What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Well, I love Eric B and Rakim. Great pick, John. :D:D Reminds me of getting a couple of Maxell XL II 90s ready to go on a Friday night and taping the Red Alert show on KISS FM and then bouncing around between WBAU and WBLS.

Still going strong!

paidinfull.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
George Benson w/the Count Basie Orchestra, "Walkin' My Baby Back Home" - Nice version of a classic. I really like both of these artists.

The Harry Connick Jr. Trio, "Bayou Maharajah" - Another artist I really enjoy and a somewhat unusual track towards the end. I don't think I've heard this one before.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
George Benson w/the Count Basie Orchestra - Walkin' My Baby Back Home
Beautiful all around. If I had heard music like this at work I might still be working. Then again...

The Harry Connick Jr. Trio - Bayou Maharajah
This one falls into that category of traditional Jazz I simply cannot get into. Love Harry Connick Jr though. Here's one of my favorites from him.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Harry Connick Jr. Trio, "Bayou Maharajah" - Another artist I really enjoy and a somewhat unusual track towards the end. I don't think I've heard this one before.

The Harry Connick Jr. Trio - Bayou Maharajah
This one falls into that category of traditional Jazz I simply cannot get into. Love Harry Connick Jr though. Here's one of my favorites from him.
I chose that Connick track because I like it, but also because it's a little weird. They take it so far, it almost sounds like they start screwing up

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So... here's another little bit of New Orleans/Dixie infused Jazz I find it difficult to believe anyone wouldn't enjoy.

Al Hirt - That's a Plenty

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So... here's another little bit of New Orleans/Dixie infused Jazz I find it difficult to believe anyone wouldn't enjoy.

Al Hirt - That's a Plenty

That's a lot of pressure, John. :cool: In this case I did enjoy listening to this as I work on migrating my HTPC to Windows 11, so well done.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Harry Connick Jr., "It Had to Be You" - This is more like it for Connick... My introduction to him was with the old crooner stuff and he does it quite well.

Al Hirt, "That's a Plenty" - Another good one... I've never listened to much from him but most of what I've heard I've enjoyed.

It's very basic, and almost cliche' but the first thing I remember hearing from him was "Java" (his highest charting single at #4 on the Billboard charts):

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Harry Connick Jr., "It Had to Be You" - This is more like it for Connick... My introduction to him was with the old crooner stuff and he does it quite well.
My introduction to him was his first album "20", which represented his age at the time. Solo piano and where his true talent lies, in my opinion. I was actually sad to see him do so much crooner stuff, though he's good at it also. Howie, you should check out "20". And the follow-up "25". I haven't listened to those in forever.

EDIT: Oops. False memory. He sings on "20" as well.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Al Hirt, "That's a Plenty" - Another good one... I've never listened to much from him but most of what I've heard I've enjoyed.

It's very basic, and almost cliche' but the first thing I remember hearing from him was "Java" (his highest charting single at #4 on the Billboard charts):

With this one, as is always the case with me, it had me at "horns." Aside from that basic qualification, this is some fine trumpeting.

Nice selection!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I probably listened to that a couple hundred times growing up, and no doubt I thought it was awesome. Now I really can't stand it. Too much of a dumbed down Pop tune. Probably if I hadn't listened to it so many times back when.

An Al Hirt story from my father. Whatever band he was in at the time, they were in NO when a trumpet player (3rd or 4th trumpet) got sick the day of a gig and they needed someone NOW. Who did they find? Yep, Al Hirt. And... he was terrible. Not that he lacked skill, he was simply incapable of playing as part of an ensemble and constantly drowned out everyone else.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
While not a huge fan in general, I do have some Jazz in my collection. I came across one of my favorite old school artists, Najee and figured I'd share a couple of selections. I like him because he is a supreme master of the sax and his selections tend to contain intricate melodic layers.

Najee

Tokyo Blue

Betcha Don't Know​

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK everyone, take your best shot. You won't sway me. :cool: Something a little different. Probably my favorite (more or less) ten minutes in all the history of music. It should start at 32:05.

Beethoven Symphony #6; 5th mvt - "The Shepherd's Song"

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
OK everyone, take your best shot. You won't sway me. :cool: Something a little different. Probably my favorite (more or less) ten minutes in all the history of music.

Beethoven Symphony #6; 5th mvt - "The Shepherd's Song"

No shots will be taken as we don't do that here. As the presentation is 42 minutes long, I only listened to about the first 15. I assume the portion you are referring to was the opening selection? While I avoid subjective rankings and comparisons I thoroughly enjoyed this bit of morning bliss. This hearkens back to my High School days in Symphonic Band and Orchestra. Those were good times and we definitely logged some great performances.

@BobO'Link will likely object to the presence of the conductor. ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No shots will be taken as we don't do that here. As the presentation is 42 minutes long, I only listened to about the first 15. I assume the portion you are referring to was the opening selection? While I avoid subjective rankings and comparisons I thoroughly enjoyed this bit of morning bliss. This hearkens back to my High School days in Symphonic Band and Orchestra. Those were good times and we definitely logged some great performances.

@BobO'Link will likely object to the presence of the conductor. ;)
The opening is great, but it should have started at the 5th mvt. Which is about the final ten minutes. I wonder why it started at the beginning for you.

I checked and it should start at 32:05. @John Dirk it’s worth the ten minutes.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Beethoven!?! You give us Beethoven!?!?! Couldn't you find a *good* German composer?!?!?! ;)

I didn't bother with your mid-section time but backed up and listened to it all.

Beethoven Symphony #6; 5th mvt, "The Shepherd's Song" - I'm not going to comment on the work other than to say that it's a favorite and this performance was very good (I'd love to be able to play at that level of musicianship).

And some observations that have nothing to do with the music.

What's with all the bobbing around of many of the orchestra members (and especially a clarinet player who, at times, was somewhat comical to watch)? They are in a *group* and *not* center stage doing a solo trying to impress the audience with how they can move around and still play! All that extraneous movement does is take away energy that *should* be used for playing.

As far as the conductor, Daniel Barenboim (one of the great conductors of our time), he's barely given a 2nd glance by the majority of the strings, who mostly look at him only if a cutoff is imminent. The woodwinds look at him most, followed by the brass section. Essentially, a well rehearsed orchestra for whom the conductor is, for all practical purposes, superfluous during a performance, serving only as a focal point for the audience.

While a reasonably large group, that huge stage at the Royal Albert Hall makes them look almost like a chamber orchestra.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
While a reasonably large group, that huge stage at the Royal Albert Hall makes them look almost like a chamber orchestra.
Well, it is Beethoven, so the orchestration can vary widely from as few as maybe 25 to as many as 80. This falls in the middle, and it is a youth orchestra. I can't disagree that by the time the performance arrives, the conductor's job is basically done, but I also have no problem with the conductor being there for the performance.

BTW, I intended it to start with the final movement simply because I didn't expect anyone to listen to the entire symphony.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well, it is Beethoven, so the orchestration can vary widely from as few as maybe 25 to as many as 80. This falls in the middle, and it is a youth orchestra. I can't disagree that by the time the performance arrives, the conductor's job is basically done, but I also have no problem with the conductor being there for the performance.

BTW, I intended it to start with the final movement simply because I didn't expect anyone to listen to the entire symphony.
It started where you intended - I manually backed it up to the start because I like the piece and wanted to hear all of it. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It started where you intended - I manually backed it up to the start because I like the piece and wanted to hear all of it. :)
Same for me. I didn't pay close enough attention to your original post and figured it was intended to start at the beginning. I just relistened and it was well worth the time investment. Nice selection!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
What's with all the bobbing around of many of the orchestra members (and especially a clarinet player who, at times, was somewhat comical to watch)? They are in a *group* and *not* center stage doing a solo trying to impress the audience with how they can move around and still play! All that extraneous movement does is take away energy that *should* be used for playing.
Musicians at this level don't just play the notes, they connect with them. The movement isn't intended to draw attention, it's an expression of passion for the material. Like all forms of personal expression it can vary widely between individuals.

As far as the conductor, Daniel Barenboim (one of the great conductors of our time), he's barely given a 2nd glance by the majority of the strings, who mostly look at him only if a cutoff is imminent.
Having played countless performances in my day [1st chair oboe] I can assure you, every member of this orchestra is keenly tuned into the conductor regardless of how it might seem. Could they perform without him? Certainly, but it would seem awkward to them and the final product would be discernably different.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Musicians at this level don't just play the notes, they connect with them. The movement isn't intended to draw attention, it's an expression of passion for the material. Like all forms of personal expression it can vary widely between individuals.
Kind of like some singers who have to constantly be gesturing and waving their hands around when they're simply singing. Mariah Carey is a prime example of the "diva hands", but I saw it on a Christmas special a couple nights ago from someone else, too. It kind of irritates me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks