What's new

The Great American Road Trip (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
While I'm usually not a big fan of summer reality "fill-in" shows this one got my attention for two reasons
  • I've traveled the complete Route 66 trip (back in the days when it was the main road)
  • I grew up in Yonkers, NY - where one of the families comes from
After three of the eight (I assume) episodes I'm still watching not for "great television" but because I find it amusing. They are just about to get to the more scenic parts of "Route 66" (traveling from East to West). Also, there's something else that I find intriguing, much as some might find train wrecks "interesting":

The DiSalvatore Family

These are the Yonkers, NY family and they make me almost embarrassed to admit that I grew up in that town. They represent every stereotype that others think of when the term "Ugly New Yawkers" comes up. Crude, rude and downright obnoxious. But then I realized something.

Silvio DiSalvatore is a self-promoting character so it's an over the top act (and probably why he and his family were chosen to "compete" and take it to the limit). I thought he looked familiar (he and his family are a bit too young for our paths having crossed in Yonkers) and after I googled him it hit me like a ton of bricks - he's the guy who was on the shorted-lived American Inventor show in 2007 with his ridiculous "Black Cougar" superhero "invention." Same attitude, same schtick, same dark outfits. You got me, Silvio! Well played.

Check it out.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
We have been watching the show and it's kind of fun, but like you, we hate that guy from Yonkers. Way too over the top. Not believable. Like he's playing a charactor. Now I see he is. What I think is funny as that one family from Illinois keep winning and everyone else hates them because of it. Like they're cheating or something.

A good show to watch when nothing else is on.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If this show was done way differently, I'd be completely in.
I think I'm ready for a reality show that isn't really a competition.

My pitch:

Have three families plot their trip from NY to California. They get full funding. Let them make the trip. Keep blogs. Meet people. Do reporting of sorts. I'm trying to remember the show in the 80s or 70s, like "That's Incredible" or something similar.. anyway, tell the families: there is no race. When you get there doesn't matter. You have a fair ammount of money to spend. You cannot fly anywhere. Journey across the US and we'll film it. Do reports of the places you go, cool things you see. At the end of each episode, the US audience gets to vote by phone or TXT or whatever who had the better "cool thing" "experience" or "leg of the trip". The person with the most of those things at the end wins some sort of prize.

Maybe too wholesome. But I'd go for it. It's not about the race, it's about the journey. That's my tagline. Perfect for ABC Family.

(idea remains entirely mine, so networks, email me!!)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
I would too. Having driven across the country approximately 30 times over the years (for pleasure - I'm not a truck driver) I can completely relate to the open road and cross country motoring. While my family is now all grown and I wouldn't be in a position to take part as a contestant, I'd certainly like to see other people's take on such a journey. A lot has changed on America's highways in the fifty years that I've been driving them.

Nice concept.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I enjoy "documentary" style reality shows. I am sick of most of these wanna be reality show/competitions. I think this Roadtrip show could have been really cool if it was actually like Matt said, about the journey. I think most of these shows hire "characters" thinking it will be good tv and it just isn't.

I like your idea Matt, I would watch that show.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
[COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]I haven't watched the show that much. My wife and daughter do. But, I caught the episode from Vegas. And let me start by saying the Pollard family showed a lot of class...The Coote kids not so much.

That being said. Their is no way the Pollard family could have caught up to them after leaving the Excalibur. They are a block away from each other. You pull out onto the strip and pass the Luxor and then the Mandalay Bay. If they were leaving at the same time....I could see it. But, the Pollards still had to solve the puzzle. So even if it took them 3 minutes. The other family would have been at the Mandalay Bay already. Something is just not right.[/COLOR]

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Mark_B

Best line this week was when Mrs. Disalvatore talked about how they really need the money as they are having finacial problems. Maybe if her husband would get a haircut and stop competing on reality shows he could get a regualr job.
Maybe she should ask the Black Cougar for some money...

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

If this show was done way differently, I'd be completely in.
I think I'm ready for a reality show that isn't really a competition.

My pitch:

Have three families plot their trip from NY to California. They get full funding. Let them make the trip. Keep blogs. Meet people. Do reporting of sorts. I'm trying to remember the show in the 80s or 70s, like "That's Incredible" or something similar.. anyway, tell the families: there is no race. When you get there doesn't matter. You have a fair ammount of money to spend. You cannot fly anywhere. Journey across the US and we'll film it. Do reports of the places you go, cool things you see. At the end of each episode, the US audience gets to vote by phone or TXT or whatever who had the better "cool thing" "experience" or "leg of the trip". The person with the most of those things at the end wins some sort of prize.

Maybe too wholesome. But I'd go for it. It's not about the race, it's about the journey. That's my tagline. Perfect for ABC Family.

(idea remains entirely mine, so networks, email me!!)
Actually, it's kind of been done already: three guys wandering the counrtry for a PBS station in Kansas, hitting all the unusal, the off beat, the colorful tourist traps: http://www.rarevisionsroadtrip.com/

I've only got one of their DVD's (from my trip stopping by Hole 'n The Rock, Utah), but it's fun kitch stuff. Full thumbs up!

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Well, the Black Couger aka Silvio Disalvatore and his family won this thing. I just can't beleive it. The Coote's had a mental breakdown on the last challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronald nolan56