What's new

The great (and unofficial) E3 rant thread (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
After reviewing all the stuff shown at E3 this year, I would have to say that the big system winner was the PC. It is best suited platform for the few AAA titles I really must play: Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Deus Ex 2, Counter Strike 0.

That being said, personally I put Xbox as 2nd because I can eventually play all of the above titles without buying a whole new $800 PC ;) Otherwise, MS showing was a little weak. Some original titles look pretty good like Otogi and Ninja Gaiden, MS just seemed to only be showing a very limited selection of games. Why hold back now Mr. Gates, bring on the hype! The titles I really wanted to see weren't shown (Psychonauts? Fable?) and the Rare stuff was a yawn.

PS2 had a lot of good titles, most of the biggies weren't too exciting for me though. After the blowout of Vice City last year, most titles just sound ho-hum while waiting for Sin City news / footage.

Nintendo had P.N.03, but that was the only title there that really caught my interest. Wait, that 4 player Pac Man conversion is a really cool idea but ultimately not a system seller for me. I'll convince my best friend to get it and play at his house (hehe).

I don't think anybody lost, don't think anybody won.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
in reference to FF crystal chronicles

I just feel that the additional 3 GBAs should be optional, not required. The chance of me finding that many people w/ GBAs that also have time to come over is pretty much nil. I am probably not the only one.
According to Penny-Arcade.com this is not the case, the GBA's are necessary so that the game is not paused and such when going into menus and other things. interesting but disappointing, guess there wont be a PS2 port of this game.

it also kinda sounded liek a game that would be best when done multiplayer....

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The quote I found on Penny-arcade.com onf FF:CC:

Imagine if, every time one of four people needed to fuck around in their inventory, the game stopped for everybody else.
We had a great 3-player game that operated like this, it was called SECRET OF MANA! And it worked just fine that way. The option would have been nice.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The option is just that, and option. On another site, they said that demos of FF:CC were running with 4 GCN controllers. You do need to pause the game in order to go into menus if everyone isn't using GBAs, though.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Let me know what the site is, Morgan. Every site I have seen has seemed to say (or suggest) that they are required. No site I have seen has explicitly said that they are not needed. I would love to hear news otherwise!!

Gamespot:
In the single-player mode the game will allow players to use either a standard GameCube controller or a GBA in its stead. While in multi-player mode, a map, the enemy status and other information will be displayed on the GBA's screen.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
On a completely different note...

Was there any news on the PS2 Fear Effect game? I saw this ages ago in a Next Gen mag, so I wonder if it has been cancelled.

Also, any announcements regarding a sequel to Primal for the PS2?

-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Fear Effect: I'm not sure. I don't think there were any announcements, at least from what I saw. Try to find the master list of all (that's ALL) the games at E3 on GameSpot's site.

Primal: I don't think anything was announced.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The site is back up.

http://www.ffonline.com/news/news.ph...cle=2003-05-15

To quote from the article:
Previously, it was thought that multiplayer action would require each player to have his or her own GameBoy Advance to control his or her character. However, demonstrations today at the Nintendo booth proved that this is not the case; a character can be controlled just fine in multiplayer with a normal Gamecube controller, at the loss of the extra map and item control features available with a GBA

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Previously, it was thought that multiplayer action would require each player to have his or her own GameBoy Advance to control his or her character. However, demonstrations today at the Nintendo booth proved that this is not the case; a character can be controlled just fine in multiplayer with a normal Gamecube controller, at the loss of the extra map and item control features available with a GBA

Still seems ambigous, especially with the reports from the other websites. I will wait for something a little more specific before getting my hopes up.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
The newest Fable trailers combined with the announcement of co-op play have killed any interest I had in Crystal Chronicles anyway.

Then there was talk of an "evil mist" in FFCC in some previews, giving me horrible flashbacks of Legend of Legaia. Now THERE'S a game best left unremembered.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The idea in FF:CC is that there is an evil mist in the air that can hurt your team, so one of them has to carry around a medallion or something that will protect you, so one member of the party has to be protected by the others while carrying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks