What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If you turn her on to some Yes or Genesis, I'll be truly impressed.
Well... she *has* heard Yes - "Close to the Edge" to be exact and really liked it! I'm not much of a Genesis fan and only own one of their "Greatest Hits" discs that I've not played for her yet.

I'm really wanting to try some Jazz and/or Fusion soon to get a reaction. She continues to surprise me with what she likes. I can say with some degree of certainty that I'd likely have not liked much of what she does when I was that age.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well... she *has* heard Yes - "Close to the Edge" to be exact and really liked it! I'm not much of a Genesis fan and only own one of their "Greatest Hits" discs that I've not played for her yet.

I'm really wanting to try some Jazz and/or Fusion soon to get a reaction. She continues to surprise me with what she likes. I can say with some degree of certainty that I'd likely have not liked much of what she does when I was that age.
Well, Close to the Edge is pretty much the pinnacle of Yes in my book. My Genesis suggestions are the albums immediately before and after PG departed. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Wind and Wuthering and Trick of the Tail, plus Duke. And Seconds Out, which along with Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus are probably my two all-time favorite live albums.

Time for some Weather Report?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Funny you should mention Weather Report as we just listened to "Birdland" from Heavy Weather on the trip to work/school this morning. She liked it. AND we also listened to "Eternity's Breath - Part 1 & Part 2" from Mahavishnu Orchestra's Visions of the Emerald Beyond. When I asked "What do you think of this one?" She replied "It's really good! I like it!"

Mahavishnu Orchestra - "Eternity's Breath - Part 1 & Part 2":

She continues to amaze me with her diverse musical taste.

I have some Stanley Clarke on tap for later this week or early next week...

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Funny you should mention Weather Report as we just listened to "Birdland" from Heavy Weather on the trip to work/school this morning. She liked it. AND we also listened to "Eternity's Breath - Part 1 & Part 2" from Mahavishnu Orchestra's Visions of the Emerald Beyond. When I asked "What do you think of this one?" She replied "It's really good! I like it!"

Mahavishnu Orchestra - "Eternity's Breath - Part 1 & Part 2":

She continues to amaze me with her diverse musical taste.

I have some Stanley Clarke on tap for later this week or early next week...

Hmm... Hard Rock meets Orchestra? It's almost like listening to two separate tracks at times but I still enjoyed the awesome intricacy of the strings. It's a rare comment for me but I think the percussion should have been dialed back a bit on this one.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Ran across this in my collection today. She's a Polish singer/pianist. I was quite taken by this soulful, "bluesy" duet with Larry Braggs of Tower of Power fame.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Kasia Lins, featuring Larry Braggs - "Liar" - Very nice track and performances. It somewhat pains me to say neither has a voice that just stands out that much - still... I'd listen to more from either.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Lights Out (cover)

LOL - I'd just finished a turn in my massage chair accompanied by some "sounds of meditation" and then I found this. :cool: It sounds like fairly formulaic Metal but I still enjoyed it, especially the percussion and lead guitar; not so much the vocals.

sleroi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Cover of what/who? It sounds kind of familiar but I can't place it...

It's "OK" but just... has that really generic 80s Hair Metal sound. The lead guitar is pretty good.

It's hard to read on the alb cover, but it's UFO

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Interesting... That's a 1977 album. I also like that original a bit better and *have* heard it on the radio (or somewhere - I rarely listen to radio because of all the commercials and talk-overs). I vaguely recall the band but don't have anything by them in my collection. Considering the year you'd think I'd own some as disco seemed to be taking over the music scene and we'd usually embrace *anything* that at least sounded like rock 'n roll... and this absolutely does.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Yeah the original is UFO back in the mid-late 1970s.

When I first heard Lights Out, I didn't know what it was initially. I incorrectly thought it was a Michael Schenker Group (MSG) song. At the time, I was listening to MSG where I noticed "Lights Out" sounded like a similar style as Michael Schenker's solo albums. Not many bands sounded like Michael Schenker (or UFO) in those days.

(Michael Schenker was UFO's guitarist back in the mid -> late 1970s).

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
I just discovered Chastity Brown who has a new album out and who is going to be playing locally this week. My favorite from the new album is this one:

And from her previous album:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Celebrating 40+ years of Bananarama, Sara and Keren just released their 45th single, "Masquerade", from the upcoming album of the same name.

Not sure this would be one of my favorites of theirs, but I love to see artists still bringing their fans new music decade after decade. I do like this one better than the teaser track, "Favourite", that was released a few weeks ago.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Chastity Brown, "Back Seat" - This one sounds like another song and I just can't figure out which it is... It starts a bit like one from Chris Isaacs (the backing track) and then it's incredibly familiar (vocal style as well as melody)... it'll come to me...

Chastity Brown, "Colorado" - I liked this one best of the two but neither song jumps out at me as something I "need" to own. I *do* like her voice and style so may explore her catalog a bit.

Bananarama, "Masquerade" - Didn't like them "back then" and still don't care for them. Just more generic sounding dance style music to my ears. (and I'm sure that assessment surprised no one... ;) )

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bananarama, "Masquerade" - Didn't like them "back then" and still don't care for them. Just more generic sounding dance style music to my ears. (and I'm sure that assessment surprised no one... ;) )
Yeah, it sounds pretty generic even to me who has been a fan for decades. I'm waiting to see if there are any decent remixes.

The last songs they released that really caught my ears were back in 2005-2009 with "Move In My Direction", "Look on the Floor (Hypnotic Tango)", and "Love Comes", which were also their most recent chart hits in the UK (#14, #26, and #44, respectively).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl333
Recent bookmarks