What's new

The Grapes of Wrath (1 Viewer)

Craig Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
What a wonderful film! It has been on my most wanted list for years... along with My Darling Clementine. I saw it recently on Fox Movie Channel but the print was very dirty.

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
Funny you mention My Darling Clementine, that's on Ebert's The Great Movies list, too.
I wonder when Fox will put these out on dvd...
Carrol

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Major restoration work is being done on both! However, I'm worried that when Fox releases these on dvd either later this year or in 2003, that "My Darling Clementine" will not be John Ford's version which was shown at its movie preview but the cut version that Fox released for it's theatrical run and has shown on Fox Movie Channel. When I was at Fox last September, I had a brief exchange with Fox's restoration guy and to my dismay, he indicated to me he preferred the theatrical version. At that time, I explained to him that the extended Ford version was a better version of the film with a few more details and some slight ending changes. Incidentally, the cut version is 97 minutes long while the preview version runs 104 minutes. Luckily for me, I have a super vhs copy of the latter version.

Crawdaddy

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
Crawdaddy,
Where did you get your SVHS copy of My Darling Clementine, pay cable?
I recorded My Darling Clementine off of AMC about 1 month ago, I wonder if that's the version I have, the longer 'preview' version. Incidentally, I got it recorded on my Ultimate TV, so it's on a hard drive, safe and secure.
I can't understand why Fox wouldn't do the same thing that Warner Bros did for Howard Hawks' film The Big Sleep. There's both cuts of the film, for the viewers/purchasers enjoyment, comparison and choice.
Carrol

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I too would love to see a restored Grapes of Wrath!

I'd also like to see Fox release a box set of the surviving silent John Ford movies from the 1920's. (Many still exist since they were featured in "Hollywood")

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they do justice to The Grapes of Wrath . I think the film deserves the care and detail that was put into Citizen Kane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks