What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Love Unlimited Orchestra, "Love's Theme" - Strangely enough, I really like this song and always have. How have we gone this long without something from Barry White?

Barry White - "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe":

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Love Unlimited Orchestra, "Love's Theme" - Strangely enough, I really like this song and always have. How have we gone this long without something from Barry White?

Barry White - "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe":

Right. How did we get this far without him? No 0ne does it like Barry. I did mention him back in post #2326 when commenting on Don Williams - Some Broken Hearts Never Mend

Here's Barry in a collaboration from a Quincy Jones produced album I mentioned awhile back.

Quincy Jones Secret Garden (Feat. Barry White, Al B. Sure, James Ingram, El Debarge​

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Vanessa Williams - Save the best for last - she has a beautiful voice, and its a fine song. Its just not the kind of music I ever find myself wanting to listen to.

The Ojays - I Love Music - I found this song just okay. Normally I like horns, but the recurring horn riff kept taking me out of the song. And there was some nice guitar work around 2 minutes in, and I was expecting more of that in the second half of the song, but instead not much happened musically.

Santana - Do you like the way - I love the music throughout, love the chanting like vocals, and I think Cee Lo's vocals really complemented Santana's guitar. They brought out the soulfulness in each others talents. But what was Lauryn Hill doing in that song? She came in yelling from out of nowhere, her segment drowned out the music and didnt match the rythym or the style of the song. It was just odd.

Lauryn Hill - Superstar - I didnt think Id like this when it started with her rap voice, wich I find kind of grating. But 30 seconds in she switched to singing, and I really liked it. And the underlying beat was soulful and nice.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Vanessa Williams - Disney's Pocahontas, "Colors of the Wind
Kind of dull. I don't blame Vanessa. I suspect writing a song for Disney comes with a full list of restrictions similar to the [usually] uninformed "notes" Network execs present to actors.

Love Unlimited Orchestra - Love's Theme
Yea, this was a great selection @Bryan^H ! It's been one of my "go-to" tracks musically for a long time. Pump this one up on some nice speakers and you're in for a real treat. It's not your typical guitar-laden track and also isn't your typical heavy, overproduced electronic fare. Those both have their place but I find this one somewhat unique in it's space.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Quincy Jones Secret Garden (Feat. Barry White, Al B. Sure, James Ingram, El Debarge) - This one was OK though I didn't care for the "dozens of voices" approach. And Barry sounded like he was mumbling - I could barely understand what he was saying.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Quincy Jones Secret Garden (Feat. Barry White, Al B. Sure, James Ingram, El Debarge) - This one was OK though I didn't care for the "dozens of voices" approach. And Barry sounded like he was mumbling - I could barely understand what he was saying.
Barry had triple duty in this one. Are you referring to his intro, lead vocal verse or backing vocals.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Barry had triple duty in this one. Are you referring to his intro, lead vocal verse or backing vocals.
The main one I noticed was somewhere in the middle-end where he was speaking - not singing. In all honesty, I'm not much of a fan when he speaks a line. I much prefer his singing voice - it's just soooooo smooth.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The main one I noticed was somewhere in the middle-end where he was speaking - not singing. In all honesty, I'm not much of a fan when he speaks a line. I much prefer his singing voice - it's just soooooo smooth.
Yeah, I've never really understood much of the love for Barry White as a vocalist. He seems to just talk more than sing. He has a nice, deep voice that's pleasant to listen to, but I've never thought of him as much of a "singer". Though I admit I haven't heard a lot of his music, mostly just a couple of the better known popular hits.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
He has a nice, deep voice that's pleasant to listen to, but I've never thought of him as much of a "singer".

That's true. He's sort of the James Earl Jones of music. Melvin Franklin of the original Temptations also had an amazing baritone/bass voice as demonstrated in this rendition of Silent Night.

The Temptations - Silent Night (A Temptations Montage)​

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Here's a nice slow jam with some prolific vocalists. Pretty good easy listening material and probably the only time this particular group ever collaborated. Brandon Fields on alto sax.

Quincy Jones "Heaven's Girl"​

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Here's a great old school Club classic. Nice, mellow electronic groove.

Paul Hardcastle - Rainforest (12 inch version) 1985 HQsound​

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Steve'n'Seagulls, "Thunderstruck" - That's an interesting and fun version of AC/DC's original. I can't say I've ever seen a banjo played with a pick like a guitar for an entire song - even the pickin' parts.

AC/DC - "Thunderstruck":

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Quincy Jones, "Heaven's Girl" - Oh yeah... nice and mellow jams there. Good selection.

Paul Hardcastle, "Rainforest (12 inch version)" - Pleasant enough though I didn't care for the regular "pew pew" sound. Could easily pass for light jazz.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Steve'n'Seagulls, "Thunderstruck" - That's an interesting and fun version of AC/DC's original. I can't say I've ever seen a banjo played with a pick like a guitar for an entire song - even the pickin' parts.

AC/DC - "Thunderstruck":

Didn't realize the previously submitted version was a cover. I like the original better but really appreciate the creativity of the former.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
This song was written and originally performed by Merle Haggard in 1965. There have been many covers by various artists across several genres since then. This one was featured in season 3 of Grey's Anatomy and immediately caught my attention. This is an artist I am unfamiliar with. She has a very strong and soulful voice.

Candi Staton ~ You Don't Have Far To Go ( lyrics)​

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Candi Staton, "You Don't Have Far To Go" - I really like how they mostly turned it into a rock/Motown ballad. She has a good voice though I don't like her phrasing. It's awkward. Maybe that's how Merle did it, too. I don't know as, to the best of my recollection, I've not heard this song at all before today.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Candi Staton, "You Don't Have Far To Go" - I really like how they mostly turned it into a rock/Motown ballad. She has a good voice though I don't like her phrasing. It's awkward. Maybe that's how Merle did it, too. I don't know as, to the best of my recollection, I've not heard this song at all before today.
Ask and ye shall receive. You're right about the phrasing. I personally think it works better for this style but definitely not taken from the original.

Merle Haggard - You Don't Have Very Far To Go

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks