What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Celebrating 40+ years of Bananarama, Sara and Keren just released their 45th single, "Masquerade", from the upcoming album of the same name.

Not sure this would be one of my favorites of theirs, but I love to see artists still bringing their fans new music decade after decade. I do like this one better than the teaser track, "Favourite", that was released a few weeks ago.

This brought immediate thoughts of ABBA to mind. Having not [knowingly] heard any of their previous work I don't know if this sound is characteristic of their style or not. I don't mind it but it lacks the sophistication and novelty of the aforementioned ABBA.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I can't describe how much I've been loving the recent album from Evanescence. It's also a hell of a test of your system's bass capabilities. The bass is downright absurd. Deep and relentless. Anyway, here's a sample which probably doesn't contain the full bassy goodness.

Yea, I'm listening in my office right now but will definitely give this another spend when I head down to the Theater momentarily. I'd say this is one of those rare tracks that seems to excel equally in both vocal and musical prowess. I like how each stands on it's own. Nice track.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This brought immediate thoughts of ABBA to mind. Having not [knowingly] heard any of their previous work I don't know if this sound is characteristic of their style or not. I don't mind it but it lacks the sophistication and novelty of the aforementioned ABBA.
You may have heard their cover of Shocking Blue's "Venus" or the song "Cruel Summer". Those would probably be their best known American hits, along with "I Heard a Rumour". All Top 10 hits, 1984-1988.

They have occasionally been compared to the ABBA sound.

ABBA just released a new album, too.

I also like the Evanescence track, and have liked some of their past material.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You've never heard their cover of Shocking Blue's "Venus"? Never "Cruel Summer"? Those would probably be their best known American hits, along with "I Heard a Rumour". All Top 10 hits, 1984-1988.

They have occasionally been compared to the ABBA sound.

ABBA just released a new album, too.
It's entirely possible but, as I said, not knowingly. I'll have to look for them now.

Oh I'm all in where ABBA is concerned. I saw a press piece where they discussed the new album and what it felt like to work together again after all of these years.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just finished listening to that entire "new" (from last year - hard to keep up when you don't listen to "radio") album from Evanescence. It's quite good... I'll be picking up a copy at some point.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just finished listening to that entire "new" (from last year - hard to keep up when you don't listen to "radio") album from Evanescence. It's quite good... I'll be picking up a copy at some point.
In addition to being generally awesome, it has one of the greatest opening medleys I've heard in some time.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
@Malcolm R - I checked out the Bananarama tracks you mentioned. You know how you hear a song somewhere but never learn who created it? That's the case for me with "Cruel Summer," which I recognized and enjoyed.

I listened to both the original and cover versions of "Venus." Of course I know that song. I'd think practically anyone over 40 must. I found it amusingly peculiar how sedate Shocking Blue's performance was in the original version [below] compared to the fitting, high-energy treatment Banarama gave it. Both were excellent but this one was begging for a worthy cover.

I found "I Heard a Rumour" rather basic and formulaic.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was also surprised years ago when I tracked down Shocking Blue's, "Venus". Quite different takes on the song.

I think "Rumour" was a bit of a surprise hit in the US. It had done OK but not a huge hit in much of the world, but for some reason it was a Top 5 hit in the US. It was featured on the soundtrack to the film Disorderlies, but I don't think the film was a big hit.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
@Malcolm R - I checked out the Bananarama tracks you mentioned. You know how you hear a song somewhere but never learn who created it? That's the case for me with "Cruel Summer," which I recognized and enjoyed.

I listened to both the original and cover versions of "Venus." Of course I know that song. I'd think practically anyone over 40 must. I found it amusingly peculiar how sedate Shocking Blue's performance was in the original version [below] compared to the fitting, high-energy treatment Banarama gave it. Both were excellent but this one was begging for a worthy cover.

I found "I Heard a Rumour" rather basic and formulaic.

A short story about hearing Shocking Blue's "Venus" - I was a Jr. in HS in a car with my choir director and 3 girls from the choir coming home from an out-of-town practice session for All State/Region Choir music in anticipation of the tryouts. This one comes on the radio - we kids have heard it but the choir director hasn't. At the first singing of the chorus "...I'm your Venus, I'm your fire..." she gives a start and proclaims "WHAT did they just sing!?!?! Did they say PENIS!!" and we all cracked up! "NO" we said "It's *VENUS* with a *V*!" and she, too, starts laughing but doesn't believe us until they get to the chorus again, she cranks it up, and finally agrees with us. :laugh: To this day I can't hear that song without recalling her reaction...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
A short story about hearing Shocking Blue's "Venus" - I was a Jr. in HS in a car with my choir director and 3 girls from the choir coming home from an out-of-town practice session for All State/Region Choir music in anticipation of the tryouts. This one comes on the radio - we kids have heard it but the choir director hasn't. At the first singing of the chorus "...I'm your Venus, I'm your fire..." she gives a start and proclaims "WHAT did they just sing!?!?! Did they say PENIS!!" and we all cracked up! "NO" we said "It's *VENUS* with a *V*!" and she, too, starts laughing but doesn't believe us until they get to the chorus again, she cranks it up, and finally agrees with us. :laugh: To this day I can't hear that song without recalling her reaction...
LOL - For whatever reason, I'd say the word "penis" was lurking in her subconscious just waiting for an opportunity such as this.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yea, I'm listening in my office right now but will definitely give this another spend when I head down to the Theater momentarily. I'd say this is one of those rare tracks that seems to excel equally in both vocal and musical prowess. I like how each stands on it's own. Nice track.
Thank you @JohnRice ! I absolutely loved this track along with the other you shared and I absolutely would never have heard either if left to my own devices.

This is the exact dynamic I had in mind when this thread was created. It's fine and well to share the music we love with others but when we discover music we might have otherwise missed, I feel that's where the true value lies. Music is simply too powerful of a force to be confined to genres. The only way to truly know what you like is to give it an objective listen.

JRiver Media Center also pulled up some nice cover art for Evanescence and the ladies are quite easy on the eyes.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Chastity Brown, "Back Seat" - This one sounds like another song and I just can't figure out which it is... It starts a bit like one from Chris Isaacs (the backing track) and then it's incredibly familiar (vocal style as well as melody)... it'll come to me...
And I still think this one's familiar and it *still* hasn't come to me... sigh... one day...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
A post in another thread brought to my attention that a singer/songwriter of the 70s has been completely ignored in this thread - and it's one who has several compositions I really, really, like.

Cat Stevens (now known as Yusuf / Cat Stevens) had several major singles in the early 70s. A favorite of mine began life as a Christian hymn in the 30s. Stevens heard Rick Wakeman playing a rough sketch of what would become "Catherine Howard" in a recording booth and persuaded him to use a similar arrangement for Steven's recording of "Morning Has Broken." Wakeman finally relented and played on the recording thou wasn't credited on the final release (apparently an oversight) but once you know the association it's rather obvious.

Cat Stevens - "Morning Has Broken":

Another favorite from the same album was supposedly inspired by Hitchcock's work while Stevens was riding on a train.

Cat Stevens - "Peace Train":

And a third track from that album, "Teaser and the Firecat," was yet another favorite.

Cat Stevens - "Moonshadow":

An earlier album, "Tea for the Tillerman" yielded what was the first song I recall hearing from Stevens. It's also a favorite and had been written about his breakup with Patti D'Arbanville.

Cat Stevens - "Wild World":

And for reference... here's the track Stevens heard Wakeman working on which caused him to make his request.

Rick Wakeman - "Catherine Howard":

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A post in another thread brought to my attention that a singer/songwriter of the 70s has been completely ignored in this thread - and it's one who has several compositions I really, really, like.

Cat Stevens (now known as Yusuf / Cat Stevens) had several major singles in the early 70s. A favorite of mine began life as a Christian hymn in the 30s. Stevens heard Rick Wakeman playing a rough sketch of what would become "Catherine Howard" in a recording booth and persuaded him to use a similar arrangement for Steven's recording of "Morning Has Broken." Wakeman finally relented and played on the recording thou wasn't credited on the final release (apparently an oversight) but once you know the association it's rather obvious.

Another favorite from the same album was supposedly inspired by Hitchcock's work while Stevens was riding on a train.

And a third track from that album, "Teaser and the Firecat," was yet another favorite.

An earlier album, "Tea for the Tillerman" yielded what was the first song I recall hearing from Stevens. It's also a favorite and had been written about his breakup with Patti D'Arbanville.

And for reference... here's the track Stevens heard Wakeman working on which caused him to make his request.

How did I never know Wakeman was on Morning Has Broken?

I can't believe Cat Stevens hasn't been mentioned yet. He's always been a favorite. Too many songs to name.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Hmm. This sounds almost exactly like another song I'm familiar with. Both excellent.

Powerful vocalist for sure. Nothing to not like here, just not really my fare.

Now I know where the Patti Labelle cover came from!!! Small world indeed.

Sort of the same take for me as "Peace Train." I believe there's been an R&B cover of this one too. Just can't remember the artist.

I always love stories of the collaborative spirit of musicians. If only this could transfer to other areas equally. This song is a musical treat. Certainly different but in a good way.

Cat Stevens is a name I'm quite familiar with yet I hadn't heard any of these selections prior to today. How'd that happen??? :confused:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This got me thinking about pop adaptations of classical pieces. There are several of them, but I'll start with a lesser known one.

"Cold is Being" by Renaissance

And the source, "Adagio for Organ and Strings" by Tomaso Albinoni.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Hmm. This sounds almost exactly like another song I'm familiar with. Both excellent.

Powerful vocalist for sure. Nothing to not like here, just not really my fare.

Now I know where the Patti Labelle cover came from!!! Small world indeed.

Sort of the same take for me as "Peace Train." I believe there's been an R&B cover of this one too. Just can't remember the artist.

I always love stories of the collaborative spirit of musicians. If only this could transfer to other areas equally. This song is a musical treat. Certainly different but in a good way.

Cat Stevens is a name I'm quite familiar with yet I hadn't heard any of these selections prior to today. How'd that happen??? :confused:

I really enjoyed that version of "Blessed Assurance" - it's one of my all-time-favorites from Fanny Crosby (music by Phoebe Palmer Knapp). BUT I hear only slight similarities to "Morning Has Broken" which are mostly in the time signatures (both being 3/4 based).

Here's the hymn version of "Morning Has Broken" (originally called "Bunessan," and is a hymn tune based on a Scottish Gaelic folk melody):
1659817871735.png

And here's "Blessed Assurance":
1659817540443.png

I enjoyed Patti Labelle's version of "Moonshadow" but prefer the Cat Stevens one.

I have no idea how you've never heard those Cat Stevens songs before - they're all from the early 70s, a period of music with which you seen to be quite familiar and Stevens' most "popular" era (at least for me - he's still composing and performing but most of what I know from him is from the late 60s to the mid 70s or so).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks