What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Grizzly Bear

"Disappearing Act":
I get nothing from this one. Is it one of those mood-dependent songs? Would be interested in knowing what you like about it.

"Knife":
Well, you compared them to Pink Floyd and, with this selection, I can see why. While some of Floyd's material did appeal to me musically and acoustically, I'm not getting the same thing here.

While You Wait For The Others":
A little more engaging than Disappearing Act but, overall, still not doing anything for me. Seems like one of those songs you had to hear at the appropriate time in your life to have a lasting appreciation for. Is that it?

Sleeping Ute:
Unadultered laser Show material for sure. :eek:

The short version is the group's appeal is based on the overall sonics of the songs. I tend to like avant-garde style music as long as there is some melodious content. Especially when the compositions exhibit some layering and density. With this group it is all about mood and tone (as you alluded). More specifically...

Disappearing Act - I like the second half of the song more than the first half. Particularly like the guitar and the overall tone of the song. It is probably the weakest (for me) of the four songs posted, but I prefer to post songs from successive albums. Maybe I could have found a better selection from the debut album? (which is arguably the weakest for the group)

Knife - I like the smoothness of the vocals and the flow of the instrumentation and the symbiotic effect of the combination and how well they fit together in the song's opening. From there the song builds, which is usually an effective music construct for me and then it morphs into a nice mood piece during the closing of the song.

While You Wait For The Others - "Seems like one of those songs you had to hear at the appropriate time in your life to have a lasting appreciation for. Is that it?" I'm not that complicated. :) Like the (sort of) Industrial feel of the backing material and I actually think the vocals are really strong on this tune. The combination of the aggressive backing material with the more melodious components creates an interesting combination.

Sleeping Ute - I like how the song opens and the pronounced backing material for this song. Another song that starts one way and morphs into something else with a subdued closing. Another strong set of vocals from a tonality point of view.

In addition to the attributes already mentioned, there is a strong sense of musicality (as in technical proficiency) which is one of the characteristics of this act that I hold in high regard.

- Walter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Around 20-25 years ago, was Creed ever lumped into the alternative/CC category?

Creed's three albums from that time (i.e My Own Prison, Human Clay, Weathered), had lyrics which looked religious/spiritual.
So what I would consider a CC artist, besides overt devotional and religious lyrics, is whether they initially signed with CC labels like Myrrh or Sparrow (back in the day). Bands like Creed, who first signed with secular labels are ones I'd describe as "artists who happen to be Christian." Paramore is another example of this.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
The album from which this song comes, "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" is one of the few Wilco albums I own and I like the album quite a bit.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and The Whole Love are my favorite Wilco albums and I could have posted almost any track off either album.

Im surprised by the reaction to I'm the man who loves you, but thats what makes this thread fun. The intro reminds me of the Beatles White Album, then it segues into some Byrds like vocals, then some nice emphatic horns, then finishes with some Crazy Horse style guitar. Its a mash up of a lot of things I like, but it still makes sense to me as a Wilco song.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Been there. Done that. Then there were the "mayonnaise sandwiches" when meat wasn't available

Sounds like a wish sandwich, bow bow bow.

One time when I was 6 or 7 and didnt like what was for dinner my mom said if I can find something else I was free to eat it. The only thing in the refrigerator besides milk was a bottle of mustard and an open can of sliced black olives. I found half a loaf of bread in the pantry and made a mustard and black olive sandwich. Every once in a blue moon I'll still eat one.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Blues Brothers brings in this classic team up...

Joe Cocker & John Belushi - "Feelin' Alright":

Another of those performances that I saw when it aired - live.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The short version is the group's appeal is based on the overall sonics of the songs. I tend to like avant-garde style music as long as there is some melodious content. Especially when the compositions exhibit some layering and density. With this group it is all about mood and tone (as you alluded). More specifically...

Disappearing Act - I like the second half of the song more than the first half. Particularly like the guitar and the overall tone of the song. It is probably the weakest (for me) of the four songs posted, but I prefer to post songs from successive albums. Maybe I could have found a better selection from the debut album? (which is arguably the weakest for the group)

Knife - I like the smoothness of the vocals and the flow of the instrumentation and the symbiotic effect of the combination and how well they fit together in the song's opening. From there the song builds, which is usually an effective music construct for me and then it morphs into a nice mood piece during the closing of the song.

While You Wait For The Others - "Seems like one of those songs you had to hear at the appropriate time in your life to have a lasting appreciation for. Is that it?" I'm not that complicated. :) Like the (sort of) Industrial feel of the backing material and I actually think the vocals are really strong on this tune. The combination of the aggressive backing material with the more melodious components creates an interesting combination.

Sleeping Ute - I like how the song opens and the pronounced backing material for this song. Another song that starts one way and morphs into something else with a subdued closing. Another strong set of vocals from a tonality point of view.

In addition to the attributes already mentioned, there is a strong sense of musicality (as in technical proficiency) which is one of the characteristics of this act that I hold in high regard.

- Walter.
Thank you for taking the time to explain. I think you already understand this but when I inquire about a song or group of songs it is born of legitimate curiosity as opposed to criticism or judgement. I'm just a very curious person. For me nostalgia plays a significant role in my musical tastes so I thought that might be the case for you as well.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Blues Brothers brings in this classic team up...

Joe Cocker & John Belushi - "Feelin' Alright":

Another of those performances that I saw when it aired - live.

Never seen a live version of this one. Nice submission! Is it me or is Joe Cocker a dead ringer for Quentin Tarantino. :crazy:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for taking the time to explain. I think you already understand this but when I inquire about a song or group of songs it is born of legitimate curiosity as opposed to criticism or judgement. I'm just a very curious person. For me nostalgia plays a significant role in my musical tastes so I thought that might be the case for you as well.

You're welcome. Believe me, I understand that inquisitiveness is the motivation for these types of questions. No problems on my end. :)

Nostalgia can play a role for me at times, although for the purposes of this thread I usually try to identify those occurrences. For the most part it mainly plays a role in music from my 'formative' years unless there is a significant moment in my life attached to the song / artist. (A group like Grizzly Bear is way, way outside of my formative years. :) )

- Walter.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Came across a couple of interesting tracks during my evening explorations again.

For me this one has a strong energy, some cool, hip vocals and an overall fun feel. never heard of the artist before but will definitely be exploring further.

Divine Fits - Flaggin A Ride​

Had someone else posted this I would likely have panned it, saying the guy was yelling instead of singing and the music was over the top but hearing it in the context I originally did made for a different impression. It was used in a TV show and fit perfectly with the context of the scene.

Dramarama - Anything Anything

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Blues Brothers - "Rubber Biscuit" - Definitely remember the song although I am attempting to recall if it was performed on SNL. Probably, but I don't have a specific memory. The performances by Aykroyd and Belushi as The Blues Brothers were fun in a novelty sort of way but I was never a huge fan. Entertaining, but just okay.

-----

Joe Cocker & John Belushi - "Feelin' Allright" - I saw this on SNL when it originally aired. Pretty memorable for Belushi's inspired mimicry.

-----

Divine Fits - "Flaggin A Ride" - Kind of liked the energy in this song. The backing instrumentation was varied enough to maintain my interest. Surprisingly entertaining.

DramaDrama - "Anything Anything" - First, not the sort of material I would associate with the poster. :) Didn't care for the screaming portions of the vocals, the rest was okay. The instrumentation had a good beat and some energy although it felt kind of unremarkable. I can relate to how context can improve or hinder the effectiveness of a song, so that sort of makes sense.

- Walter.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Divine Fits - Interesting track. I like the music and the delivery, but I'm not sure about the guy's actual voice.

Dramarama - I've heard of this band before, but not sure I've ever actually heard any of their songs. Not bad, though nothing I'd listen to regularly. It actually reminds me of another song that I cannot come up with at the moment. It also triggered my memory of this Danny Elfman song from the film, Wanted:

EDIT: I think the other song I was thinking of above was Golden Earring's "Radar Love"

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe the Riot Grrl genre has been covered. I'll start with

Partyline "Trophy Wifey"

RNI-Films-IMG-75627F6F-DD89-4BD1-9630-6F906B5861F6.JPG

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Something which was overplayed in the mid-1990s in some places: "Be My Lover" by Melanie Thornton / La Bouche.

(One of the few live recordings from that peak era, where Thornton was singing live and not lip syncing. It sounds close to the original studio version).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another mid-1990s overplayed one-hit wonder in some places: "Jellyhead" by Crush.

There were two completely different versions officially released: pop punk and eurodance.

(This was one of the few then-new cd titles I purchased at the time).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Never heard Partyline before.

Trophy Wife sounds like the type of stuff I could have been into in the late 80s.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Crush-Jellyhead

I never heard it before. Defiantly 90's sound unmistakable. I'd listen to it on the radio if I heard it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another mid-1990s dance track which was popular briefly in some places: "Run Away" by Real McCoy. (Dunno if they were ever popular in america).

There were two different versions: an american version and a european one.

The american video was never released back in the day. The cut has an Orwell 1984 vibe to it, which probably Arista didn't think it reflected the times and image of a eurodance act.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Divine Fits, "Flaggin A Ride" - This one sounds like an under produced Tears for Fears track. It's not bad. It's also nothing I'd search out for myself.

Dramarama, "Anything Anything" - I wouldn't exactly call the singing style "yelling" but it's not far from it. Otherwise it's a kind of generic 80s new wave sounding track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks