The Great American Western

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jerry Almeida, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    I recently purchased this box set for my dad for Father's Day. Before I give it to him I want to know what movies are actually in the set. I've googled this set up and down and even looked on DVD Profiler, no luck. Can anyone help me find out what movies are included in the set?

It's a 20 disc set put out by Platinum Disc Corporation.
    I've found plenty of places to buy it online, but none of the sites give any info on the movies included.

Here is a link to the set I purchased.

If this helps, the UPC is 096009148690

Thanks

2. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida
    I recently purchased this box set for my dad for Father's Day. Before I give it to him I want to know what movies are actually in the set. I've googled this set up and down and even looked on DVD Profiler, no luck. Can anyone help me find out what movies are included in the set?

It's a 20 disc set put out by Platinum Disc Corporation.
    I've found plenty of places to buy it online, but none of the sites give any info on the movies included.

Here is a link to the set I purchased.

If this helps, the UPC is 096009148690

Thanks

3. Gordon St Pierre

Gordon St Pierre Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a 2 DVD set from Platinum that contains 8 movies also called "The Great American Western" (walmart bin $5.88 can)
    One is Volume 1 & it has
    -Beyond The Law
    -Death Rides A Horse
    -Days of Wrath
    -God's Gun

The other is Volume 19 & it Has
    -Joshua
    -Kid Vengeance
    -Four Rode Out
    -Cry,Blood Apache

Take note that Volume one has all Italian Westerns on it LOL (which is why I bought them)& the quality on these is pretty terrible

4. Gordon St Pierre

Gordon St Pierre Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a 2 DVD set from Platinum that contains 8 movies also called "The Great American Western" (walmart bin $5.88 can)
    One is Volume 1 & it has
    -Beyond The Law
    -Death Rides A Horse
    -Days of Wrath
    -God's Gun

The other is Volume 19 & it Has
    -Joshua
    -Kid Vengeance
    -Four Rode Out
    -Cry,Blood Apache

Take note that Volume one has all Italian Westerns on it LOL (which is why I bought them)& the quality on these is pretty terrible

5. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

All Movie Guide tends to have solid information about various DVDs and their exact contents. The site typically has its database operators go through the actual DVD to create its entries.

Here is the AMG link to most of the volumes in the Great American Western series. I imagine that the set you bought is simply the first 20 volumes.

6. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

All Movie Guide tends to have solid information about various DVDs and their exact contents. The site typically has its database operators go through the actual DVD to create its entries.

Here is the AMG link to most of the volumes in the Great American Western series. I imagine that the set you bought is simply the first 20 volumes.

7. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida

So much for the "Great American Western". [​IMG]

8. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida

So much for the "Great American Western". [​IMG]

9. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    The warning is, if you want only the very best quality and most well known titles, never buy from an unknown or non studio DVD company.
    All you end up with is vastly inferior copies of mostly public domain titles.

Always stick to a major studio or leading distributor when making a purchase. ( unless you are desperate and the title is most unlikely to ever find its way to a studio release)

"One Eyed Jacks" is a perfect example of a major western that is in public domain and according to Paramount, is most unlikely to ever be released by that company.
    Reason being that the market is flooded with ghastly quality copies.
    So if you want "One Eyed Jacks" then I guess you have little choice but to purchase a terrible looking public domain copy.

10. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    The warning is, if you want only the very best quality and most well known titles, never buy from an unknown or non studio DVD company.
    All you end up with is vastly inferior copies of mostly public domain titles.

Always stick to a major studio or leading distributor when making a purchase. ( unless you are desperate and the title is most unlikely to ever find its way to a studio release)

"One Eyed Jacks" is a perfect example of a major western that is in public domain and according to Paramount, is most unlikely to ever be released by that company.
    Reason being that the market is flooded with ghastly quality copies.
    So if you want "One Eyed Jacks" then I guess you have little choice but to purchase a terrible looking public domain copy.

11. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    I have this set...transfers are questionable on some discs, but I have had better luck with Platinum than with other Public Domain companies.

12. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    I have this set...transfers are questionable on some discs, but I have had better luck with Platinum than with other Public Domain companies.