What's new

The Grand Tour Season 1 - Amazon (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
So the original boys from Top Gear have ended up on Amazon. The show is very similar is structure, lots of cars, lots of joking but, the show looks so much better. The way they filmed it, the show really pops now. They must've upped the budget considerably.

Happy it's back, my 11 yo son and I watched all versions of Top Gear and this looks like the best of them all.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I thought the intro was great and enjoyed the studio segments even though some of it felt odd or forced. But I attribute that to getting back into the saddle after a long hiatus.

"The American" racing driver bit just kind of left me "meh" though. It felt sarcastic for the sake of being sarcastic. Maybe a little too over the top for me. Hopefully that part of the show will get better with age.

Overall I really liked the show and am SUPER glad to have the guys back. This makes me want to upgrade to a 4k TV.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This hurts. I was really looking forward to this series, as Top Gear was one of my favorite shows. The gangs back, but I'm not enjoying it.
It has morphed into more of a sketch comedy show, and truly feels less about the love of cars, and interesting car discussion, and more about trying(very hard) to get the audience laughing.

the second episode had me wondering where they are going, and why are they doing it. Jeremy, James, and Richard have always had great chemistry, and at times felt like the Three Stooges. In the Grand Tour, it feels like the Three Stooges most all the time. Forced comedy at practically every turn.

It's a shame I gave up on Top Gear, and couldn't wait until this show started. Now I'm quitting this. I don't have any regret about quitting my Prime membership now.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Not a fan of Mike Wallace driving the Ebola track... he's quite loud and rednecky. The first episode went by really fast for me and I loved it but the second episode really bogged down with the waaaaaaaay too long urban assault course. I agree they haven't thus far covered autos in depth like they did on Top Gear but I'm giving it a chance. They have a new show with a reported £160 million budget for the first 3 seasons. I think they will try a few things which don't land and a lot which do and I'm excited to watch them figure it out. The opening of the first episode where Jeremy is driving the Rocket and James and Richard pull up along side him... the look on his face of pure joy is priceless. Welcome home.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
The second episode didn't hit like the first but I'm still enjoying it goofiness and all. I do like the running gag with the guest celebrities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks