What's new

The Goonies 20th Anniversary DVD? (1 Viewer)

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Do you think we can expect a Goonies 20th Anniversary DVD sometime next year?

And also how is the current release of it... the one that came out in 2001?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The DVD has a new video commentary with all of the "kids" and director Richard Donner. The great thing about this video commentary is that you can watch the commentators actions and reactions during selected scenes.

There is also the music video by Cyndi Lauper, deleted scenes, and the original EPK.

The dynamic motion menus even pay tribute to the film with sight gags that fans will love.

As for a new version:

From the recent HTF chat with Warner:

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
There is no need for a new version of Goonies. The current version is just fine, and has some nice extras on it.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
I just watched my Goonies DVD last weekend for the first time. Is it me or is the image quality a bit sub-par?

It could be just that it's an old movie, but I swear it was a bit blurry.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
No need for this. And since Warner isn't Universal, don't expect it.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't R2 getting a Special Edition this year, or did that already come out?

I just checked Amazon.Co.Uk and didn't see it listed?

Anyways, if it has been released already or has been announced, can anyone tell me what the difference in specs should be between this and the current R1 release?

I assume the same commentary tracks and extras are included, but does the R2 edition have more supplementals?

Also, can anyone comment on the transfer - Is it worth it to pick up the version in PAL format, I've held off on the current release cause I'm stubborn and compulsive and can't stand buying snapper cases.

I'm tired of cleaning my shelf every 2-3 months to find them dented or creased and have to be replaced, so I just stopped buying all movies that are released as such, which sucks cause I'd have a lot more DVD's in my collection if it weren't the case.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
The R2 is exactly the same as the R1 extras wise. Same goes for the transfer, but obviously with the slightly higher resolution (if that makes any visible difference in the case of Goonies I can't say as I didn't do a side by side).

Chris

Drew R

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew Ressler
Although the current DVD is great, it kinda irks me during the video commentary when they keep on making refrences to the 4 hour + cut of Goonies that Donner has :) I want that!

John*P

Second Unit
I don't see a new Warner Bros Goonies DVD release coming anytime soon. However, there is a Goonies documentary coming to DVD from the guys who made The Goonies Vacation film. From what I've heard, every Goonies fan is going to want to check this out.

For more info, check out The Goonies Vacation site at www.thegoonies.org

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
If you look for a R2 release of The Goonies you have to search mainland Europe. There's no UK release due because the BBFC demands some cuts or a higher certificate and Warner doesn'twant either.

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
This film has now been re-released on DVD in both R1 and R2, and I'm assuming that the previous R2 cuts have now been re-instated as the R2 version is being trailed as 'Full Length Version'.

R1 September 14 2004 (109 minutes)
R2 October 4 2004 (114 minutes)

(I assume the difference in running time is due to PAL speedup).

I have two questions:

Does anyone know whether the new R1 DVD is just a re-issue of the 2001 transfer?

Also, I've read on an Amazon review that the old DVD transfer omitted some scenes which were part of the film on an earlier VHS release (Octopus scene and a scene involving the discovery of a coin's secret), although these were on the DVD as deleted scenes. Were these scenes part of the original theatrical release?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
wow, I don't know if Amazon got the specs wrong, but check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...d&vi=tech-info

Apparently it was reissued this past September and is now being listed as a keepcase version!

I'll wait for confirmation before placing any orders because I've yet to see this in retail in Montreal, but this is great news! I've been waiting a long time to own the DVD!!!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
Do you mean the runtime? I've noticed that several R1 websites are listing the new release as 90 minutes, and others are also listing the aspect ratio as 1.85:1, rather than the correct 2.35:1 I assumed that these were just errors, but if anyone has just bought the new release, it would be helpful if they could confirm the specs...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Amazon.com is listing the correct aspect ratio as 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen with a run time of 90 min.

DigitalEyes has the same specs and also indicates that it's packaged in a keepcase. I'm going to be placing a rathr large order with DigitalEyes later this afternoon so I would love to get some sort of confirmation on the details. I'm fairly certain on the a.r. and run time though it'd be nice to have a member of this forum verify, but I'd really like to know how this is being packaged...

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I bought Goonies today... it was quite an exercise to find in Future Shop. I got the last copy. I only watched the first few scenes and a bit of the commentary (probably the first commentary I've ever watched because I heard its pretty good).

If anyone is still thinking about getting it I recommend they get it because its worth it.

But does anyone know where to get a printable Amaray cover? There is one in this topic but the link is dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks