What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (3 Viewers)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Here are a few more "blasts from the past"...

Vanity Fare - "Hitchin' A Ride":

I'd always wondered where the original came from. I'm more familiar with Sinitta's europop version. I knew it was a cover, but had never known who did the original track. I like them both. The basic arrangements aren't really that different, and I like the original vocals too.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Badfinger

"No Matter What":

Nice tune for sure but it definitely has that Beatles influence. I like both the vocals and the fun, energetic musical flow.

"Day After Day":
I remember this one from way back when. I was 5 years old when it was released and it still instantly brought back memories. Nice find!

"Baby Blue":
I really like this group. Each song presented thus far manages to be unique while still preserving their overall, energetic appeal and melodic style. I find this particular track more musically engaging than the others.

"Without You"
Wow! Another old school classic. I absolutely love this song. I think I presented a Mariah Carey cover of it some time ago. She killed it with her amazing vocal talent but there's still nothing like the original. Here's her version again for reference.

Mariah Carey - Without You

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Turtles "Elenore":
I do believe I've heard this before but can't recall the circumstances. Either way it's a fun tune, reminiscent of a really cool time.

The Walker Brothers - "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore":
The boomy percussion was an interesting choice for this otherwise vocally stellar track.

Vanity Fare - "Hitchin' A Ride":
Kind of like Elenore, this is a nice, fun track. Not much going on lyrically but that wasn't really the point. It's got a nice beat, some great harmonizing and an upbeat fun feel. Nice!

The Fortunes - "Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again":
Really nice slower groove. Again, great harmonizing vocals but this time with musical backing that stands just fine on it's own. This was truly a great era! Kind of hate that I mostly missed it.

The Ronettes - "Be My Baby":
Ah yes, what a great and underappreciated group. I just watched a short documentary on them. Their association with Phil Spector was both a blessing and a curse.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'd always wondered where the original came from. I'm more familiar with Sinitta's europop version. I knew it was a cover, but had never known who did the original track. I like them both. The basic arrangements aren't really that different, and I like the original vocals too.

You're right. The style is different but the fun feel and harmonizing are still there. Isn't it amazing what can be done with music across styles and genres!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Sinitta, "Hitchin' A Ride" - Practically note for note. I don't care for the recorder part being updated to a synthesizer but it still works. Their version is also a bit slower - just enough to throw me off a bit. The lower key worked OK. The only thing I found distracting was the video/dance (I don't particularly like to watch dancers anyway so...). I had to stop watching after ~30 sec. and just listened at that point.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Ronettes - "Be My Baby":
Ah yes, what a great and underappreciated group. I just watched a short documentary on them. Their association with Phil Spector was both a blessing and a curse.

That was interesting in spite of being a bit repetitive and the "creator" mostly reading, poorly, bio information easily obtained from dozens of sites.

Outside of the romantic "catastrophe," you can say the same about just about any group who chose to associate with Spector. I'm not generally a fan of his "wall of sound" production approach and having heard a few songs stripped of his touch find I tend to favor the untouched versions.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So... just because he was mentioned, here are some of the songs produced by Phil Spector. Some with his touch rather obvious and some not so much.

The Ronettes - "Walking In The Rain" (the sfx of thunder and lightning earned a Grammy nomination):

The Crystals - "Da Doo Ron Ron":

Tina Turner - "River Deep - Mountain High" (credited to Ike and Tina Turner but Ike doesn't appear on the track):

George Harrison - "What is Life":

John Lennon - "Imagine":

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only thing I found distracting was the video/dance (I don't particularly like to watch dancers anyway so...).
I debated which version to use. The Top of the Pops performance was a bit shorter, so I went with that one. I think the album version is closer to 4 minutes.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Ronettes - "Walking In The Rain"

What can I say? I just love this era. I think this style of music is one of the main reasons the TV show Happy Days fared so well. I enjoy the Spector "wall of sound" for the most part but I get your point. It does tend to take away from the raw talent of the artist.

The Crystals - "Da Doo Ron Ron":
See above. Just a great, timeless song. Of course this one was forever immortalized in my mind by the below scene from the movie, Stripes.

Tina Turner - "River Deep - Mountain High"
This song is a perfect example of when the "wall of sound" did more harm than good. Tina's voice was all that was needed here. Still a great song.

George Harrison - "What is Life":
Nice song. It sounds like a classic Beatles tune but of course it would. Again, this one drives your point home. Sometimes less is more.

John Lennon - "Imagine":
Lennon's solo material can be polarizing for me but this is perhaps my favorite from him even though the Yoko influence is obvious.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Charlie O'Keefe - Good time Charlie's Got the Blues

The Statler Brothers - Flowers on the Wall

Charlie Rich - The Most Beautiful Girl

My dad was so into this type of music when I was growing up it brings back a really nice nostalgic feel.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Charlie O'Keefe, "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues" - I've heard this one quite a bit which makes me think it got some airplay on Top 40 pop. That, or I played it as a DJ in HS on a local AM station (I ran a country show on Sunday afternoons). Nice and mellow - doesn't sound all that country.

The Statler Brothers, "Flowers on the Wall" - Another I've heard quite a bit. Same thing as with "Good Time Charlie..." I'd have never pegged it as Statler Brothers though so it's unlikely I ran it on that radio show. It's a fun song.

Charlie Rich, "The Most Beautiful Girl" - This one was seemingly everywhere when it was popular. I never much cared for it but I've never cared for Charlie Rich either. Same for the album's title song.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Charlie O'Keefe - Good time Charlie's Got the Blues
Interesting. Country meets Blues? The two are already similar but this song brings them together nicely. The vocal style and music are Country while the lyrical content is more on the Blues side. He's a strong vocalist, something I can definitely appreciate.

The Statler Brothers - Flowers on the Wall
This one's a little on the Folksy side for my taste however I do remember it from it's use in Pulp Fiction. I remember at that time thinking it was an odd musical choice for that particular scene.

Charlie Rich - The Most Beautiful Girl
A timeless classic. Nuf said!

So these are my thoughts. Curious what you like about the above selections.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Weird Al, "What is Life?"
I feel the same way about this one as some of you did when I posted a Too Short song featuring Parliament Funkadelic. I am a huge Weird Al fan but this is "Al not being Al" which is of absolutely no interest to me.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Big Daddy Kane feat Biz markie - just rhymin' with biz

Hadn't heard this one as I was never a big fan of Kane's solo material. Still, I love this because it instantly brings back memories of MC's battling in NY parks and rec centers, before Rap became the commercial monster it is today. These guys were in it for the fun and challenge to be the best in their neighborhoods.
R.I.P to The Biz!

Madvillain - All Caps

I've never even heard of this artist as I mostly prefer 80's Rap but, just as above, I like the authentic style as opposed to a lot of material today designed solely for shock and awe.

I've been told there are a fair number of old school Rap fans lurking around here. "Come out come out wherever you are."

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Big Daddy Kane feat Biz markie, "just rhymin' with biz" - This one's the style that absolutely turns me off. Basic percussion track with reading a "poem" over the top.

Madvillain, "All Caps" - At least this one was short. This one's the style where the "lyrics" feel forced into rhyming and into the rhythm of the backing track.

Both suffer from my main issue with these, and other spoken story type "songs", in that there's no melody and that I typically just don't listen for lyrics until I've heard something dozens of times. If the song/melody doesn't grab me then your lyrics never will. I also don't read poetry as my mind falls into the rhyming/rhythm trap and I lose all meaning of what's being said - even if the poem doesn't rhyme I break it up into segments rather than reading it as a whole as the visual layout tells me to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alain A.
Recent bookmarks