What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
David Bowie - "Life on Mars":
I like the vocals but it's a tad slow for me overall.

David Bowie - "The Bewlay Brothers":
This is one of those songs where I keep listening for substance but can't find any. Is it an inside thing?

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I heard Willin' on my drive to work this morning and was going to post it this afternoon. I didnt know much about Little Feat until I saw them open for the Allman Brothers in 91. They were great live and I became a fan.

Love all 3 of the songs posted. (And the artwork too.)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
David Bowie - "Life on Mars":
I like the vocals but it's a tad slow for me overall.

David Bowie - "The Bewlay Brothers":
This is one of those songs where I keep listening for substance but can't find any. Is it an inside thing?
I've always thought of it as mostly dense sort of nonsense stuff. Wikipedia says:
...the final track recorded for Hunky Dory ... Bowie said at the time the lyrics were nonsense, but in later years he hinted it was inspired by his schizophrenic half-brother Terry. "I was never quite sure what real position Terry had in my life," he said in 2000, "whether Terry was a real person or whether I was actually referencing another part of me, and I think 'Bewlay Brothers' was really about that."
I like the odd lyrics and overall pace and composition of the song.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Little Feat

"Dixie Chicken":

Nice, fun song. Love the piano and the lively vocals.

"Willin' "
Has a laid back, country feel then he asks for "weed." How can that not be entertaining?

"Spanish Moon"
This one definitely demonstrates versatility as it's nothing like the others. This is easily my favorite of the three. Love that baritone sax.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
And as I was writing, Sam & Dave was posted. Love Sam & Dave. If you haven't already seen it, watch the movie Tapeheads. Sam Moore (of Sam & Dave) plays one half of the fictional group the Swanky Modes. I thought the movie was pretty funny and the soundtrack is great.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
How about a couple with "unusual" instrumentation?

Jazz banjo with - Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - "Blu-Bop":

The Bari-Sax and percussion of Morphine - "Early to Bed":

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
And as I was writing, Sam & Dave was posted. Love Sam & Dave. If you haven't already seen it, watch the movie Tapeheads. Sam Moore (of Sam & Dave) plays one half of the fictional group the Swanky Modes. I thought the movie was pretty funny and the soundtrack is great.

Beautiful song, all around. Strong vocals with a smooth and relaxed flow, and then there's that sax.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - "Blu-Bop":
This is pretty cool. Dueling musicians!

Morphine - "Early to Bed":
That sax is awesome. Also like the humorous take on the old adage. Nice song indeed!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Swanky Modes, "Audience for My Pain" - That's very nice. I like the vocals and sax... well, the whole thing really.

I looked it up to see if it was one of those songs written just for the movie. Nope. It was written by Gerry Goffin and Barry Goldberg and originally recorded by Levon Helm (of The Band):

I like that version, too.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
You fellas are posting some fine songs. I've been thinking about a few things to post but the last few entries have raised the bar...

Swanky Modes - "Audience of Pain" - Great vocals. Really strong.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - "Blu-Bop" - Outstanding track. Reminds me of the sort of music that Chick Corea (whom we have discussed earlier in this thread) would have composed. Really enjoyed this one.

Morphine - "Early to Bed" - Not quite as strong as Blu-Bop, but very distinctive. The sax is interesting on this one.

- Walter.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Blu Bop is great. Nice Piano in the beginning, and I love the way he transforms the banjo in a jazz instrument towards the end with what sounds like a little bit of echo and some great accompaniment.

Early to bed was a fun little song, but not one I think I would be compelled to listen to again.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
An additional note on Morphine. That instrumentation is pretty much all that's used on everything they've recorded, or at least everything on the 2 albums I own. It's a very distinctive sound. The manager at the local comic shop turned me on to them.

**EDIT**
I forgot to mention that's a 2 string bass. The band is a 2 string bass, bari sax, percussion, vocals.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I didnt know Audience for my pain was a cover. I like Levons version too. I guess a great song is a great song.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Here are a couple of examples of not so much unusual instrumentation as cool effects. I dont know what its called when voice is sampled and used as a guitar sound, but when done well I think it can be cool.

And speaking of guitar effects, or just great playing, I love the way John Fogerty makes his guitar moan on his version of I Put a Spell On You.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The device that augments the guitar with your voice is called a TalkBox. Some of the more famous uses of this instrument include:

Weezer - Beverly Hills
Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer
Joe Walsh - Rocky Moutain Way
Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do

Like all three of those selections in post #496. Jeff Beck in particular. (I had Blow By Blow on vinyl a long time ago.)

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Thinking about guitars and guitar players in general reminded me of this track. For my money, Mark Knopfler is one of the better guitarists to ever grace the rock music world with his talents. This track in particular is a personal favorite. From their debut album Dire Straits...

- Walter.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Swanky Modes, "Audience for My Pain" - That's very nice. I like the vocals and sax... well, the whole thing really.

I looked it up to see if it was one of those songs written just for the movie. Nope. It was written by Gerry Goffin and Barry Goldberg and originally recorded by Levon Helm (of The Band):

I like that version, too.

This is one of those rare times when i like the cover better than the original. Both are fine, I just prefer the other versions vocals.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Generator
What stands out for me on this song is the powerful and tight drumming. Vocals are OK too but I don't like the guitar effects. Seems to take away from an otherwise enjoyable song.

Thelonius​

I like this one a lot. Whereas Generator was too "busy" this one wisely forgoes lyrics which allows me to focus on enjoying the cools sounds and beat.

I Put A Spell On You
This ones amusing because it sounds like a "rocker" trying to sing a Blues song. The music is cool but the voice [to me anyway] just doesn't fit the material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks