The Great Cable Debate: A Peace Offering

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,
    It appears to me that the cable debate has gotten a bit acrimonious lately. May I propose a peace offering of sorts.
    I think we can perhaps agree on the following:
    1. There are two camps involved: (1) believers that hear sonic differences among different cables and (2) non-believers that do not hear differences
    2. Some believe that great advances in wire purity, wire components, and wire design have occured over the past 10-15 years.
    3. Non-believers think there is a lot of hype around certain audiophile, high end cables. (for the record, I personally do not deny there is quite a bit of this).
    4. There are all sorts of background represented here at the HTF...audiophiles, recording engineering types, enthusiasts, music and video lovers with less technical interest, etc. As well, all sorts of economic background is represented and a $200 cable may be outrageous to some but not to others.
    5. At the end of the day, its all about the music.
    I propose we can keep everyone happy by doing the following:
    1. Setting up regional cable tests in a "blind listening" mode and simply posting what the results are. I am working toward a high end test in New York City but have been stymied on my first choice of location, but we will get it done.
    2. Limiting any further personal attacks on non-believers and believers.
    3. Limiting any further analogies of what cable phenomena is like. I believe these are misleading and do not serve either side. The electrons flowing like the "speed of light" for instance.
    4. Debating the technical or pure scientific evidence either for or against sonic differences.
    5. Respecting any participants specific equipment while recognizing that different equipment components may react differently to different cables.
    6. Try to encourage members toward better sounding cables as a way to improve their systems regardless of one's views. For instance, suggest what your personal experience has been or favorite cables are. If cheap cables are just as good, then recommend where to get the best deal on parts and wire components.
    Does this seem like a reasonable way to go?
    Let me know your thoughts. [​IMG]
    Lee

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

3. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    That works for me.

Lee

5. dougW