What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Actually, *this* is the original - Nazareth's is also a cover. A very good one, but a cover. I also prefer the original lyrics.

The Everly Brothers - "Love Hurts" (1960):

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Actually, *this* is the original - Nazareth's is also a cover. A very good one, but a cover. I also prefer the original lyrics.

The Everly Brothers - "Love Hurts" (1960):

After re-listening to all of these, the Nazereth song is definitely a cover [and a nice one as you mentioned] of the Everly Brothers but the Miss Li song appears to be an original work that just happens to have the same title.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
After re-listening to all of these, the Nazereth song is definitely a cover [and a nice one as you mentioned] of the Everly Brothers but the Miss Li song appears to be an original work that just happens to have the same title.
The Miss Li song also has the exact same chord structure, just eliminating the "break", and is in 3/4 inside the 4/4 main structure instead of 4/4 all through. It's more noticeable in the chorus. Now... I realize this is a rather generic blues/doo-wop structure but it *sounds* enough like the original for me to think it was repurposed for this song. To me it easily sounds as close as George Harrison's "lift" of "He's So Fine" for "My Sweet Lord."

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Miss Li song also has the exact same chord structure, just eliminating the "break", and is in 3/4 inside the 4/4 main structure instead of 4/4 all through. It's more noticeable in the chorus. Now... I realize this is a rather generic blues/doo-wop structure but it *sounds* enough like the original for me to think it was repurposed for this song. To me it easily sounds as close as George Harrison's "lift" of "He's So Fine" for "My Sweet Lord."
Yea, the title alone suggests it was at least derivative. I guess it all comes down to what constitutes a "cover" in technical terms. Either way, I enjoyed all versions with Miss Li's being my favorite.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know I haven't participated here in some time, but I've been getting back into a Within Temptation kick lately and I wonder how many people are aware of Symphonic Metal. It's huge in Western Europe, and it often has a female vocalist. This one has WT's Sharon den Adel joined by Tarja Turunen. Two wonderful female voices you'd never expect to hear with metal, but it sure works. Enjoy Mr. Dirk. :P

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oooh, I like that.

Found this one on the suggestions list at YouTube. I like this one, too.

Yeah, Tarja used to be in Nightwish. They did some excellent stuff. That was coined "Operatic Metal" due to her singing style, but it's basically Symphonic. She's a powerful singer, who has a bit of a reputation as a diva.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I looked up the band at Wikipedia. Seems like Nightwish has been through a few vocalists over the years.
There are some other bands to check out. You might like Lacuna Coil, who is considered Goth Metal, definitely not Symphonic, and has dual vocalists, male and female. I think I posted something of theirs early in this thread. they have plenty of original work, but they do a lot of covers and especially like Depeche Mode.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Within Temptation - Paradise
For me this is one of those styles where the musical backing and vocals both seem to want front stage, forcing you to divide your attention or choose a side. I tend to do the latter and, in this case, concentrate on the vocals. I would suspect this would be immensely more enjoyable in a Live setting.

Nightwish - Nemo
This is a perfect follow up to "Paradise" as it allows some time for the vocals to standout on their own between the overpowering musical backing. Both fall into the same category for me though, which is they are better suited for Live enjoyment and lose a little something without that energy.

Luna Coil
Enjoy The Silence

Now that's more like it! I know it's a cover but the way the music and vocals trade off make it much more engaging for me as compared to the others. Overall I'll still take the original but this is a worthy cover.

Trip The Darkness
"Definitely not Symphonic" is an understatement. This is almost Grunge to my ears. Not my style at all but I do appreciate the musical prowess, especially the drumming.

Now I return the thread to John... :wacko:

Haha - No the thread belongs to all of us. We do ask however that you listen and comment on the music posted by others from time to time. It's a big part of the fun, for me anyway.

Those who didn't have experienced tiny SB-16 Ultra-seeking nanites in their environments.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
…I’m being threatened…

Be careful what you wish for. It can be difficult to shut me up once I get going.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Within Temptation, "Paradise (What About Us)" - Nightwish, "Nemo" - Lacuna Coil, "Enjoy the Silence":
I had the same reaction for all of these so am going to do a group comment. In general, I like them. But there's nothing new or unique enough that grabs me and makes me want to hear more. They all kind of run together, sounding much the same, even down to very similar tempos and drumming tracks and, yes, the vocals - which are good.

Lacuna Coil, "Trip The Darkness" - This is more of a traditional heavy metal sound. I like the addition of a female singer. You just don't hear many women in these type groups. Otherwise it's still a rather generic sound and song. I wouldn't turn it off but, like with the Symphonic Metal songs posted, it's not "catchy" enough for me to seek out more.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll have to listen to it again, and more closely. I failed to hear any similarity in chord progression, and didn't hear any of the same lyrics on my quick listen. I've listened to enough jazz to have heard freestyle riffs on a song that were so abstract that only a musicologist could hear the similarity.

So @John Dirk , yes, I am listening to some of these and definitely WILL contribute more when I'm not at work. Those Miss Li tracks got my attention. I enjoy her musical style, if not her voice so much.

On the topic of "covers", or more accurately, jazz variarions, here's one of the more famous variations on a very popular jazz base song. The base song is pretty easy to identify in this case, but let's see who's first to get it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a variation on:

Sweet Georgia Brown

BUT - I knew that going in so...
Yeah, it's pretty well known. Plus, that tune's been "covered" a million times.

I have another really interesting one, but I'll participate in stuff already posted first.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Stan Getz - Oscar Peterson Trio - Original Jazz Sound

I was sound asleep at the 7 second mark. Seriously though, with rare exceptions, Jazz is just a form of music I can't really get into. This would have been fine as background music in a lounge setting but to actively listen to it seems odd to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucrin
Recent bookmarks