What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Jimmy Castor Bunch Party Life
Love it. Nice lively track and you know I love horns. They're having fun!

THE JIMMY CASTOR BUNCH "The Mystery Of Me"
This one's a bit subdued for my taste.

The Gap Band - You Dropped A Bomb On Me
I liked most of The Gap bands material and this one's no exception.

Here's my favorite of their songs from back in the day.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Mills Brothers-Someone Put Ketchup On My Icecream
Another bit of levity. Nothing wrong with that. They come across as a Barbershop Quartet but with jokes!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Do Wah Diddy Diddy
Oh yeah! My signature should illustrate how much I must love this one. I channeled my inner Bill Murray while listening to it.

Manfred Mann - Mighty Quinn
I've heard this one before too but can't remember where. It's a cool and unique song.

Blinded By The Light
Yep. I remember this one from back in the day. Not my style of everyday music but certainly iconic.

Spirits in the night
This is a cool song. I love the way the lyrics are presented and also the sultry smooth melodic guitar.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence
Nice vocals but I had trouble staying awake. :) A bit too operatic for my taste.

Simon & Garfunkel - The Sounds of Silence
Ah. That's better. I've always been a sucker for the Simon & Garfunkel sound.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The Gap Band - "The Boys Are Back In Town" - Nice. Not what I would normally associate with the group. Has a nice mellow vibe that I liked.

I guess that phrase "The Boys Are Back In Town" is popular; the group Thin Lizzy released a song with this title and the film 48 Hours features The Bus Boys performing a song titled "The Boys Are Back In Town". All completely different songs, of course.

- Walter.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Not a tough crowd at all. We all like different music, and we're all finding new music we like. (And probably as much that we dislike). Thats what makes this so fun.

For instance Diane Krall was posted a while back and I liked it so much that I blindly put one of her live albums in my library, then today during a 45 minute drive for work with phone on shuffle, Deed I Do came on, wich I had never heard before. And it was fantastic.

I like longer and, for lack of a better word, repetitive songs. Like the Zappa and Ween and Allman Brothers that I posted. I just get lost in it. Party Life has that latin rythm and peppy horns, and a cool guitar towards the end. The instrumentation isnt the most intricate, but I like the groove. I listen to this stuff a lot when I need to unwind, or if Im doing something monotonous like cleaning the kitchen at night. Its more than background music but I dont have to think too hard. I concentrate on the music and next thing you know 10 minutes have gone by and half the kitchen is clean.

Anyways, it was easier to keep up with this thread when I didnt work last week. I feel im falling behind again.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Not a tough crowd at all. We all like different music, and we're all finding new music we like. (And probably as much that we dislike). Thats what makes this so fun.
Exactly. As long as we're all civil [and we have been] there's no downside to sharing our musical choices. I've found some awesome stuff already like Chicago - Night and Day and there have ben plenty of weird [to me] and quirky selections presented that I would never have been exposed any other way.

Anyways, it was easier to keep up with this thread when I didnt work last week. I feel im falling behind again.
That's not possible as it's more of a buffet than a formal meal. Sample what you feel inclined to sample and skip the rest. Above all, just have fun with music. It's one of the most beautiful things we still have access to in these precarious times.

Diana Krall - Deed I Do
I personally don't get the overall appeal of Diana Krall. There's nothing wrong with any of the selections I've heard from her but none have exactly stood out either. I get the feeling she is probably better appreciated live.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Diana Krall - "Deed I Do" - Sort of a mixed bag for me. I really liked the instrumentation and the beat of the song. The vocal portion of the song was less effective, perhaps because it felt like the song was dominated by the lengthy instrumental bridge. (I liked the bridge, so maybe that isn't a bad thing. :) )

- Walter.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Gap Band, "The Boys Are Back In Town" - I was *not* expecting that somewhat light pop tune. It was pleasant enough though I didn't really care for it.

Diana Krall, "Deed I Do" - She's not bad with a pleasant alto voice but most of what I've heard on her albums sounds like rather generic jazz with some material bordering on easy listening. I liked this one better than the earlier track posted which tells me she's likely better appreciated in a live setting.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Mills Brothers-Someone Put Ketchup On My Icecream
Another bit of levity. Nothing wrong with that. They come across as a Barbershop Quartet but with jokes!
I used to play some of their stuff when I worked for that college radio station (a full power FM "Public Radio" station with "easy listening" and news as its main formats - yeah... mostly staffed by students, on campus, playing music that few, if any, students listened to). That's where I got that one as well as one called "Ice Cream" which has the line "Ice cream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream." I've not been able to locate a recording of them doing that song. No matter as I always preferred the "ketchup" one. And, yes, they're pretty much a Barbershop Quartet type of group though it's been so long that I really don't recall if their other material was mostly humorous or not.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Gap Band - "The Boys Are Back In Town" - Nice. Not what I would normally associate with the group. Has a nice mellow vibe that I liked.

I guess that phrase "The Boys Are Back In Town" is popular; the group Thin Lizzy released a song with this title and the film 48 Hours features The Bus Boys performing a song titled "The Boys Are Back In Town". All completely different songs, of course.

- Walter.
I think that's interesting as well. The Bus Boys song is in such sharp contrast with this one, and then there's the Thin Lizzy song, which I just listened to and like. Again, completely different but I do think the theme carries over between the different songs, at least to some degree.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Now here's some "rock" I can get with. Was this posted earlier in the thread when we were visiting Pink Floyd?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Nope. It should have been. It's in my top 10 favorite Pink Floyd songs. This live version was good - but I still prefer the studio rendition (as much as anything due to the audience sing-along which got picked up by the mics - I don't like those, even when at a concert - I paid to see/hear the band, not some schmuck next to me). Well... outside the very nice light show in that video.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
...due to the audience sing-along which got picked up by the mics - I don't like those, even when at a concert - I paid to see/hear the band, not some schmuck next to me).
Another reason I've not usually enjoyed concerts, especially when the artist encourages the audience to sing. I remember seeing Loretta Lynn once when I was very young and she barely sang, instead constantly holding her mic out toward the audience and encouraging them to sing the songs.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Another reason I've not usually enjoyed concerts, especially when the artist encourages the audience to sing. I remember seeing Loretta Lynn once when I was very young and she barely sang, instead constantly holding her mic out toward the audience and encouraging them to sing the songs.
I generally agree and prefer studio recordings over live shows. The single exception for me was Bon Jovi. They were amazing on stage.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I generally agree and prefer studio recordings over live shows. The single exception for me was Bon Jovi. They were amazing on stage.
My oldest grandson (now age 17) is a *huge* Bon Jovi fan (me, not so much - I like 5 or 6 of their songs). So much so that his mom (my daughter) surprised him on his 16th birthday with a trip to see them in concert. He was absolutely thrilled. I thought it was pretty cool she did that for him. :)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I think that's interesting as well. The Bus Boys song is in such sharp contrast with this one, and then there's the Thin Lizzy song, which I just listened to and like. Again, completely different but I do think the theme carries over between the different songs, at least to some degree.
Oddly enough I just received the used but near mint copy of The Bus Boy's "Minimum Wage Rock and Roll" I purchased through discogs...love that record

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Oddly enough I just received the used but near mint copy of The Bus Boy's "Minimum Wage Rock and Roll" I purchased through discogs...love that record

This is cool. Reminds me of Happy Days and that era. You could never have convinced me that the same group made both this and The Boys Are Back In Town. Just another reason to love music. I can't be confined to anything we think we know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks