What's new

The Gray Man (2022) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
For me the “intense action” scene is what completely kills the movie. This stuff is so way over-the-top as to be ridiculous. It has unfortunately become standard action fare in today’s blockbuster movies. I can suspend disbelief for this type of physical impossibility in franchises such as Star Wars or Harry Potter, because these laws-of-physics-defying stunts have the excuse of being possible through the pretense of “the force” or “magical powers” but movies supposedly set in the real world like The Gray Man, or the James Bond franchise have no excuse. I would have been perfectly happy with the film if they had dialed down the action sequences to a more realistic level, but my complaint really pertains to modern action films in general, not just this film.

It is my guess that The Gray Man is not meant to be seen as a "real world" picture but a "reel world" picture. I think it is meant to be at least 50% cartoon. I have not gone back to it yet but the first hit that the Gosling character sets out to do was so poorly put together I began the picture thinking, "I hope this gets better."

I thought the dialogue and action were both several shades of horrible in what I saw but I mean, if they are going for Marvel comics style action this explains a lot.

I want to like this picture and figured I would avoid it for a while and then go back and try it again from the beginning.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
For me the “intense action” scene is what completely kills the movie. This stuff is so way over-the-top as to be ridiculous. It has unfortunately become standard action fare in today’s blockbuster movies. I can suspend disbelief for this type of physical impossibility in franchises such as Star Wars or Harry Potter, because these laws-of-physics-defying stunts have the excuse of being possible through the pretense of “the force” or “magical powers” but movies supposedly set in the real world like The Gray Man, or the James Bond franchise have no excuse. I would have been perfectly happy with the film if they had dialed down the action sequences to a more realistic level, but my complaint really pertains to modern action films in general, not just this film.

You know, that is a very reasonable response and a fair critique. I had sort of gotten burned out on the MCU for similar reasons around the time that Age of Ultron had hit home video. I stayed away from the franchise for awhile and eventually got back into it. This film, like a lot of contemporary action, deals with a sort of 'enhanced reality' where (for instance) individuals can take a lot more punishment than us mere mortals. The final confrontation between Six and Hanson typifies this sort of style. At least right now, my mindset involves not thinking too hard about that aspect of contemporary action. ( Ignorance is bliss, and all that. )

- Walter.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
But at least Gosling and Evans are well matched physically. The finale of Commando was massively ripped Arnold versus tubby guy.
And that tubby guy was the ripped Mohawk guy Wez, from The Road Warrior. Vernon Wells

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
You know, that is a very reasonable response and a fair critique. I had sort of gotten burned out on the MCU for similar reasons around the time that Age of Ultron had hit home video. I stayed away from the franchise for awhile and eventually got back into it. This film, like a lot of contemporary action, deals with a sort of 'enhanced reality' where (for instance) individuals can take a lot more punishment than us mere mortals. The final confrontation between Six and Hanson typifies this sort of style. At least right now, my mindset involves not thinking too hard about that aspect of contemporary action. ( Ignorance is bliss, and all that. )

- Walter.

I think this is the correct way to go into a picture like this. I grasped this during the opening hit where Gosling's character is supposed to be shooting through not one, but it seems two floors to hit his target. Not sure what sort of gun or bullets he is using to accomplish this ridiculous feat. These two floors look like they are made of some sort of heavy smoked glass but he can see his target, through the two floors, perfectly clearly. I don't think we are supposed to consider any of this but rather the sequence is used to show Gosling is a hitman with a conscience because he won't take the shot when a boy wanders over close to his target. So, really the action aspect of this sequence is totally meaningless and of no importance. So, why make it so off the wall dumb? Well, I guess the answer to that is, why not?

Of course, because he won't take the shot, disobeying direct orders, again showing what a good guy Gosling is supposed to be, he has to then go take his target out using hand to hand combat. Sloppy, but obviously the point here is Gosling is a badass that won't play by the rules and likes children. The fact that he is a friend to children comes into play again in the story and I guess is the key to them showing us that Gosling is the guy we should be rooting for. He's a killer, sure, but he likes kids.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It’s funny how those that don’t like a particular movie seem to have more to say about that movie than anybody else. They just can’t help themselves.

I did not like what I saw but I have to watch the entire film to decide if I like or don't like it. Sure, I am critical of the opening but in all honesty, that was one of the parts I saw and I was left scratching my head trying to sort out why they did what they did there. I mean, I get the point of that sequence, it is to immediately establish the Gosling character as a good guy that won't play by the rules. OK, but it seemed to me that was a pretty lousy way to approach that. I realize this is what passes for character development now in motion pictures, the thought being waste no time on that and just get to the action, so it is what it is.

Really, the father of this kind of filmmaking is Tony Scott. He pretty much created the entire roadmap on how to cut a modern action picture. He should be given the credit for that because they all work off his template.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did not like what I saw but I have to watch the entire film to decide if I like or don't like it. Sure, I am critical of the opening but in all honesty, that was one of the parts I saw and I was left scratching my head trying to sort out why they did what they did there. I mean, I get the point of that sequence, it is to immediately establish the Gosling character as a good guy that won't play by the rules. OK, but it seemed to me that was a pretty lousy way to approach that. I realize this is what passes for character development now in motion pictures, the thought being waste no time on that and just get to the action, so it is what it is.

Really, the father of this kind of filmmaking is Tony Scott. He pretty much created the entire roadmap on how to cut a modern action picture. He should be given the credit for that because they all work off his template.
After watching the entire movie and knowing that character's history, I wasn't surprise by that opening sequence and his relationship with children.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
As I now understand it this picture is loaded with CGI and explosions...which is what I guess drove up the budget.
I no longer have Netflix, even so...the Russo Brothers seem to be digging into the same bag of tricks they used in thier super hero movies. Great for the video game feel, if I want that I have an abundence of films that deliver the same thing in spades.
I hope the writing is better than just the CGI and explosions. As long as character development and storyline are there, good on ya!!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm in the middle on this one, and actually I like it more as I think back on it.

For instance, I thought Chris Evans was really funny! Him chewing up the scenery was one of the highlights of the movie for me. Ryan Gosling was also a hoot. Totally watchable movie star with an almost Cary Grant-like charm. Ana de Armas was good too, although maybe they could have done even more with her.

If you see this as more of an an action comedy, rather like Bullet Train, rather than a serious action movie, and just go with the flow, it's kind of a hoot. To me I guess that's why I could take the absurdities of Bullet Train maybe a bit better, because clearly Bullet Train was meant to be a comedy first, while this one has pretensions to be a Bond-like thriller. But if you see this as a spy caper in the almost Moonraker style, which I appreciate, then I can more just enjoy it.

One of the hallmarks of a good movie to me is: would I ever want to see it again? And yeah, although I watched this in a theater with a friend, I could totally see watching this again with my spouse on Netflix. I like the variety of stuff on Netflix, and having huge action movies like this and Red Notice definitely brings value to my Netflix subscription. If I want to justify why I'm paying $20 a month for Netflix, this movie shows some of what my money is being spent on.

Anyway, not that anyone cares, but I'm revising my rating on this from a B- to a B. For me it's a good B action comedy with an A+ level production budget.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I walked into this movie pretty cold, so it turned out to be more than I expected, in a good way. Some of the action teetered on outlandish, but didn't go so over the top as to enter into the Red or John Wick territories (at least for me). I didn't know who the director(s) were, so I was wondering through most of it if it was someone from the Wick or Atomic Blonde stunt schools. So it was a fun surprise to see the Russos in the credits and answered the question of what they've been up to since End Game (though I see they made a movie with Tom Holland before this one).

Here's my "review" that I shared on social media (basically three reasons to watch it):

1) Ryan Gosling and Ana de Armas Blade Runner 2049 reunion 2) Ana de Armas kicks butt again a la No Time to Die 3) Chris Evans plays an asshole. Recommended!
😂

I was really trying to work in an "America's ass" reference in there, but couldn't really pull it off. I see Honest Trailers went with "America's Asshole" which I considered, rejected, but then I guess it worked after all. :D

Regarding Gosling's "wooden" acting, I thought his reacting to hits and stabs like they were flies in his soup made him more of a badass.

Julia Butters reminded me a fair bit of either of the Marano sisters (Vanessa or Laura), so at some point I wondered if she was related.

And the writers must really have it out for Harvard. Apparently that school produces a lot of assholes. :rolling-smiley:

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I finally watched this in its entirety. Verdict:

I liked it better once I finished it. Ana's part gets a bit better but her cameo in the last Bond film actually smokes anything she does here. Gosling has enough charm to make a horribly written role slightly better than awful. Bottom line is the directing, writing, editing, and effects are utter garbage. The action scenes are staged like they were done by someone that never staged an action scene before and cut together by an ADD 15 year old. Chris Evans gives the absolute worst performance I have ever seen him give and maybe will qualify as the worst performance of the year. Fair to him, the lines he has to deliver in this film are truly just total crap and his delivery kind of reflects that. Billy Bob is totally sleepwalking through what I would guess he knows is just a bad bit part in a bad film. Alfre Woodard, a wonderful actress, is in this film hopefully because she collected a massive paycheck for showing up, because she does nothing in the picture. Rege-Jean Page is in this but he also really has so little to do and it is so poorly written I don't blame him for not really registering at all.

This is basically a generic action picture buried in a bunch of bad CGI. It seems no surprise having seen it that it is made by a couple of Marvel directors because it does just play like a Marvel movie without the costumes. Same bad writing, bad action scenes, spastic editing, and nothing in the picture really matters everything is an excuse to move to the next action scene. They throw up title cards to let you know what city you are in but it really does not matter at all where you are because they are just going to hit you with a 5 million cuts, crap load of CGI action scene. Meaning, whatever you see, you might see it for about 1.5 seconds.

As a time waster, it is alright and you probably will occasionally chuckle. Gosling deadpans every line he says, Evans screams most of his, Ana looks beautiful and delivers every line like she is very concerned. There really is no direction of the actors because overall, they are not asked to do much acting. It is mostly a bunch of choreography with wisecracks.

Oddly, I will probably watch a sequel but it would be nice if they get someone other than the Russo brothers to direct it because they kind of stink at this kind of thing.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finally watched this in its entirety. Verdict:

I liked it better once I finished it. Ana's part gets a bit better but her cameo in the last Bond film actually smokes anything she does here. Gosling has enough charm to make a horribly written role slightly better than awful. Bottom line is the directing, writing, editing, and effects are utter garbage. The action scenes are staged like they were done by someone that never staged an action scene before and cut together by an ADD 15 year old. Chris Evans gives the absolute worst performance I have ever seen him give and maybe will qualify as the worst performance of the year. Fair to him, the lines he has to deliver in this film are truly just total crap and his delivery kind of reflects that. Billy Bob is totally sleepwalking through what I would guess he knows is just a bad bit part in a bad film. Alfre Woodard, a wonderful actress, is in this film hopefully because she collected a massive paycheck for showing up, because she does nothing in the picture. Rege-Jean Page is in this but he also really has so little to do and it is so poorly written I don't blame him for not really registering at all.

This is basically a generic action picture buried in a bunch of bad CGI. It seems no surprise having seen it that it is made by a couple of Marvel directors because it does just play like a Marvel movie without the costumes. Same bad writing, bad action scenes, spastic editing, and nothing in the picture really matters everything is an excuse to move to the next action scene. They throw up title cards to let you know what city you are in but it really does not matter at all where you are because they are just going to hit you with a 5 million cuts, crap load of CGI action scene. Meaning, whatever you see, you might see it for about 1.5 seconds.

As a time waster, it is alright and you probably will occasionally chuckle. Gosling deadpans every line he says, Evans screams most of his, Ana looks beautiful and delivers every line like she is very con
You're welcome to your opinion, but I disagree with you about the acting performances.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
You're welcome to your opinion, but I disagree with you about the acting performances.

Yes, it is just my opinion and I don't really want to knock the actors here, I like them and part of why I was attracted to see it was because I thought the cast looked great. I think actors can do only so much though particularly when they are handed an awful script. I mean with Gosling and Ana I think you really have to work to kill the level of charm they naturally exude, but man do the Russo's try.

Honestly, Gosling I think is a very good leading man type but if you really want to see what he can do in a picture sort of like this, watch The Nice Guys, a really good picture and he and Russell Crowe have fantastic chemistry in it but the key really is they get a better script and The Nice Guys is really a well made film.

This Gray Man deal obviously wants to play in the Bond/Mission Impossible territory but it is nowhere near those pictures in terms of quality. The Bond and Mission Impossible pictures are vastly superior to it in pretty much every way.

Maybe the sequel is better than this. They really need to build the characters and if they have Gosling and Ana and they give them some good writing they have a good chance to make a far better film than this first one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, it is just my opinion and I don't really want to knock the actors here, I like them and part of why I was attracted to see it was because I thought the cast looked great. I think actors can do only so much though particularly when they are handed an awful script. I mean with Gosling and Ana I think you really have to work to kill the level of charm they naturally exude, but man do the Russo's try.

Honestly, Gosling I think is a very good leading man type but if you really want to see what he can do in a picture sort of like this, watch The Nice Guys, a really good picture and he and Russell Crowe have fantastic chemistry in it but the key really is they get a better script and The Nice Guys is really a well made film.

This Gray Man deal obviously wants to play in the Bond/Mission Impossible territory but it is nowhere near those pictures in terms of quality. The Bond and Mission Impossible pictures are vastly superior to it in pretty much every way.

Maybe the sequel is better than this. They really need to build the characters and if they have Gosling and Ana and they give them some good writing they have a good chance to make a far better film than this first one.
I don't agree with you about Chris Evans either. Anyhow, I'm not going to debate it because well, I have better things to do today than to debate subjective acting performances.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, to be clear, even though my comments on the picture are negative, I did not hate the film. It is OK and like I said as a time waster, it is fine. But this is what leads to my frustration with a picture like this, this is a $200 million time waster. This is where I am in line with William Friedkin and Howard Hawks, if you give anybody, a chimpanzee, $200 million to make a film, you should get an amazing film in return for that money.

That means they had everything at their disposal to make this. The best writers, effects houses, stuntmen, top notch actors, costumes, make-up artists, just everything you could possibly need or want to make a picture, they had it all. They had all the time they needed and could shoot wherever they wanted. Just every damn thing you could possibly need to make an utterly amazing picture and this is what they end up with.

Not only am I frustrated by that but also that now you have tied up a couple actors in this franchise that I would much rather see doing other things. Ana and Ryan would be and could be great in a lot of other pictures but now, they are going to make at least a second one of these. This is a waste of their time, though I am sure they will be well paid for that time. This is how I felt when Robert Downey signed up to be Iron Man. This guy was a good actor, making good pictures, where he gave excellent performances but then they tied him down to making a bunch of Marvel pictures instead. Sure, I don't blame him, he got wildly rich doing it.

However, I feel like we kind of get robbed of seeing him put his talents to work in good films.

Honestly, when I saw The Gray Man was getting made, what it was about, and the cast, I was excited to see it. It was right in my wheelhouse. In the end it just seemed generic and bland and basically a poorly made film on multiple levels. I just wonder how you end up with this when someone gives you over $200 million to make a picture.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I disagree with your assessment that the director's have never done an action scene before. The action scenes, though ridiculously over the top, are cut well and have a nice flow to them. If you want to see 5 million cuts watch a Michael Bay film. He even cuts on non-action scenes. He can't hold a single shot for more than 8 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks