretha Franklin - "Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)":

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Speaking of hairspray metal, here's something I came across in $2 cd dump bins and something which jogged my memory back to the mtv era.

Keel - "Because The Night". Cover of a patti smith / bruce springsteen song.

Keel - "Friday Every Night". This sounds like a demo from an album which was never released.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Something which was on mtv back in the day, and a long forgotten track.

Cinderalla - Nobody's Fool

Poison - No More Lookin' Back

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Keel -- Because the Night

Yesterday on the way home our Sirius station played a cover of Careless Whisper by Train and Kenny G. I was just - NO. I kind of feel the same way about Keel's cover of Because the Night. :)

Springsteen gets a pass for doing it in 2010 because he wrote the song.

I imagine I first heard the song from 10,000 Maniacs for MTV Unplugged.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Keel -- Because the Night

Yesterday on the way home our Sirius station played a cover of Careless Whisper by Train and Kenny G. I was just - NO. I kind of feel the same way about Keel's cover of Because the Night. :)

Springsteen gets a pass for doing it in 2010 because he wrote the song.

I imagine I first heard the song from 10,000 Maniacs for MTV Unplugged.

At the time, I didn't know who played/wrote the original version.

Years later, I found the Natalie Merchant and Patti Smith versions were much better than the others I've heard over the decades.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I saw Fiona Apple's Criminal was posted earlier, but here's something from her later efforts. Albums When the Pawn and Extraordinary Machine have definitely gotten more play on my stereo compared to her debut.

I learned some years later that Apple's sister is also a singer and recording artist, but in a totally different vein.

Then the sisters did a track together on Apple's 2012 Idler Wheel... album, though this wasn't the first time they recorded something together (they did It's Only a Paper Moon for one of Maude's albums).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Would love to see some copies of Night Flight available for purchase somewhere. What a crazy show that was
So would I. That show was crazy cool.
Partyline "Trophy Wifey"
All of these genres amuse me to no end. In any case, I see this as more female driven Punk. What is it's appeal for you?
To me its like the best of both worlds (peanut butter and chocolate for example) . I love punk, I like female vocalists. Put em together, and you get some very cool, and strange, and funny song mechanics.

With "Trophy Wifey" from Partyline I think the entire song is catchy as hell, and the ladies that were in the band are easy on the eyes (come on that drummer, and the guitarist are adorable). Also I think Partyline is frontrunner Allison Wolfe's best band to date. Better than Bratmobile, and way better than the Sex Stains.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Keel, "Because The Night" - That video... shades of Spinal Tap, eh? Why bother to do a cover and not change it at least a bit? That's OK for a generic bar/prom band playing for fun/extra money but not a "professional" group.

Keel, "Friday Every Night" - This one's the better of the two tracks. Yes, it *does* have a demo kind of sound - like something's just a bit off/missing. And it still sounds like any of a dozen other "hair metal" bands of the era.

Cinderella, "Nobody's Fool" - A decent enough power ballad even if it's a bit generic in sound/style/composition. I've heard of this group but can't say for sure I've ever really listened to anything they released. Seeing videos of bands like this makes it kind of hard to take them seriously (that's with *all* of these type of groups - even the few I *did* listen to).

Poison, "No More Lookin' Back" - I've heard a few songs from this group but not this one, at least not that I know. I didn't care for this one. My daughter loved this band and I gave her no end of grief over them, especially after I saw the album cover of a record I purchased for her. At least that album has a couple of their better songs, "Nothin' But a Good Time" and "Every Rose Has its Thorn" - although both were victims of being overplayed... I told her "If you're going to listen to "hair metal" at least listen to one of the better bands, like Def Leppard...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks