What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (8 Viewers)

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's probably a better spin on it. The rest of the album that Ready to Go is on is very similar aesthetically and it looks like they only did one additional album after it, but I haven't sought it out to see if it's still the same style as their debut.

Republica - Great song. Its funny that you call it Eurodance with some electric guitar. Id call it a Rock song with some eurodance undercurrents. But im not familiar with anything else theyve done so you might be more correct.

That's not really my type of music but even I dig it. It helps that it's prominently featured in the movie Scream (which I love) but it's a really cool song on its own.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The Corrs - "Runaway" - Adult/contemporary isn't a style that normally makes the rotation when I listen to music; but... This really was a lovely song. Nice balance between the vocals and instrumentation. I think I have one or two Corrs CDs that I sort of purchased on a whim when I was buying everything published back in the '90s but I haven't listened to this group in ages. Might need to correct that.

Paramore - "Crushcrushcrush" - Not bad; a bit generic but I liked the tempo and energy of the song. I like Hayley Williams vocals on this song and the instrumentation gets the job done. The song doesn't really stand out, but I wouldn't change the station on the radio if it came on.

Republica - "Ready to Go" - Like the aggressive vocal style of the lead vocalist Saffron. Another track that exhibits good energy and tempo. The instrumentation has some good hooks and definitely gets the blood pumping. Sort of liked how the song opened and then transitioned into another style. One of those tracks that surprises me how much I enjoy the song. Another plus is that the associated music video did not induce a seizure, which is good. :)

- Walter.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Nena - Nur Geträumt (Just A Dream)

There was an english version of the same song , on the american version of the first album.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Heavens to Betsy- "Terrorist"

Ignoring the vocals, this sounds like the really sloppy punk rock or metal I listened to back in the late 1980s.

If it was sloppy sounding metal, the lyrics were usually silly meaningless stuff. In contrast, the sloppy punk rock stuff typically had political type lyrics.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ignoring the vocals, this sounds like the really sloppy punk rock or metal I listened to back in the late 1980s.

If it was sloppy sounding metal, the lyrics were usually silly meaningless stuff. In contrast, the sloppy punk rock stuff typically had political type lyrics.
Like the other girl punk band "Partyline" most of appeal to me have always been the lyrics. While deadly serious on certain subjects the lyrics themselves like true punk are just stupid, and funny. And catchy if you dig that sort of thing.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Corrs, "Runaway" - Enjoyable track from them. I was amazed when I discovered they're all siblings. A very talented group though they tend towards too much of a pop sound for my tastes.

Paramore, "crushcrushcrush" - Very odd - has a pop layer over a more metal foundation. Enjoyable but just a bit too much pop/dance sounding.

Republica, "Ready to Go" - This is more like it. Still has a kind of dance vibe but far less of a pop sound. I'd listen to more of this group.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Inspired by the song and band names from preceding posts:

Runaway by the Corrs (AKA the most beautiful musical family of the 2000s):

Crushcrushcrush by Paramore:

and Crush's songs reminded me of the band Republica, which mixed the eurodance up a little by incorporating electric guitar riffs.

I like Paramore.

Republica's 'Ready to Go' is like a time stamp of a great year of my life. I'm not even sure what year it was but I remember that song being played nonstop when it was released, and it was always attached to good memories of hanging out with friends, and loving life. I even bought the CD because of the memories..really decent song too:)

EDIT: 1996!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Diamondz, "I Have the Power" - Starts off very nice, kind of like a ballad. Then turns into just another dance track.

Diamondz, "You Are The Star" - Yep... more dance stuff. At least the middle eastern rhythms/instruments add a *bit* of interesting change.

Diamondz, "My Heart is Broken" - And back to generic pop/dance/electronica with this one.

This group isn't my style at all...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Juli, "Perfekte Welle" - This sounded like yet another pop/dance tune. Nope...

Juli, "Warum" - Much better. Shows potential. This is more of an alternative style - so what's up with her? Can't decide the genre or changed along the way? If this is typical of her material I'd listen to more but not that pop/dance stuff of the first song.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Like the other girl punk band "Partyline" most of appeal to me have always been the lyrics. While deadly serious on certain subjects the lyrics themselves like true punk are just stupid, and funny. And catchy if you dig that sort of thing.

Back in the day, one band which had really serious lyrics while being a satire/parody at the same time, was the Dead Kennedys. Almost like "deadpan" humor.

Whether anybody agreed with Jello's politics or not, he was very well informed about world politics + pop culture and could write it into something subversive and humorous at the same time.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Back in the day, one band which had really serious lyrics while being a satire/parody at the same time, was the Dead Kennedys. Almost like "deadpan" humor.

Whether anybody agreed with Jello's politics or not, he was very well informed about world politics + pop culture and could write it into something subversive and humorous at the same time.
Exactly. It has been my experience with punk. Great stuff, I mean that is true punk rock. Serious issues, all the while the absurdity of them in strange lyrics. One of the reason I love the genre.

The first punk band I was into was The Dead Milkmen, I bought every CD I could find.
The Dead Milkmen- "Dean's Dream"

and
"Punk Rock Girl"

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Juli, "Warum" - Much better. Shows potential. This is more of an alternative style - so what's up with her? Can't decide the genre or changed along the way? If this is typical of her material I'd listen to more but not that pop/dance stuff of the first song.

The other songs on the album and subsequent albums were somewhat more varied.

(More generally).

Even with american pop/rock bands, sometimes the producer or record company insists on a band/act recording songs which could be a "radio hit". If the band/act are not very proficient songwriters, the producer could just hire a professional songwriter to conjure up a "radio hit" for them.

Over the past 20+ years or so, the go to guy for generating big hits on-demand is Max Martin. Slightly further back in time, it was writers like Desmond Child, Diane Warren, etc ...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Republica's 'Ready to Go' is like a time stamp of a great year of my life. I'm not even sure what year it was but I remember that song being played nonstop when it was released, and it was always attached to good memories of hanging out with friends, and loving life. I even bought the CD because of the memories..really decent song too:)

EDIT: 1996!

The equivalent musical "time stamp" in my life with a similar scenario ^ , was probably Duran Duran.

"Hungry Like A Wolf"

"The Reflex"

"Girls On Film"

(In those days, they were derided as being an 80s equivalent of The Bee Gees flash in a pan).

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Duran Duran

'Hungry Like the Wolf'

probably their most popular song. I still like it today when I hear it on the radio.

'The Reflex'
Another good song. Very good.

'Girls on Film'
I like this one too, although for the life of me I cannot remember it being played the radio.

My earliest memories of Duran Duran was a video of their song "Union of the Snake' being played late night on USA Networks' "Night Flight" in the very early 80's.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
'Girls on Film'
I like this one too, although for the life of me I cannot remember it being played the radio.

There was little support for Duran Duran in the US with their first self-titled album that included this song. Their first US chart success was with the second album Rio and the single "Hungry Like the Wolf" (#3).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Dead Milkmen, "Dean's Dream" - Not much of a fan of punk. Didn't care for this one.

The Dead Milkmen, "Punk Rock Girl" - Same with this track.

I do like a few things from the Sex Pistols, Ramones, and some others but it's really random tracks. I own a greatest hits for the Sex Pistols but rarely listen to it as I found only a couple of tracks I like and just put them on a "random songs" drive for the car.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Duran Duran, "Hungry Like the Wolf" - I've liked this one since I first heard it, but not enough to purchase a copy.

Duran Duran, "The Reflex" - Didn't care for this one - especially the early group harmony part which sounded just a hair off key. It also became somewhat grating about half way through.

Duran Duran, "Girls on Film" - Very generic sound. Don't particularly care for it.

The Bee Gees have far more talent than these guys.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Before they turned disco, The Bee Gees released some excellent material (and I'll admit to liking several of their disco hits). Here's a sampler from 3 of their eras - early pop, psychelic, and early disco (that really doesn't sound like disco).

The Bee Gees - "To Love Somebody":

The Bee Gees - "Lonely Days":

The Bee Gees - "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart":

The Bee Gees - "Jive Talkin'":

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Duran Duran, "Hungry Like the Wolf" - I've liked this one since I first heard it, but not enough to purchase a copy.

For the longest time, I didn't buy any Duran Duran albums either.

I only started picking up their cds, sometime during the 2000s when I saw them at a garage sale for $1. It was a greatest hits cd, and one of their forgettable long forgotten albums from the 1990s.

It was only a few years ago that I finally picked up their classic early-mid 80s albums, as an impulse buy at wallyworld.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I do like a few things from the Sex Pistols, Ramones, and some others but it's really random tracks. I own a greatest hits for the Sex Pistols but rarely listen to it as I found only a couple of tracks I like and just put them on a "random songs" drive for the car.

(More generally).

The equivalent of "random songs" I play either at home or in the car, consists mostly of Iron Maiden studio albums released over the past 20+ years or so. (I don't listen to any of their live albums after the 1980s, which mostly sound like they're just "phoning it in" or "going through the motions").

I use to listen Iron Maiden's classic albums back in the 1980s, where I would be playing them over and over again all the time. After the early 1990s, I more or less stopped listening to their then-newer albums.

The great thing about listening to Iron Maiden albums from over the past 20+ years or so (ie. after Bruce Dickinson rejoined the band), is that I'm not familiar with the songs and they don't have any "emotional / nostaligic context" for me. (In contrast, Iron Maiden's 1980s albums are all classics with a lot of "emotional / nostalgic context" for me). But nevertheless the classic Iron Maiden "sound" is still there in these y2k and later albums, which takes on a vague sense of familiarity for me.

Essentially Iron Maiden's albums over the past 20+ years or so, functions as the equivalent of familiar musical "white noise" or "muzak" for me, but without triggering anything emotional / nostalgic. (As paradoxical this may sound, if it makes any sense).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gyao