The Great Escape--a movie I'd like to see redone

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DanFe, Nov 11, 2003.

1. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

As much as I have always liked The Great Escape, after watching the region 4 special edition extras the other day, I came away with the feeling that somehow Sturges and the screenwriters trivialized some of the things that happened in the movie. The ending especially really irritates. On top of that, the movie seems to focus on how cool and brilliant these men were (which they were), but defocuses the terribleness of the situation. I'd really like to see someone do this again.

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, first and foremost, this movie was meant to be an action/adventure movie and not a movie of the same depth as say......"Schindler's List" or "The Pianist." This is one of my favorite movies of the genre, made exceptional by the superb cast. I found nothing irritating at all about it. If I want to see a depressing WWII movie I will watch the two mentioned above. For me, "The Great Escape" is just that.

3. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

I don't know if I'm looking for overly depressing, but it just seemed that Clavell and his co-writer, along with Sturges, were wanting to show how really brilliant and cool these guys were over other aspects of the situation.

One, there's no sense of the conditions of the camp that make me think it's really a bad place. Everything is sanitized (even the tunnels look like a place that I would have no problem being in they are so clean and tidy). The barracks look like a cabin at the lake. Second, the real escape happened in winter and the men had to go through terrible cold to make it (which 50 we know didn't).

Additionally, as you might know, Americans were not involved in the escape and while the movie attempts to bring in other nationalities (Colburn as an Aussie and Bronson as a Pole), I really see this as mostly a British and American film. Two of the men that made it safely were Norwegian.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I like the original just fine without this being revisited.

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    One of the most popular movies ever made, remade with a harsher, more realistic, less heroic edge? Not a chance, if anything a remake would be superficial and focus almost solely on some flavor of the month, i.e. Colin 'fookin' Farrell on a motorbike escaping the Nazi's, climaxing with our hero evading the enemy by leaping over a bridge that had just been destroyed by the Allies. Cheers and whistles from the audience.
    Music by Hans Zimmer with lamentful wailing provided by, who else, Lisa Gerrard. [​IMG]

6. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I also don't think that a remake is necessary at all. It is fine the way it is.

~Edwin

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

There is no way a remake would make this better.

So might as well stick to the original

8. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

I would only say look at some of the extras on the disc and perhaps read the book. BTW, not saying the movie isn't a great movie. It is. A remake however wouldn't necessarily mean less heroic. Perhaps one of the things I didn't care for most of all was the McQueen storyline.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I've read the book and I have the dvd with all of the extras, but I still feel a remake is not warranted in this case.

Crawdaddy

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    A remake of the current DVD, however, would be most welcome.

11. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Um there's Hart's War for anyone interested in a gritty, serious attempt at a WWII PoW movie, and was made pretty recently, I think last year?
    Bruce 'smirkin' Willis and Colin 'fookin' Farrell were the stars. [​IMG]

12. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

Steve,

No way would I want them to make a Hart's War film out of Great Escape. That thing was beyond ridiculous . And as for a new dvd, I agree. Region 1 still has that P&S travesty.

13. JoeMKal

JoeMKal Stunt Coordinator

this is one of my favorite movies all time, and personally I like that the tone of the film isn't so depressing, it makes the movie a lot more watchable,I am guessing that in the event that they remake it, it would be more pc, and historically accurate, which I think would make it into a totally different, imo inferior version, plus steve mcqueen wouldn't be in it

14. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Was Hart's War really bad? Can't remember it much and I watched it like last week, there was a trial, escape attempts, Bruce smirkin' in a dirty vest, our Colin on a motorbike, no wait...[​IMG]

The Last Castle, anyone? [ducks]

15. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

Joe,

It's a favorite of mine and I even thought that McQueen's part was way cool back when. Of course, wasn't it McQueen that insisted on the motorcycle scenes and the jump? I seem to remember something like that.

16. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

17. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

The movie has already been remade as THE GREAT ESCAPE II, with Christopher Reeve. This was a TV project, though.

18. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I shudder at the thought of a remake, but I could go for a re-envisioning of the story...probably as a sci-fi movie in an alien camp or something.