What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Here are a few more 60s flashback tracks...

The Turtles - "Happy Together":

The Mama's and the Papa's - "California Dreamin'":

Hmmm... these 70s tracks also need attention...

Ringo Starr - "It Don't Come Easy":

Climax Blues Band - "Couldn't Get it Right":

All great tracks. You know how to pick em.

Surprised at how much I like The Ringo Starr track nowadays. I never thought much of his solo stuff, but I'm liking it more an more as time goes on. Funny how tastes change over the years.

I absolutely love "California Dreamin" If I could pick a track that makes me think of the 60's over any other it would be this.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I will expect your completed assignment on my desk first thing Monday morning, sir! :lol:

This is a great background song. It has a [who would have thought] calming effect which I find pleasant to have playing while I work on taking over the world!

Narf! I absolutely love that theme song! And the show's quite fun, too! I used to drive my grandson crazy as I'd go around singing it... He likes the show but me, out of the blue, breaking into song with the theme was too much. :D

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The lesser known tracks from Deep Purple's classic "Machine Head" album.

Deep Purple - "Maybe I'm a Leo":

Deep Purple - "Never Before":

Deep Purple - "Lazy":

I just started listening to Deep Purple a few months ago (studio albums) outside of the songs played on classic rock radio, I never heard much from them. The three tracks you selected are all really good. Just nice mellow rock, with very good keyboard/synth. Thanks for sharing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I will expect your completed assignment on my desk first thing Monday morning, sir! :lol:

This is a great background song. It has a [who would have thought] calming effect which I find pleasant to have playing while I work on taking over the world!

Love it, so catchy and will always be etched in my brain.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Some songs from groups in the '90s. Not sure if these are all 'one hit wonders' but these are probably their most famous songs. Sonically, I always enjoyed these songs, so here goes...

employee tracking software

Great selections, Man I miss the 90's sometimes. So many fun, songs. 'Groove is in the Heart" will always be a 90's staple, and well deserved.
It has been a long time since I heard
"Here, and Now" probably back when it was popular. Nice to revisit it after all this time.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Grand Funk Railroad
"Time Machine":

I would call this a Blues song. It's pretty formulaic as such but still a fun listen. I didn't know a harmonica could even do that. :biggrin:
I meant to comment on this comment when you posted but got busy with posting other stuff and just forgot!

Anyway... If you're referring to what I think, that's a kind of flutter tongue. Similar to what's done on brass instruments.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And *that* brings up songs featuring the harmonica...

Neil Young - "Heart of Gold":

The Doobie Brothers - "Long Train Running":

The Doors - "Roadhouse Blues":

Led Zeppelin - "When the Levee Breaks":

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Neil Young - "Heart of Gold":
Beautiful slow groove but not crazy about Neil's voice in this one.

The Doobie Brothers - "Long Train Running":
Oh I remember this one. Just like China Groove it's permanently etched in my mind. Great song that still holds up. Amazing how versatile The Doobie Brothers are.

Ah, Mr. Mojo Risin himself. Not a bad song but this was always my favorite.

Led Zeppelin - "When the Levee Breaks":

I could see this being a fun listen in certain environments where certain substances were flowing freely. Other than that it would be a difficult one for me.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Doors, "Light My Fire" - A classic. I, too, would say it's my favorite song from The Doors. The director of that HS Jazz Band I was in wrote an arrangement for us that was quite good and always got a good response from the audience.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
A few of my favorite old school club jams

Nu Shooz was formed in Portland Oergon in the early 1980's and had a couple of notable dance hits.

Nu Shooz :​

I Can't Wait​

Point Of No Return​

Loose Ends was formed in London in 1980. They had several hit songs. Here are a couple of my favorites.

Loose Ends:​

Hanging On A String​

Slow Down​

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
One of my favorite bands is Led Zeppelin. I can put on any of their albums and be quite happy. Here are a few of their "lesser known" tracks (i.e. things I don't recall getting much airplay that tend to be mostly known to fans).

Led Zeppelin - "Ramble On":

Led Zeppelin - "Gallows Pole":

Led Zeppelin - "Over the Hills and Far Away":

Led Zeppelin - "Nobody's Fault but Mine":

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Nu Shooz tracks are interesting. I don't think I'd ever heard anything from them beyond "I Can't Wait", though PONR does seem a bit familiar as I listened longer. I think I might like the shorter version, but not really a fan of that longer album version. I've not really been a fan of long album cuts from any artists, even those I like.

The Loose Ends songs have a nice, easy R&B groove to them. Nice music for relaxing. Probably not something I'd choose or buy, but I wouldn't be disappointed to hear it on the radio or on someone's playlist.

There's nothing really unlikeable with the Led Zeppelin tracks, but to me they sound like 3 or 4 different songs mashed together. I think I've mentioned previously that what I like about most pop/dance music is the considency and repeating patterns that are usually the same reasons listed by other people for why they don't like it. With the LZ tracks, it's like one song for a minute, then another song for a minute, then a different song for a minute. You have an acoustic section, then a vocal section, then a drum or guitar solo, then another quiet acoustic passage. Just too much shifting gears within the same song for my personal taste.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Nu Shooz, "I Can't Wait" - I really like the bass line and funk groove of this one. Actually it's quite pleasant but would be much better if it lots the electronic "voice" kind of sounds. Those took me out and make something I'd not seek out. Without them it'd be something I'd listen to on occasion.

Nu Shooz, "Point of No Return" - Nope. This one's just another 80s dance track. I really like the overall sentiment of the on-screen lyrics - it's a shame all of them weren't sung. But the song doesn't work for me so those more stand alone for me.

Loose Ends, "Hanging On A String" - I'd about decided this was an instrumental before the vocals started. I like the lead's voice but the song not so much. More gimmick type sound/music effects that, for me, just don't work. Overall, just don't care for it.

Loose Ends, "Slow Down" - Didn't care for this one either. Had the two done a segue between them I'd not have known when one ended and the other began.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Meat Puppets, "Comin Down" - Oddly enough I like this one, a country song from what's primarily a rock group. It's also on the only album/CD from them that I own. I generally like most of the material from that album - and it's pretty much all over the place with genres.

Ween, "I Don't wanna leave you on the Farm" - It's OK but a bit too stereotypical country with just odd lyrics. IIRC this is completely atypical of their output, from an album of similar tracks.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The Doors - "Roadhouse Blues":

I have always been a fan of The Doors. I bought all their studio albums, and An American Prayer By Jim Morrison when they were released on audio cassette. Although their debut album was amazing I still feel their follow up "Waiting For the Sun" (1968) is their best album. It not only is a strong showcase for Jim Morrison's wonderful lyrical ability, but the musicians shine bright (just listen to John Densmore's wonderful drumming, and Robby Krieger's silky smooth, and mellow guitar work...Ray Manzarek's keyboard is on a whole new level as well). Here are three underrated tracks I think are very, very good. Although my sister labeled it "circus music" back in the day, it didn't even bother me. The Doors aren't for everyone, and that is fine by me.

The Doors

Wintertime Love

Summer's Almost Gone

Yes, The River Knows

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Led Zeppelin
"Ramble On"

This one started out sounding almost folksy, a sound I would not have attributed to Zeppelin, but switched to a more familiar hard Rock sound as it progressed. Enjoyable track.

"Gallows Pole"
I like how the tempo and intensity gradually increase as opposed to the abrupt changes I've heard in some other submissions. I find the latter portion of this one most interesting, after the 2:00 mark when the drums kick it up a notch.

"Over the Hills and Far Away"
Can't go wrong with the acoustic guitar opening segment. Starting soft and building to a musical and vocal crescendo seems to be a hallmark of theirs, at least based on these songs. I like the guitar work here but not so much the vocals.

"Nobody's Fault but Mine"
This one could have just started at the 1:40 mark as far as I'm concerned. Even after that though, the disjointed style employed here just doesn't work for me as I've mentioned in other posts. Easily my least favorite of the selections presented.

Meat Puppets - Comin Down
Interesting track. It has strong country underpinnings but also a sort of poetic feel and even what I believe can be fairly characterized as a religious element. Not at all what I would have expected from these guys.

Ween - I Don't wanna leave you on the Farm
I like the feel of this one. Nice, simple beat and melody. A little short on lyrical content for my taste.

The Doors

Wintertime Love

I find this one on the dull side. Nothing wrong with it, just no overall appeal for me.

Summer's Almost Gone
I like the laid back feel of this one and the rich vocals compliment the music nicely. Cool, lazy track to have playing in the background.

Yes, The River Knows
Sorry but not feeling this one at all.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'd about decided this was an instrumental before the vocals started

Loose Ends, "Slow Down" - Didn't care for this one either. Had the two done a segue between them I'd not have known when one ended and the other began.

Excellent observations. It's interesting how certain songs work only in the intended environments. These were primarily dance tracks so the points you've made actually contributed to their appeal in clubs because they kept people on the dance floor and were easily blended with similar tracks to keep the party going.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Doors, "Wintertime Love" - "Summer's Almost Gone" - "Yes, The River Knows" - Outside the more well known songs, The Doors albums are more about the journey and really need to be heard in their entirety. They're essentially suites that just happen to have popular songs interspersed. For me, the songs that got radio play stand alone very well but not so much the rest of their catalog. That said, I just happened to listen to "Waiting for the Sun" this past Friday and it works as a whole. These three are some that, for me, just don't work outside that whole album experience.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The Doors, "Wintertime Love" - "Summer's Almost Gone" - "Yes, The River Knows" - Outside the more well known songs, The Doors albums are more about the journey and really need to be heard in their entirety. They're essentially suites that just happen to have popular songs interspersed. For me, the songs that got radio play stand alone very well but not so much the rest of their catalog. That said, I just happened to listen to "Waiting for the Sun" this past Friday and it works as a whole. These three are some that, for me, just don't work outside that whole album experience.
Well said. Fortunately I almost always listen to the Doors from beginning to end when selecting a specific album, songs played individually might lessen their appeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks