What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (2 Viewers)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Another mid-1990s dance track which was popular briefly in some places: "Run Away" by Real McCoy. (Dunno if they were ever popular in america).
They were actually one of the more successful Eurodance acts in America, with four Top 40 hits. "Another Night" and "Run Away" were both #3 hits, with "Come and Get Your Love" (#19) and "One More Time" (#27) also charting. Another minor hit was "Automatic Lover" (#52).

The album "Another Night" (US version of "Space Invaders") was certified double platinum in the U.S. (2 Million copies).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Danny Elfman, "The Little Things" - The vocals sound like something else I know well - name escapes me (kind of my theme song...). I like it well enough though wouldn't put it on myself.

Golden Earring, "Radar Love" - Very familiar with this one as it's part of the soundtrack to my HS and early college years. It's an excellent song.

Another good track from Golden Earring is "Twilight Zone":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Riot Grrl, "Partyline 'Trophy Wife'" - Girls doing punk. Meh.

La Bouche, "Be My Lover" - More generic party/dance stuff with that same repetitive boring beat.

Crush, "Jellyhead" - The "pop punk" version could be pretty good if it dropped the autobeat/synthesized drums/rhythm track in favor of actual instruments.

Crush, "Jellyhead" - And instead of using actual instruments they jettisoned all of them for a pure electonica track. Not my style at all.

I'd change the channel/skip the track/just turn it off if any of these came on while I was listening. Of course, none of these would ever be played on any station I'd listen to so I'd be pretty safe there.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Lonzo & Oscar, "I'm My Own Grandpa" - Thankfully I've not heard this one in years... I hope it's years more before it comes up again...

<=======================>

MC Sar & The Real McCoy, "Run Away" - They lost me completely long before the vocals began. Predictable and boring 80s dance material.

Real McCoy, "Run Away" - At least this one doesn't have the far too long "intro" - it's still the same song in spite of that with the exact same electronic rhythm track. If I heard them back to back (well... I guess I just did) I'd be unable to tell you when one ended and the other begins.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Another good track from Golden Earring is "Twilight Zone":
Very nice, though I think I'd search out the shorter single version. The song is familiar, though I wouldn't have been able to come up with the title or band from memory. Released in 1982, that would have been just about the time I was old enough to begin to recognize rock/pop on the radio. My first memories of listening to and recognizing singers was from listening to 8-tracks in the car with my mother. One of our first favorites that I can remember was Pat Benatar's "Crimes of Passion" album. It was probably around 1983-84 when I first started buying singles and albums that I liked.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Hmmm... I don't know that I ever knew there was a shorter, single, version of "Twilight Zone." The version I posted is the only one I recall hearing. It's also what's in my collection.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A lot of the eurodance stuff from the 1990s was rather forgettable. The only reason I still remember a lot of it, was that I use to hang out at dance nightclubs in those days where eurodance stuff was always being played. (Also on some dance music radio stations I tuned into while driving). I even met my first wife at such places, on the dance floor.

Except for Crush/Jellyhead, for the longest time I didn't know who the actual artists were. It was only over the past decade or so, when I finally figured who the original arists were which produced such 90s era dance hits. Mostly from looking up 90s music on youtube.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Danny Elfman - "The Little Things" - Nice rocking tune. Watching the clip sort of makes me want to revisit the film. Always liked the profane exploding keyboard gag. The wikipedia page for the soundtrack mentions Robert Palmer when discussing this song. Perhaps that is who Bob was attempting to recall?

Golden Earring - "Radar Love" - I've probably heard this a million times on FM radio over the years. Another one of those songs ( and groups ) that I would happily listen to when they came on the radio, but never felt compelled to own. The lead singer's voice or perhaps singing style never really clicked with me. A case where I like the instrumentation more than the vocals.

Partyline - "Trophy Wife" - I did not like this. I'm sort of okay with punk if the instrumentation is strong enough, but this song didn't satisfy that requirement and I really disliked the vocals on this track.

La Bouche - "Be My Lover" - The lead singer has some vocal talent, but not a style of music that I like.

Crush, "Jellyhead" - Like the energy and the overall rhythms of the song. Once the electronic music kicks in it kind of loses me. The vocals are pleasant enough. Sort of okay. (Sort of.)

Crush, "Jellyhead" - Did not like the backing instrumentation on this version. Nope.

Golden Earring - "Twilight Zone" - (Also heard this a bunch of times on FM radio over the years.) Pretty much the same reaction to this song as Radar Love. I think I like this song a little more, although I haven't given it much thought as to why that is the case.

Heavens to Betsy- "Terrorist" - Not a fan of the screaming vocals. (Like an icepick to the eardrum.) The backing instrumentation is fine for what the song is trying to accomplish. I could put a vocal free version on in the background, or on the radio in the car while driving and be fine with it.

- Walter.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Danny Elfman - "The Little Things" - Nice rocking tune. Watching the clip sort of makes me want to revisit the film. Always liked the profane exploding keyboard gag. The wikipedia page for the soundtrack mentions Robert Palmer when discussing this song. Perhaps that is who Bob was attempting to recall?
No - not really familiar with Robert Palmer's material enough. It's a newer, alternative, band that this is reminding me of... it's on the tip of my tongue...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Heavens To Betsy, "Terrorist" - The "vocals" on this one are an absolute turn off. The rest has a punk sound - another genre where there's a very limited selection of material I actually like enough to listen to on occasion.

sleroi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Heavens to Betsy "Terrorist" - loved this song. Especially when the vocals went from screaming to shrieking. Pure energy and attitude.

Dramarama Anything, Anything - I think the video ruined this song for me, the singer seemed more interested in posing than really being angry. His looks were contradictory to the tone of the song so it didnt ring true to me.

sleroi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Golden Earring -
Radar Love and Twilight Zone
Im familiar with both songs and like them just fine. I dont switch the station when they come on. But Ive never felt an urge to buy any of their albums or sample any more of their stuff.

sleroi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Divine Fits Flaggin a Ride - there wasnt anything particularly bad about it, but I didnt find it particularly interesting either. Just not a style of music I care for.

Danny Elfman the Little Things - a nice little rocker. The vocals were fine and I liked the instrumental portion towards the end.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Inspired by the song and band names from preceding posts:

Runaway by the Corrs (AKA the most beautiful musical family of the 2000s):

Crushcrushcrush by Paramore:

and Crush's songs reminded me of the band Republica, which mixed the eurodance up a little by incorporating electric guitar riffs.

sleroi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
The Corrs - yes the singer has a beautiful voice. And I liked the hint of Celtic in the music. But beyond that it kind of sounded like a 90s adult contemporary love song. Like something Celine Dion might have recorded. Not bad, but not my thing.

Paramore - this song has a nice beat and energy to it, but overall struck me as a rather generic rock song.

Republica - Great song. Its funny that you call it Eurodance with some electric guitar. Id call it a Rock song with some eurodance undercurrents. But im not familiar with anything else theyve done so you might be more correct.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This is something very different. The bands name phonetically sounds like "Diamondz".

They're sorta like a destiny's child, but with four girls with very israeli/jewish sounding names. (Song titles poorly translated on google translate).

"I Have The Power"

"You Are The Star"

"My Heart is Broken"

זן נדיר​

This was the stuff my ex-wife listened to back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sujoy2216