The Goodies...are these legit?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by LarryDavenport, Jun 22, 2005.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I ran across this on Ebay. There's a second volume too.

2. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey Stunt Coordinator

quite possibly yes - the UK DVDs look like this and Network (who have released it) do sometimes release material without regional coding.

Unlikely to be NTSC however

3. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

It says Region 1.

4. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

smells like a bootleg, because the only legitimate releases of The Goodies are in PAL only, region 0 coding, plus it uses the same cover art as the UK version (including the BBFC certification). I can only think of one instance where Network Video have issued an NTSC version of a British title: that's Robin of Sherwood, and it was a). only available from their own website and b). extremely expensive. At the seller's price, it's undoubtedly a pirate.

If it was a PAL disc, the seller would have made note of it, as most US players aren't hacked to enable PAL conversion.

Do yourself a favour and buy the legit versions from somewhere like amazon.co.uk and if you don't have an all-region, multi-system player, get one (there are cheapos out there, but a name-brand Philips one can be had for about $70).

5. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

I see things like "Rising Damp" and "One foot in the Grave" on Ebay all the time. They say R1 and the boxes pictured are the same as the official R2, yet I can find no official R1 release info anywhere. Could be the same seller.

6. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

Good advice, but do shop around. There are plenty of UK online stores right now competing to offer the lowest price. I wouldn't pay more than £9.99 for these right now. HMV has them at that price here. Possibly cheaper for US residents as I believe you aren't charged UK VAT.

Regarding the seller in question, it could be that these are legit R2/PAL and he simply doesn't understand the PAL/NTSC question (when you sell a DVD on Ebay does it default to R1/NTSC?). In any case, Andy is right: these Goodies are not NTSC.

7. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Could be, but I doubt it.