What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And an artist that's not been mentioned yet...

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - "Here Comes My Girl":

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - "Don't Come Around Here No More":

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - "I Won't Back Down":

Tom Petty - "You Don't Know How It Feels":

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I was wondering if someone would bring up Petty.

My older sister was a big fan in the 70s and drove me nuts playing Im a Night Watchman over and over. It was the B side to the 45 of the waiting. So between that and the fact that since my sister thought he was cool I couldnt possibly like him, I missed most of his early work when it was originally released.

But sometime in the 80s between Let me up Ive had enough, the Travelling Wilburys and his solo album Full Moon Fever I became a huge fan and thankfully became acquainted with his first few albums.

But I think his last few albums, 2010s Mojo, 2014s hypnotic eye and 2016s Mudcrutch 2 are some of his best work.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
"Weird Al" Yankovic, "Smells Like Nirvana" - In spite of not much caring for Weird Al I listened anyway. It's OK but nothing I'll listen to with any kind of regularity. I wonder how much it cost him to hire Dick Van Patten for that cameo...
Patten also appeared in the parody Bedrock Anthem and was a guest on the Weird Al show, so I'm guessing it was more of a courtesy appearance.

Def Leppard
"Hysteria":
Not at all what I expected. This just a nice Rock ballad. I thought they would have a harder sound. Nice track for sure.

"Too Late Love":
Nice song. Powerful vocals and I love that heavy drum beat. The accompanying vocals are a bit much but not to the point where they detract from the musicality.

"Armageddon It":
I definitely like their slower songs better. This one is OK but sort of generic and bordering on Pop.

Let's Get Rocked":
Almost a Blues feel [vocals] but still with the requisite Rock underpinnings. This is a cool song.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Nirvana
"Come As You Are":
This one is pretty basic and doesn't really stand out in any way for me. Not a bad song just not a great one.

"Heart Shaped Box":
For better or worse, this is more what I associate with Cobain and Nirvana. Inner anguish expressed through music. The appeal of songs like this escapes me.

"All Apologies":
I like this one musically. The vocals are obviously distinctive but just not my fare.

"Lithium":
I suspect this is a song intended for established fans. Since I don't fall in that camp I'm sort of lost.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For some reason, I was never into Tom Petty back in the day. The first song I remember listening to a lot was "Stop Draggin My Heart Around" with Stevie Nicks.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
And an artist that's not been mentioned yet...

He was actually mentioned waaay back in post #403 but only in an ensemble performance of While My Guitar Gently Weeps with Prince.

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

"Here Comes My Girl":
Great group. Great song. Added!

"Don't Come Around Here No More":
Despite the basic drum machine beat and the even more basic lyrics, it's still Tom so I like it, just not as much as the others. The video is awesome!

"I Won't Back Down":
Tom is just a special performer. This song shouldn't be any good but, again, since it's Tom I can't help but like it. Nice, easy flow and a fun feel that more than makes up for the near absence of lyrical depth.

"You Don't Know How It Feels":
I love this one. It's like a really hip guy decides to make a Country song and adds his own unique touch.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
At the time, I was listening to "Stop Draggin My Heart" with an eye to transcribing the guitar lines which I thought were cool and non-trivial sounding.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For some reason, I was never into Tom Petty back in the day. The first song I remember listening to a lot was "Stop Draggin My Heart Around" with Stevie Nicks.

This is not Tom at his best [wasn't meant to be] but it's still a good song.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
"I Won't Back Down":
Tom is just a special performer. This song shouldn't be any good but, again, since it's Tom I can't help but like it. Nice, easy flow and a fun feel that more than makes up for the near absence of lyrical depth.
I agree the lyrics aren't deep, but from what I understand it was written in response to a rather traumatic experience (house fire that turned out to be arson). And it's been an anthem for many people overcoming personal struggles.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Tom Petty (Cont)
American Dream Part B

Love the Rock feel combined with Tom's trademark vocals. Great guitar solo too. Nice track.

Trailer
The vocals make this interesting. Aside from that I would have passed.

Hope
I've heard this one before. Never really liked it. Not nearly as musical as the others.

The Trip To Pirate's Cove
See what I mean about Hope being musically deficient? This one makes up for it and then some. Great, smooth song. Nice vocals as expected but also a mellow Blues feel with some great harmonizing. Added!

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
So the Travelling Willburys was a "supergroup" made up of Petty, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne (of ELO).

Much like Chickenfoot, their first album was a very loose, collaborative effort that really had a fun vibe to it. Almost every song featured all of the guys on vocals.

Orbison passed away before the second album was recorded. And again, like Chickenfoot, the second album wasnt nearly as good. With the exception of Wilbury Twist it wasnt really a collaboration. Each artist sang a couple of songs all by themselves, Im guessing the rest of them played the music. But there was no cohesiveness to it, and it wasnt nearly as successful.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I love a lot of Def Leppard's catalog. With Adrenalize, I remember being disappointed with the first single, "Lets Get Rocked," which I didn't really like much. My favorite track on the album is "Tear It Down".

"Pour Some Sugar On Me" seems to remain popular and is played to this day (another song of theirs that is not really a fave of mine), but their only #1 on the mainstream Hot 100 was "Love Bites".

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Anyone see Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

The Dream Academy - Please, please, please, let me get what I want.

oddly enough an instrumental version was used for the film, but the beautiful lyrics almost see catered toward the character of Cameron Frye. Hauntingly melodic, and wonderful I think.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Traveling WiIlburys
Handle With Care

Another really cool track but I still think Wilbury Twist is the better of the two.

Def Leppard
Tear It Down

Now that's what I'm talking about. This isn't my favorite genre but when I think of hard Rock this is definitely what comes to mind. Nice, powerful soundstage with a tempo slow enough to groove to.

Love Bites
As @BobO'Link would say, here is the mandatory ballad somehow required by any group that wants to reach legendary Rock status. In this case I'm gonna give it a C+. They maintain their signature powerful sound but still manage to produce a credible melodic slow jam.

Anyone see Ferris Bueller's Day Off?
Rhetorical I know but anyone answering "no" to this question should be greeted by a Government official and immediately carted off to an undisclosed location.

The Dream Academy - Please, please, please, let me get what I want.

You just made my day! An oboist featured in a music video? I don't think I've ever seen that outside of a full orchestral production. Finally some respect! The actual song is a nice, mellow and sedate groove but I can't say I remember it from the film. Perfect excuse to rewatch!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - A favorite and I like this "underproduced" version just fine. Frankly, without playing it back to back with the album version I truly don't hear that much of a difference.

There was a "devonshire" raw mix of the entire Nirvana album, which was on a special super deluxe released version of Nevermind a few years ago. As far as I can tell from listening/comparing and what I've read, devonshire sounds like a different raw mix before Geffen brought in Wallace to remix everything into an overproduced gloss.

It sounds "less raw" than that previous "smells like teen spirit" original raw mix I posted in an earlier post. (If nothing else, at minimum it sounds like devonshire had some eq adjusted).

Too many to list here, but most of the devonshire raw mix tracks are on youtube under a search of "nevermind devonshire"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks