What's new

Directors The Great Beverage Poll (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Based on a side discussion in the mini-challenge that George and I have over in movies, I’ll take Angelo’s idea (which is a rif on Brook’s new rating system :D)and try this as a poll: list your 10 favorite beverages. I leave it to you to categorize. I expect to be more specific in later posts, if this takes off (and since we are getting more postings on this than on the movies there is no reason that it should not). I’ll start with a list of spirits and an example or two of each.

Spirits:

1.Cognac: Louis XIII from Rémey Martin is no doubt the best I have tasted that is not a special, one-time bottling. In the interest of economy, the one I normally buy for home use is Hennessy’s Cordon Rouge (economy being a relative thing)—but it does vary as to my mood at the time.
2.Armagnac Château de Castex d’Armagnac (this is quite expensive, so I don’t normally have any at hand. I might indulge after dinner at a fine restaurant.
3.Single malt scotch: I am particularly fond of 16 year old Lagavulin. I would usually have a bottle of Glenmorangie on hand as well (my wife bought me a single barrel bottling once when she was working in England). Great stuff.
4.Aperitifs Campari is my favorite (served with a soda). Pernod is great, but only if you like licorice.
5.Gin I’m a fan of Bombay Sapphire. When I’m not in the mood for something this floral, I’ll take Gordon’s every time.
6.Bourbon (small batch, such as Maker’s Mark). Wild Turkey is not too bad either.
7.Vodka Here I’ll go with Brook’s rankings: Gray Goose and Stolichnya (I used to get this one at Duty Free on my way into Singapore for $9 Sing for a 1 liter bottle—a price performer indeed).
8.After Dinner (with some sweetness) Grande Marnier and B&B are at the top.
9.Rum: I love Aniversario, an aged Venezuelan rum. There is some pretty good dark rum from Barbados as well, but I can’t remember the name offhand.
10.Grappa I can’t think of an example right now, but I do like these in the weird bottles especially. No doubt Angelo will have a favorite.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
1. Water: Aberfoyle is the best, Dannon and Evian are pretty good too. Deer Park and Polish Springs are the worst.
2. Coca-Cola Classic: Best from the fountain, great from glass bottles, pretty good from cans, plain bad out of plastic.
3. Chocolate Milk: Must be VERY well-shaken, so that's it's literally nothing but bubbles, and drank from a mug or glass that's been in the freezer for a while.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
1. Water
- I love Aquafina bottled water

2. Code Red Mountain Dew
- I got ten pounds this way. :)

3. Chocolate Milk
- I love Hershey's bottled variety

4. Dark Beers
- I love Guinness, although I'm not sure whether I like the Extra Stout or Draft version better. There was another dark beer I tried that I like better than Guinness, but its name escapes me.

5. Amber Beer
- Amberbock I like

6. Vanilla Pepsi
- Creamier than Coke's Version

7. Sprite
- Loved this since I was a kid.

8. Orange Juice
- Freshly squeezed with some pulp. But if I could only get frozen concentrate, I go for Minute Maid.

9. Coca Cola
- I think it's best from glass bottles.

10. Honey Sweetened and Lemon Ice Tea

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
1. Mickey Melon (Mickey Rooney's Watermelon Drink)
and
2. Diet Chocolate Fudge Soda

These are two beverages I really miss. They're made by Canfield's, which is a Midwest company so you can't get 'em out here on the left coast.

3. Milk
Preferably 2%, but 1% will do. I drink a lot of milk. Mostly because I eat a lot of PBJ and other sandwiches, and milk goes perfectly with them.

4. Water
From the tap, or the Brita bottle, or whatever. Gotta have water.

5. Orange juice
The best thing in the morning.

6. any kind of fruity soda/drink
Fruit punch, grape soda, etc.

7. Diet Coke
To help keep my studly (ha!) figure. And it's got to be Coke. Pepsi tastes like medicine to me. Tab is okay, though.

8. Lemon-lime Gatorade
I can pound through a big bottle of this in seconds.

9. Apple juice
Sometimes I get a powerful craving for the stuff.

10. Chocolate milk
I get cravings for this, too... but I usually regret it afterwards, gives me upset tummy.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Soda:

Dr. Pepper
Stewart's Key Lime
Faygo Red Pop

Alcohol:

Corona
Guinness
Wild Turkey

Juice:

Orange
Pineapple
Cranberry

Coffee (strong and black)

Tea:

Green
Earl Grey

...and of course, water.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
:D
  • Grappa: the very best grappa I've had is probably Mazzetti d'Altavilla. For a sweeter grappa, probably Nonino di Monovitigno Moscato U'E.
  • Port: Graham's 20 year tawny is the best I've had. I have my eye on a 30 year or 40 year.
  • Brandy: Calvados. If your experience with flavored brandy is limited to Apple Jack, you must find Calvados, an apple brandy from Normandy which will knock your socks off.
  • Beer: Newcastle or Brooklyn Brown Ale.
  • Red wine: My wife and I have fallen in love with Vina Rey Tempranillo (2001). We buy it by the case. Otherwise, it's usually about $6 a bottle, and it blows away all the other trendy everyday reds that folks in J. Crew sweaters drink in magazine ads.
  • Milk: Any skim or 1% will do me fine.
  • Mineral water: I like Lemon Perrier.
  • Dessert: Vanilla egg-cream.
  • Coffee: Medaglia d'Oro espresso.
  • Sports drink: Gatorade citrus.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I haven't yet. I'm a novice when it comes to port. I've only tried the tawny I mentioned, white port (on the rocks, pretty good summer drink) and a basic ruby which was too sweet.

I'll definitely seek it out.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
1. Laphroig 10 Year-old Islay single malt Scotch

2. Johnny Walker Black (Never had the Blue, but the Gold is a waste of money)

3. Sambuca Romana

4. Guinness on Draft

5. Chateau Larose Trintaudon - Haut Medoc (Red Bordeaux)

6. Labrot & Graham's Woodford Reserve Burbon

7. Knob Creek 100 proof Burbon

8. Harpoon IPA (Boston)

9. Newcastle Brown Ale

10. Gentleman Jack

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Coffee & Tea, etc.

1.Expresso: The real thing made from a great coffee, in an industrial machine and by an accomplished Barista.
2.Strong, black coffee—no sugar. I normally use a French roast blend and put quite a bit in a French press. A good kick start in the morning. After dinner, I’ll increase the amount of coffee by 30%–50% and get something really strong. Mugs in the morning, demitasse cups at night.
3.Twinnings English Breakfast tea. A good, full rich hearty flavor, although I never drink tea at breakfast.
4.Japanese green tea. Perfect for many Japanese meals, especially sushi.
5.Chinese tea. For yum cha, of course—I’ve never known much here about brands or leaves or anything. I just go into a shop and take the local advice.
6.Lapsang Souchong. Smoked leaves make for a full, interesting flavor. Not everyone’s cup of tea.
7.Gunpowder. A Chinese green tea.
8.Chinese white tea—I don’t know any specifics here. I just have bought the tea in shops without knowing anything.
9.Hot Chocolate—my favorite is made with very dark, flavorful chocolate.
10.Café Cubano—a lethal bomb of very strong coffee (expresso) with more sugar than you can imagine. This gives a person a double buzz—caffeine and sugar all in one small package.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
BTW, I hate milk. Can't stand the stuff. Tastes like chalk to me. Yuck! :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
1. Kroger Skim Plus Milk - tastes like 1-2% rather than the thinner, somewhat watery taste of skim. I drink milk every day though not as much as when I didn't have to pay for it :D

2. Vodka - Grey Goose is the best (Just watched Sopranos S4, ep 7 last night "Who ever heard of Grey Goose? Its French Vodka?), but too expensive to have regularly, Stoli is 2nd place, and Absolut will do in a pinch. Best with Bailey's Lewbowski style. Screwdrivers 2nd choice. Don't drink it straight much.

3. Diet Mountain Dew
4. Dr. Pepper (though I usually drink diet now)

5. Whiskey - JB or JD
6. Minute Maid Pulp Free Extra vitamin OJ

7. Beer - Newcastle, Sam Adams regular, Rolling Rock (the best beer I've ever had was this microbrew at Kingfish in Boston but I can't recall the name of it, Nantucket something or other)

8. Water - from the fridge filter or Dasani
9. Sunny Delight - Orange or California

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
I tried HOEGAARDEN, a Belgian beer this summer. It's brewed with coriander and orange peel. Yummy stuff. Best served slightly cool, not cold.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
1. Beer
2. Coffee (black)
3. Red wine
4. Water
5. Grapefruit juice
6. Orange, Banana and Pineapple Juice
7. Coke Slurpee
8. Chocolate soda (traditional ice cream soda type thing)
9. Caesar
10. Pineapple Upside Down Soda (from Jones Soda)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A big :emoji_thumbsup: to HOEGAARDEN. I don't know what is available in PEI, Blaine, but there are several microbreweries in the States that make reasonable imitations.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
And a big :emoji_thumbsup: for the few remaining soda shops. Nothing like a Coke made right in front of your eyes by a soda jerk who knows his/her stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks