What's new

The Great Escape - Widescreen Review (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In their review of the new version of The Great Escape, Widescreen Review state that "the remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 channel soundtrack sounds excellent" and that the remastered recording has "effective ambient audio effects mixed in both surround channels". This is one reason why I will not be renewing my subscription for the magazine because this review is nonsense. The so-called 5.1 soundtrack is little better than a mono soundtrack and the review makes me wonder just what planet the reviewer is living on.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
I have to say I watched this on my krell/martin logan system worth at least £20K and it does sound like mono, with occasional sound spread out to several channels at once, there is no discrete effects at all in any channel - it's not even stereo! Chace did the "remix" on this and it sounds like one of their efforts where multi-tracks are unavailable and the end result still sounds like the mono it started of as...

M

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Back in the mid-to-late 90s, it was a great resource for tech-minded home theater fans as there wasn't really a good all-round resource for Laserdisc transfers, hardware, technical set-ups, etc. Now that the internet is in full swing with every piece of art and entertainment scrutinised by people all over the world, the need and demand for such a publication is quite low indeed. One wonders if the fellow at the magazine even review The Great Escape: Special Edition. As I recall, there reviews of a DVD's audio quality were never that good and were often misleading.

There is no definitive resource for DVD reviews, of course. The best thing to do is to use www.dvd-basen.dk and to confer with other people at HTF, DVD Talk, etc.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I have NOT heard the new mix for Great Escape - I do know that Chace had music track and separate music and effects trachs for this film to work with.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

DVD Basen is hosted by DVD Times, and they've moved servers this week. Basen should be back in a day or two.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
According to chace themselves... http://www.chace.com/PDF/The%20Great...%202%20doc.pdf
..they used a composite mono mag track and a composite music and effects stem, all sources used were mono, their were no sources used for either music or effects that didn't have the other on them - so it's little wonder that it still sounds mono, with no discrete effects and and a 5 channel mono sounding score!

M

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Dirty little secret: lots of DVD reviews are written for discs that the writer barely glanced at, if at all. I don't read WSR, but I see mistakes at others sites all the time - big, stinking, glaring ones that make it patently obvious the reviewer might have skimmed the DVD at best. Drives me nuts...

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator

You have to wonder why MGM even bothered paying to get it done if they didn't have the right materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lola92
Recent bookmarks