What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Elastica, Veruca Salt, the Breeders - loved all 3 songs. Great rocking, groovy tunes. I didnt recognize the name Breeders but as soon as that funky riff kicked in I was like, "hey, I know this song!" and now I can add it to my library.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The final album I remember having a lot of emotional/nostalgia context for me, was the Singles movie soundtrack. At the time, I saw the film in the theater with my then-gf, which turned out to have a decent soundtrack.

This was when I first heard the music of Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam. The next day I picked up Ten, and later Facelift. (I already had Soundgarden's Louder Than Love, after seeing them live previously when they were not widely known).

The next batch of grunge bands I never really got into at the time, like Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, etc ... . I had already drifted away from music by then.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Liz Phair - "Supernova" - Like the track, but tend to agree with others that the vocals are buried just a bit in the mix. Still a nice selection.

Throwing Muses - "Not Too Soon" - Not familiar with this artist. Good rocking beat. I like Tanya Donelly's voice, but there are portions of the song where it is less effective due to the mix. Like the rhythms and instrumentation on this song.

-----

Tom Browne - "Funkin' For Jamaica" - Pretty solid selection. Like the horns and the beat of the song. Nice vocals by the late Toni Smith.

- Walter.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Since there was some ZZ Top, how about some ZZ Ward? (Also a plug for the fact she's from my home state of Oregon).

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Thats What Friends Are For - when this first came out I wasnt a fan. The music is too smooth jazz, easy listening for my tastes, and the message was too schmaltzy. It sounded like something my Grandmother would listen to. Listening to it now im still not crazy about the music, but I like the message and I can certainly recognize Dionne's great vocals.

Stan - I liked the rapping and the music bed. And then Elton ruined it for me. Im not a fan of his to begin with, but then he also sounded really husky, like he was just getting over a cold.

Back on the Block - I'll give him credit for trying to add some funky instrumentation to that generic drum machine beat. But that was too upbeat a groove to have Ice-T rapping about telling people to lay down before they get sprayed down. Just didnt work for me.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
We find ourselves in agreement about the explosion of grunge, but otherwise we disagree.

Some of the highlights (for me)

Alice In Chains - Facelift (1990), Dirt (1992), Sap (1992), Jar of Flies (1994) Alice In Chains (1995), MTV Unplugged (1996)
Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting (1990), Walking in London (1992), Mexican Moon (1993)
Garbage - Garbage (1995), Version 2.0 (1998)
Nirvana - Nevermind (1991), In Utero (1993), Unplugged (1994)
Oasis - Definitely Maybe (1994), What's the Story (Morning Glory) (1995), Be Here Now (1997)
Pearl Jam - Ten (1991), Vs. (1993), Vitalogy (1994)
R.E.M. - Out of Time (1991), Automatic for the People (1992), Monster (1994), New Adventures in Hi-Fi (1996)
Radiohead - Pablo Honey (1993), The Bends (1995), OK Computer (1997)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991), One Hot Minute (1995), Californication (1999)
Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club (1993), Sheryl Crow (1996), The Globe Sessions (1998)
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (1993), Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995), Adore (1998)
Soundgarden - Bad Motorfinger (1991), Superunknown (1994), Down on the Upside (1996)
Stone Temple Pilots - Core (1992), Purple (1994), Tiny Music... (1996), No. 4 (1999)
U2 - Achtung Baby (1991), Zooropa (1993), Pop (1997)
Weezer - Weezer (Blue Album) (1994), Pinkerton (1996)

- Walter.

I eventually picked up a lot of post-92/93 stuff like this, after 2010.

At the time I was going through goodwill, garage sales, flea markets, etc ... and picking up a lot of 1990s and early-mid 2000s era cds from the $1 bins.

In spite of hearing some musical familiarity or jogging my memory, I found a lot of this stuff didn't have any emotional context for me. It was as if I was listening to this stuff like a "musicologist" or professor.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
ZZ Ward - didnt draw me in at first, she had some odd pronunciations to fit the rhyme scheme. But there is a nice groove and energy to it and it kind of grew on me.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I eventually picked up a lot of post-92/93 stuff like this, after 2010.

At the time I was going through goodwill, garage sales, flea markets, etc ... and picking up a lot of 1990s and early-mid 2000s era cds from the $1 bins.

In spite of hearing some musical familiarity or jogging my memory, I found a lot of this stuff didn't have any emotional context for me. It was as if I was listening to this stuff like a "musicologist" or professor.

I was listening to a lot of music at work on headphones (while slaving away in front of a hot computer :) ) and I simply stayed with that music for an extended period. Never really tired of it and listened extensively to all of the albums I listed.

Not trying to convince you to change your opinion. :) Just tabulating a lot of the music that made that period memorable for me.

- Walter.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Liz Phair Supernova - this seemed too rock for pop music, and too tame for rock. The guitar solo was just a few random notes and then she started singing again. And I agree her vocals were lost in the mix.

Throwing Muses - I kind of had the opposite reaction as Bob, I liked the distortion and the non lyrical vocals. This song has a great energy to it. But I do agree that when shes singing softly the vocals really get lost.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Whenever I think of Dionne Warwick (yes, she's still alive and celebrated her 80th birthday last December) I tend to think of her recordings of Burt Bacharach and Hal David songs. She sang them to perfection.

In complete, 100%, total, absolute agreement (is that enough adjectives?) The songs listed are all extremely entertaining. Of the four listed I believe that "I Say A Little Prayer" is my favorite selection. (Always enjoyed the 'cover' of this song on the first season of Glee, BTW.)

- Walter.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Tom Browne - i think the video really helped this song. Seeing everyone smiling and playing off each other made it fun and it made sense. I listened to it again without watching the video and it sounds a little random and disjointed.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
ZZ Ward - "Move Like U Stole It" - This sounds really familiar. I think it is the rhythm / percussion of the song that is attempting to make some connection to a memory buried in the recesses of my mind. I liked this a lot. Great beat and energy and a distinctive singing style. Could listen to more from this artist / group.

- Walter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Her other song from this album was used a lot on promotional spots for various TV shows several years ago.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Im not sure what to add thematically to the last few posts, so here's some Todd Snider. Hes a Texas singer songwriter, but more folksy than country and he has a sly sense of humor.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
ZZ Ward - "Put the Gun Down" - Pretty much the same reaction as to the first posting. Great energy, driving beat, and distinctive singing style all make this another entertaining song. Like both of these selections a lot.

(According to the YouTube comments section for this song it was featured in "We're The Millers" so perhaps that is the connection to this artist that my somnambulant brain cells are attempting to make. :) )

- Walter.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Veruca Salt - "All Hail Me"

Hmmmm .... I didn't think much of this at first.

Did some googling, and realized I was recently listening to Nina Gordon's solo album from 20+ years ago. This must have been after Vercua had already broken up.

I'm guessing Nina must have been the primary songwriter in Vercua, judging by the songs on her solo albums and comparing them to Veruca Salt's songs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
We find ourselves in agreement about the explosion of grunge, but otherwise we disagree.

Some of the highlights (for me)

Alice In Chains - Facelift (1990), Dirt (1992), Sap (1992), Jar of Flies (1994) Alice In Chains (1995), MTV Unplugged (1996)
Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting (1990), Walking in London (1992), Mexican Moon (1993)
Garbage - Garbage (1995), Version 2.0 (1998)
Nirvana - Nevermind (1991), In Utero (1993), Unplugged (1994)
Oasis - Definitely Maybe (1994), What's the Story (Morning Glory) (1995), Be Here Now (1997)
Pearl Jam - Ten (1991), Vs. (1993), Vitalogy (1994)
R.E.M. - Out of Time (1991), Automatic for the People (1992), Monster (1994), New Adventures in Hi-Fi (1996)
Radiohead - Pablo Honey (1993), The Bends (1995), OK Computer (1997)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991), One Hot Minute (1995), Californication (1999)
Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club (1993), Sheryl Crow (1996), The Globe Sessions (1998)
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (1993), Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995), Adore (1998)
Soundgarden - Bad Motorfinger (1991), Superunknown (1994), Down on the Upside (1996)
Stone Temple Pilots - Core (1992), Purple (1994), Tiny Music... (1996), No. 4 (1999)
U2 - Achtung Baby (1991), Zooropa (1993), Pop (1997)
Weezer - Weezer (Blue Album) (1994), Pinkerton (1996)

- Walter.
I was a teenager back then and I appreciate the bands on that list much more now than I did during the time. Radiohead made some great albums and Nirvana is the rare (and probably the last) band that was able to change the face of music.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
... and Nirvana is the rare (and probably the last) band that was able to change the face of music.

I only realized this in hindsight many years later. Back in the day, I didn't realize this at the time as it was happening.

Prior to that time, I had already seen several musical trends which came and went already, without changing the face of music drastically. So when Nirvana came down the pike, initially I thought they were just another shooting star which will just come and go.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I only realized this in hindsight many years later. Back in the day, I didn't realize this at the time as it was happening.
I don't think you can realize things like that in the moment. Even though Nirvana was obviously different from the rest of the bands in pop music at the time, you need the passage of time to see how things changed and never went back to fully appreciate the difference that they made. Today, listeners have so many different types of music (which is a good thing) and options to hear it that that kind of huge change will probably never happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks