What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I ran across this awesome tune on Grey's Anatomy, season 7. The artist, Adele, reminds me of Imani Coppola, whom I first mentioned back in post #1171. She's been mentioned here before but as far as I know, no songs have been featured. Fixing that.

Adele - Rumour Has It

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I ran across this awesome tune on Grey's Anatomy, season 7. The artist, Adele, reminds me of Imani Coppola, whom I first mentioned back in post #1171. She's been mentioned here before but as far as I know, no songs have been featured. Fixing that.

Adele - Rumour Has It

Adele - Rumour Has It.

Well, she does everything so right with a voice that is second to none. Beautiful voice, but "Rumour Has It" never really caught on with me. I think her breakout song "Someone Like You" is much better. It was played to death on the radio when released, but I liked it each and every time I heard it.

Adele - Someone Like You

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Sonny and Cher - Leroy Brown
Well, the Jim Croce original is infinitely better than this performance but it was still fun seeing Sonny and Cher in those throw back costumes. It also brought back painful memories concerning Sonny's death. He seemed like the nicest guy in the world.

Jim Croce

Operator

I've always loved Jim's voice and remember this song from my childhood. Still holds up well today.

I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song
Same as above. His music was the type I just took for granted back in the day and now realize how special it really was. He had a great talent for producing memorable hooks.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Adele - Rumour Has It.

Well, she does everything so right with a voice that is second to none. Beautiful voice, but "Rumour Has It" never really caught on with me. I think her breakout song "Someone Like You" is much better. It was played to death on the radio when released, but I liked it each and every time I heard it.

Adele - Someone Like You

I actually have the opposite opinion. I don't think her voice has the range required for intricate ballads like this. It's certainly not bad but I preferred the more upbeat, Rumour Has It.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
As for music I loved as a kid, my older sister always watched Sonny and Cher and when I saw this I thought it was the coolest song ever...

My mom knew how much I liked the song and bought Jim Croce's Photographs & Memories album. I didnt like the slower songs, but as I got older my mindset flipped. Now I think Leroy Brown is kind of a hokey little song but I love most of his other music.

It's *really* hard to mess up a classic Croce song - yet, Sonny & Cher manage to do it for me. I really like Cher's voice and approach to many songs and Sonny was always under rated as a singer. Just not with this one, though the majority of that is the accompaniment and overall treatment. And what's with Cher's pants with the crotch at the knees? I never did understand why anyone would want to wear something like that.

That said, here's the original to get the taste of the cover out of your head.

Jim Croce - "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown":

Croce was the master of the "story song" doing them better, and more consistently, than almost every one else. I've loved "Operator" since I first heard it in 1972. Here's another of my favorites from that same album, his first on the ABC label, "You Don't Mess Around with Jim":

Jim Croce - "Time in a Bottle":

And here's his other big story song in a similar manner to "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown". I always got a kick out of the twist ending.

Jim Crocy - "You Don't Mess Around with Jim":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So... Sonny & Cher...

Sonny & Cher - "The Beat Goes On" (check out those mod coats!):

Sonny & Cher - "Baby Don't Go":

And one of my favorite Cher solo songs...

Cher - "Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves":

And you thought I was going to post "I Got You, Babe." :D

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'd absolutely say there's no accounting for taste - especially in your formative years when you're trying to figure out what you really like. For example, here are some I absolutely loved as a tyke. OK... I still like them...

Sheb Wooley - "Purple People Eater":

Tennessee Ernie Ford - "Sixteen Tons":

Johnny Horton, "The Battle of New Orleans" (The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band version is my favorite recording of this one but this is the one I grew up with):

Bobby Darin - "Mack the Knife"

Hank Williams - "Hey, Good Lookin'" (still like Hank's original but prefer the Linda Rondstadt/Nitty Gritty Dirt Band cover):

All good. I like you are getting to some classic country. Lot of great stuff there.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Adele, "Rumour Has It" - I really like her voice but the backing track takes too long to build. In spite of that, I like it better than the next track posted.

Adele, "Someone Like You" - I like this one but it needs more "meat" in the accompaniment.

She has a kind of Bonny Raitt vocal sound - has she done any blues or blues rock? She really has the voice for those genres.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So... Sonny & Cher...

Sonny & Cher - "The Beat Goes On" (check out those mod coats!):

Sonny & Cher - "Baby Don't Go":

And one of my favorite Cher solo songs...

Cher - "Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves":

And you thought I was going to post "I Got You, Babe." :D

All great songs. Feels good listening to them.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
As for music I loved as a kid, my older sister always watched Sonny and Cher and My mom knew how much I liked the song and bought Jim Croce's Photographs & Memories album. I didnt like the slower songs, but as I got older my mindset flipped. Now I think Leroy Brown is kind of a hokey little song but I love most of his other music.

It's *really* hard to mess up a classic Croce song - yet, Sonny & Cher manage to do it for me. I really like Cher's voice and approach to many songs and Sonny was always under rated as a singer. Just not with this one, though the majority of that is the accompaniment and overall treatment. And what's with Cher's pants with the crotch at the knees? I never did understand why anyone would want to wear something like that.

That said, here's the original to get the taste of the cover out of your head.

Jim Croce - "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown":

Croce was the master of the "story song" doing them better, and more consistently, than almost every one else. I've loved "Operator" since I first heard it in 1972. Here's another of my favorites from that same album, his first on the ABC label, "You Don't Mess Around with Jim":

Jim Croce - "Time in a Bottle":

And here's his other big story song in a similar manner to "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown". I always got a kick out of the twist ending.

Jim Crocy - "You Don't Mess Around with Jim":

Yeah Jim Croce was the real deal. A very gifted singer. I love most everything from him. All great songs listed.

Apologies if this has been listed already

jim Croce - I got a Name

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The posts about Croce made me realize I didn't have a single thing from him in my Spotify library so I fixed that. I'm currently listening to that first ABC album which will be followed by the next two.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
She has a kind of Bonny Raitt vocal sound - has she done any blues or blues rock? The really has the voice for those genres.
That’s always kind of been my problem with Adele, and with that genre in particular. That bluesy voice and casual or “street” accent or pronunciation doesn’t fit the song style. I think she’d be a great blues singer. She definitely has the pipes and a powerful voice.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You know... we talked all around them but no one really posted any tracks. Here are several from their album "10" and one you rarely hear from "Vs.".

Pearl Jam - "Black":

Pearl Jam - "Alive":

Pearl Jam - "Even Flow":

Pearl Jam - "Jeremy":

Pearl Jam - "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's a kind of throw back straight ahead rock band we've not yet listened to...

The Black Crowes - "She Talks to Angels":

The Black Crowes - "Hard to Handle":

The Black Crowes - "Remedy"

The Black Crowes - "Thorn in My Pride":

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One of my favorite current male vocalists is Josh Groban. He sings a whole gamut of styles from pop, to opera, to Broadway, and even in foreign languages. These are a couple of my favorites (though there's many, it's hard to choose just a couple).

"The River"

"The Bells of New York City" This also works as a holiday song, but it's not actually from his holiday album. I usually include it my Christmas mix.

"The Fullest" featuring Kirk Franklin. From his newest album, Harmony.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I like all of those tracks by Pearl Jam and The Black Crowes. Eddie Vedder's voice reminds me of someone else, but I can't come up with the name at the moment.

I was thinking "She Talks to Angels" was a cover of someone else, but I see it's a Black Crowes' original. I wonder if I'd heard it when it was released (it was a Top 40 hit) and just forgot (or never knew) who sang it, so that's why it sounds familiar now?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I like all of those tracks by Pearl Jam and The Black Crowes. Eddie Vedder's voice reminds me of someone else, but I can't come up with the name at the moment.
Jim Morrison is the singer he was frequently compared to in the early days of Pearl Jam. He even sung with the remaining members of The Doors when they got inducted in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 1993 or 93.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Josh Groban, "The River" - I really like this one. He has a very good voice and range.

Josh Groban, "The Bells of New York City" - Again, good voice though I don't particularly care for this one. Sounds too MOR/Broadway for my tastes.

Josh Groban, "The Fullest" - Didn't care for this one either. The "yeah!" and "woa!" and "come on!" type vocalizations were distracting and don't really fit the song well or add anything. The choir was the best part. I'm thinking those bits I didn't like are from Kirk Franklin as they don't sound like Groban.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Jim Croce -

"Time in a Bottle":
Yep. Another great classic!

You Don't Mess Around With Jim
Oh wow! I remember this one from my childhood too. Added!

Sonny & Cher

The Beat Goes On
I do remember this song but never knew who performed it. I'm more familiar with this identically titled but unrelated song by The Whispers.

"Baby Don't Go":
Not for me.

"Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves":
Same as above.

When it comes to these two, I loved their stage shows much more than the actual music. I never felt either was a particularly gifted singer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks