The Grateful Dead Movie?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick Larkin, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Has anyone heard of this film coming out on DVD? I remember friends having it on VHS and its still available on that format.

[​IMG]

I'd really like get a hold of it at some point.

Anyone seen "The Closing of Winterland" ??

2. PaulHSmith

PaulHSmith Auditioning

It's supposed to be out November 9, according to montereymedia.com.

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Yes. The video is hazy, 70s-era, PBS-simulcast quality. The DTS surround track is good, but I really prefer my old bootleg CDs. So much so that I tried syncing up the CDs to the video, only to discover that the ol' boots seem to run a tad slow (I'm assuming the DTS track is at the correct speed/pitch).

I love this show. It's easily one of my favorites, and has always circulated in very good sound quality (except for the first set, though the most recent "boots" sounded nearly as good as the 2nd and 3rd sets). I find that when I do listen to it, I reach for my CDs rather than the DVD. Maybe it's just the way I'm used to hearing it...

4. Anthony Clifton

Anthony Clifton Stunt Coordinator

(tentative) details of the Grateful Dead Movie's release on DVD are up at deaddisc.com

5. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Thanks!

6. Chris Harrison

Chris Harrison Stunt Coordinator

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/p...Fid=601&sfid=2

This 2 DVD set, with more than 5 hours of footage, contains the original theatrical release of The Grateful Dead Movie plus extensive bonus footage. The second disc includes three additional documentaries, 11 never-before-seen songs (totaling over 95 minutes), the original "Mars Hotel" television spot, demonstration of multi-camera and multi-track audio mixing, and a photo gallery. The picture is remastered from the original negative in High Definition, and the original audio has been fully remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1 channel and 2 channel audio.

When The Grateful Dead Movie was retired theatrically, most known 35mm prints of the Movie were returned to the Grateful Dead's vault. Unfortunately, many of the prints of the Movie were returned either incomplete, or heavily damaged. With the recent restoration of The Grateful Dead Movie, and the discovery of the original 35mm negative of the Movie from which the DVD was produced, these damaged or incomplete prints of the film have become obsolete. We still have several dozen complete (8 reel) theatrical prints of the Movie in very good condition, which are being properly preserved, but for the few "orphaned" reels (such as those prints of the Movie for which we have only Reel 1,3,4 and 7 of the 8 reels) or damaged reels, we have decided that rather than destroying these prints of what are still very cool visual items, we will distribute these 6" film strips to you!

So, for every pre-order of The Grateful Dead Movie DVD, you will receive a 6" strip of 35mm film from an actual theatrical print of The Grateful Dead Movie. Perhaps you'll receive a snippet of Gary Gutierrez's stunning animation, or some footage of Jerry shouting out the words to "Morning Dew." It's all random, and it's all good. One thing we can tell you is that these were all shown in theatres at one time, and all once resided in the Grateful Dead's vault. They're our gift to you, as a way to thank you for your continued support.

Disc 1
    -The Grateful Dead Movie in its entirety
    -transferred from the original 35mm negative in High Definition
    -presented in the widescreen aspect ratio of 1.78:1
    -Dolby Digital 5.1 presentation of the original theatrical audio mix
    -New Dolby Digital 5.1 audio mix, mixed from the master multi-track tapes
    -New Dolby Digital 2.0 audio mix, mixed from the master multi-track tapes
    -Feature length commentary track with supervising editor Susan Crutcher and film editor John Nutt
    -English subtitles option on entire movie
    -Total running time of Disc 1: approximately 135 minutes

Disc 2
    -More than 95 minutes of never-before-seen concert footage, including: Uncle John’s Band; Sugaree; The Other One>Spanish Jam>Mind Left Body Jam>The Other One; Scarlet Begonias; China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider; Dark Star; Weather Report Suite
    -Bonus Songs transferred from the 16mm camera-original film negative
    -Dolby Digital 5.1 mix on all Bonus Songs, mixed from the master multi-track tapes
    -Dolby Digital 2.0 mix on all Bonus Songs, mixed from the master multi-track tapes
    -Visible Lyrics option on all Bonus Songs
    -"A Look Back" documentary film
    -“Making of the Animated Sequence” documentary film
    -"Making of the DVD" documentary film
    -Television commercial for Mars Hotel album from 1974
    -Demonstration of multi-camera and multi-track audio mix
    -extensive photo gallery of production notes, photos, film stills and other historical items from the Movie's production
    -Total running time of Disc 2: approximately 175 minutes
    -Deluxe package featuring 24 page collector’s booklet with photos by Bruce Polonsky, Dave Patrick, archival items and an essay by Dennis McNally

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Hey now... this looks to be extraordinary! [​IMG]

I hope one of the inclusions is the entire "Eyes of the World" (one of the best ever performed).

If I have any criticism, it's one that I have of the vast majority of music-related DVD releases: the DD-2.0 track should be replaced with a two-channel PCM track. And I suspect that the so-called "DD-5.1 presentation of the original audio track" is either not what it claims to be, or rather a stereo or maybe a stereo-surround track in actuality (did they have stereo surround in 1975-76?). This, too, should be in PCM. And for the discrete surround mixes, a DTS option would be appreciated.

But that's just my standard boilerplate criticism of the vast majority of music-related releases. Otherwise, this set looks phenomenal! [​IMG]