What's new

The great (and unofficial) E3 rant thread (1 Viewer)

Dave.A.C

Agent
Xbox still has some guns hidden, it would seem. Big'ish games that haven't shown yet:

-Psychonauts
-Perfect Dark
-New Oddworld Game (hinted at by the devs)
-Strident
-Duality
-Tork (MS cut 'em loose, but it's still alive)
-Citizen Zero

Doesn't MS have their own Xbox conference in a couple of months? I remember last year X02 was shortly after E3. Maybe MS is saving up some gods for X03, much like the GC people say Nintendo is doing for Spaceworld?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I've just never been interested in a Sony title other than the Megaman franchise, and the few Star Wars games that have yet to be ported to the Gamecube. I'm more interested in Nintendo games, and I pray they get their act together soon.

Two Zelda games a year for the GC/GBA, 2 Mario games Etc... they should do fine.

They also need to stop these Super Mario Advance releases with the confusing number titles. Mario 3 is now Mario Advance 4, etc.. Just do a Mario All Stars for the GBA, with reworked graphics and extra bonus levels. If they can fit it, add in SMW and SMW2:YI as bonuses, and people will be happy.

One thing Nintendo has going for them is the mascot characters. There's no one character that people associate with Sony.

I just hoep the next GBA is a portable N64/Gamecube hybrid.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
One thing Nintendo has going for them is the mascot characters. There's no one character that people associate with Sony.
Difference being that Sony has no need whatsoever for a mascot to identify with. People see the Playstation 2 logo and token "VROOP" sound and thats one more Playstation owner.

Its going to take a combination of killer third party support, high quality first party exclusives and ONE HELL of a marketing campaign to dethrone Sony now or next generation. Folks think the first one out the door will be the immediate winner come 2005-2006 and that is truthfully wishful thinking.

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
My only quibble so far...Where are the 1st party Xbox and PS2 wireless controller announcements!? With the success of the Wavebird, I figured these would be announced by now.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing about Nintendo is that they don't have 2 new Zelda/Mario games coming this year. The Zelda games are puzzle games that require you to have one GBA per person playing connected to the GCN and the Mario games are sort of like platformers for the GBA (which don't look that interesting to me).

I'm disappointed in the first party Nintendo line-up, but looking at some of their second and third party stuff perks me up a bit.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Its going to take a combination of killer third party support, high quality first party exclusives and ONE HELL of a marketing campaign to dethrone Sony now or next generation. Folks think the first one out the door will be the immediate winner come 2005-2006 and that is truthfully wishful thinking.
Agreed. Dreamcast didn't dethrone Sony by being early. I think the one thing that would help the next-gen systems is the backward compatibility of both hardware and software that Sony touted successfully for the PS2. Make GC/Xbox controllers and games backward compatible (DirectX-based system in the Xbox should make that easy).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 was backward compatible because of it's design (it used some chips and such from the PSX, so it was really easy to make it play those games). To put those features in an X-Box wouldn't be that hard if it used DX (and MS would definitely do it if it meant making them money and people wanted it).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 was successful because people wanted it. Nobody wanted a DC except the fans, the same seems to be about to come true for Nintendo.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
:star: Warning Random Off Topic Comment:

---Neil' V's signature has rocked my world! 20 years of Turtles 1984-2004! OH my god, has it been that long?? Am I'm really THAT old? (30 if you must know) It feels like just yesterday that those turtles busted out. And the rising reinterest I've noticed lately is,... is,.... Nostalgia! Something I grew up with is now Nostalgia? To me, Nostalgia always brings to mind the idea of "the good olde days." I'm old enough to remember "the good olde days?" Alright, I'm going to be quiet on this subject now, just please don't remind me when Power Rangers first debuted, I don't think I could take the truth! :frowning:

James Nguyen

Second Unit
I must say on the Rare/MS side, I was at first disheartened to hear very little on Perfect Dark, but I must say, the trailer that Rare has on their website for "Grabbed By the Ghoulies" (http://www.rare.co.uk/games/upcoming...ies_movie.html) just OOZES with charm. I'm really looking forward to this one.

The more I see "True Fantasy Online" the more I'm looking forward to trying a "Japanese" MMORPG on the xbox live--I really love how the artwork is shaping up on that one. I suspect I'll also end up playing the next Final Fantasy on PC as well for at least a couple months--but being the way I am, I see myself enjoying that style of RPG more on the console than the PC--to me the PC is the domain for my hardcore FPS and RTS game play.

GT4 looks good, though to be honest, nothing in the footage I've seen thus far seems all that compelling. More cars and tracks probably wouldn't be enough for me to want to upgrade from GT3. Online competition might, but probably only after the title had been out and had dropped off in price some.

On the Cube front I was hoping to hear about my beloved Animal Crossing getting a sequel, maybe with online functionality, but alas nothing (That I've seen at least).

So, as the owner of all three, my excitement about the E3 showings of each of the respective consoles seems to closely mirror my overall playtime on the various consoles these days--xbox, a distant second place for ps2 and then next to nothing on the cube.

Them's the breaks I suppose.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I think Nintendo has some real problems going forward. One of the more interresting announcements was sony phasing out the current batch of ps2 units and replacing them with a ps2/network adaptor bundle. That means that going forward two out of three consoles will be online ready out of the xbox. With the xbox you'll still have to purchase the xbox live starter pack, but, basically where does this leave nintendo? Basically, hoping and praying that online console gaming fizzles.

I was quite disappointed with Final Fantasy: CC and this whole GBA connection. Nintendo needs this game badly to be a system seller, not an oddball niche product. MGS:Twin Snakes seems to be a just a waste of silicon knight's time. Do gc owners really need this game? Rebel Strike is the best thing I saw at E3 for the gc. And reading from the new egm, it's not entirely clear just how much longer factor 5 will be around for nintendo if gc sales don't pick up. This year, yes, but next year appears to be a question mark.

For MS, I'm wondering how much Rare is actually going to do for them. Grabbed by the Ghoulies, which I understand is grabbed by the balls overseas seemed to underwhelm everyone on forum boards I've been to. It better play well, because it's not grabbing anyone on the look. Conker, Live and Uncut. Good news, bad news. The bad, this is basically Conker's BFD. An n64 game on the xbox. I'm not sure I'm that thrilled by this. Xbox live play is nice, but if it doesn't come out for xmas, that might as well not bring it out. Kameo, looks very nice, but what the hell is taking so long. A 2003 game is now yet another 2004 release. MS can't keep playing these delaying tactics much longer or risk losing all credibility. If the game's not coming out within a 6 month time frame, don't even talk about it, don't even mention it.

Sony, pretty much what was expected, nothing much really one way or the other. But, I don't know how sony is going to get away with dropping the price on current ps2s, then raise the price later for the bundles. A lot of gamers, at this point, just aren't interested in online, and won't appreciate a price hike just to have it. Why doesn't sony just make the ps2 network adaptor bundle optional. Why force people to buy something they don't want. I think they could be shooting themselves in the foot here.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched the 2 Knights of the Old Republic E3 trailers on IGN, that game looks great to me! I haven't cared for a Star Wars game in some time, probably the last being Jedi Knight, in what, like 1997 I think! Definately looking forward to it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
It's interesting to me that boards like IGNCube (and a few others) are putting up stories about how Nintendo is already 'hard at work' putting a future next-gen console together for 2005 or thereabouts, and how they are determined not to let Sony (and presumably Microsoft) get a year's head start in the next console race. This is all very good, but I'm somewhat bemused by the idea that a finish line/obsolesence date for the GameCube is already being bandied around. I only just bought a GameCube recently but have been following the press on it for the past couple of years. British and general gaming mags were big on hyping upcoming GC titles with screenshots and previews, and then many of those big titles were put back. I remember the looooong wait (it felt like nearly a year) for decent exclusive games while the GC coasted by dribbling out titles available on all three consoles like AGENT UNDER FIRE. The British mags noted this in their editorials but cheered themselves up with upbeat thoughts on the future lineup of Rare. ("Banjo! Perfect Dark! The next Rare racing game! Lots of great stuff awaits us.."). Then, of course, Rare jumped ship and the editors penned a few editorials full of stiff upper lip and comiseration whilst another wait for strong exclusive titles began. Now that SUNSHINE, ZELDA and METROID are out it's true that GC has some top quality exclusive titles (I know I'm generalizing a little - they obviously have a few more - but these are the only ones that are of any major interest to me at the moment) but the current E3 announcements haven't yet excited me as much as I would have liked with word on the titles Nintendo have forthcoming. The snowboarding one looks okay. (Sure, PRINCE OF PERSIA looks amazing, but that's a multi-console title). As someone else posted on this board, the time for Nintendo to keep titles 'up their sleeve' is long past. If Nintendo don't show much more before the close of E3, the word will be "Well, let's wait until SpaceWorld - I'm sure they'll have a new Mario (and perhaps a Zelda) to show there". A few more months will go by as we wait, SpaceWorld will arrive, and we'll get to look at previews of upcoming stuff while noting that barely 18 months or so remain until the ostensible end of the console. When Nintendo announced the GameCube years ago I was pretty excited, but I'm not sure if I ever expected their overall release schedule and exclusive titles to be quite (just a little) as underwhelming and thin on the ground as they seem at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks