What's new

The Good Wife - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
JMas said:
It's amazing there was no leak before the episode aired.
Thanks for not ruining anything, just a nice teaser comment.

Hasn't even been shown on the west coast yet. I've still got the last two episodes on the DVR and am looking forward to the three episode mini-series.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Just wow. They certainly didn't lie about this being the shocking episode that you can't miss. This was at least as huge of a pivot for the show as when Alicia and Cary split off for their own firm. Normally, once an episode airs it's fair game for discussion. But this was such a huge development that I'm going to put the rest of my post in spoiler tags to give those who might pop in before loading up their DVRs a chance to watch this episode unspoiled:
They basically just killed off the second lead of the show. After Alicia, he was the next most important character on the show. I always figured Alicia and Will were the end game.A far inferior show, "The Originals", just wrote off a series regular, one of the titular Originals, and it basically killed my interest in the show. By contrast, after killing off Will I can hardly wait for next Sunday to see what happens next. The difference is "The Good Wife's" incredibly deep bench of talent. Josh Charles is an irreplaceable actor, and Will Gardner is an irreplaceable character. If the show was in the need of a new Will to fill the gaping hole left by his absence, the show would be sunk. But the show has such a rich tapestry of characters and an insanely talented roster of series regulars, recurring players and guest stars that it doesn't need to plug in a new character to fill the same role. The absence of Will means the focus of the show shifts, the dynamics shift, and what the show's about shifts.Based on the preview for next week, it looks like Louis Canning will ultimately stepping into Will's shoes at the law firm though not his role on the show. It makes me wonder if "The Michael J. Fox Show" had succeeded, whether the Kings would have had the courage to pull the trigger. In the end, probably, because there's so many other great lawyers in the show's rotation that could have joined Diane.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Can't believe they killed off Will.I wonder if Josh Charles wanted off or they did it to move the show in another direction.Ok I looked it up and Charles wanted to move on, in fact it appears that he wanted to leave after last season but stay to give Will and big send off. While I was extreemly vocal about the absurdity of the LG expansion story line I am sad to see the character go.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've heard this referred to as The Good Wife's Red Wedding. But I think it had a lot more impact in comparison to 'The Red Wedding'. While the Red Wedding was shocking, it was that kind of show, where you knew bad things could happen. The Good Wife had never presented as a show that could pull off that kind of event... and yet, it did. It managed to keep this so under wraps that I was completely blind to this conclusion.I've already read all the responses of the shippers, who are 'I'm gonna quit the show!' But I've got to tell you, I think this continues the kind of open shakeup this show needed. It brings us back to why this is Alicia's story, not a story centered around other characters and it sets up a lot - and I mean a lot of potential plots going forward.

TV Line had an interview with the writing staff.. it's a good one, spoilers for next week are included.

http://tvline.com/2014/03/23/the-good-wife-will-gardner-death-explained/

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Absolutely. The impact of this event on the storylines of all of the major characters couldn't be more significant, and the show can only benefit quality-wise from the many, many doors this episode now opens.

Personally, I was disappointed just from a selfish standpoint since I had expected Will and Alicia to be the inevitable ending to the story, and I was pulling for them. But rather than taking my marbles and huffily stomping away from the show, I'm eager to see what the writers will now deliver.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Stunned to say the least. I thought Alicia and Cary leaving the firm was the lynchpin of what is turning out to be the finest season of the show to date and then they hit you with this. Im amazed it was kept under wraps and well done for them doing so.

Agreed with others that whilst I will miss Will and was expecting the ending everyone else was, this has actually reinvigorated an already buzzing season with new possibilities simply because there are so many good characters who this has an impact on.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Since I follow Josh Charles on FB and didn't watch it last night, the surprise in last night's episode was revealed first thing this morning with Josh pointing to the letter from the creators and it was impossible to see the first two sentences, the first of which was "We, like you, mourn the loss of Will Gardner."

So, while I didn't get the full force of the shock, watching the whole episode I just had the dread - wondering when and how it would happen. The dialogue about all Nelson Dubeck needed was Will's testimony had theories about the death somehow being connected to that running through my head. I am glad it wasn't.

Anyway, another great episode and it will be interesting to see how this earthquake shakes the show.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As the episode started, I was reflecting on the incredible editing this show has. The attention to music choices. The exquisite timing of cuts. The myriad of scenes and locations. The diversity of characters. And the craftsman of every episode, for five seasons, has not waivered. The Good Wife feels like it must have an incredible behind the scenes effort, beyond most other shows. But this episode took it farther than I expected. The last time I was caught this off guard was when Whedon killed Jenny Calendar in Buffy. Amazing episode. And it wasn't a cheat. Some shows pull a major event cheaply, poor writing to escape a plotting problem and exit an actor that wants out. But this was superb. The resumption of the Cage trial juxtaposed with the inquiry about the voting fraud was typical Good Wife. And it let Will go out immersed in the moral uneasiness that makes The Good Wife great. The kid was probably innocent, but maybe not. He was probably close to going free, but he lost it, unfairly damaged by the justice system. And the one person who wanted to die, didn't; the one person fighting to restore his life was pointlessly killed. And Will's courtroom opponent reminded us in the ER that they are all colleagues, and wish nothing truly bad on each other, despite the posturing and rivalries. Just. Wow.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
I've already read all the responses of the shippers, who are 'I'm gonna quit the show!'
What's a "shipper"? I've seen this elsewhere and can't figure it out, except as shorthand for "worshiper", which also doesn't make sense???

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
What's a "shipper"? I've seen this elsewhere and can't figure it out, except as shorthand for "worshiper", which also doesn't make sense???
It's short for "relationshipper". It's a slang term for fans who follow a show because they're rooting for one specific couple to succeed. The first time I can remember the term being used was a segment of the "X-Files" fandom that only watched for Mulder and Scully to get together.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How about that. I've been doing TV forum for over a decade and never heard of that before. Always fun to learn something new :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Finally got to see this week's episode last night since I was traveling back from Megacon. Glad I didn't hear any spoilers for it before watching the episode.

This catalyst will make for some interesting developments for the rest of the season and next season as well.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As stunned as I was by the episode, I didn't get teary-eyed.

But those tears certainly welled up when I watched the promo for this week's episode. Oh, boy!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Several moments devastated me tonight. Two involved Kalinda:

1. Going to look at Will and the director shows us his eye and his lips. What a haunting image to take away from that.

2. Kalinda with the kid. Wow!

3. Dianne firing her moneyed client.

4. Alicia and the prosecutor in the hospital room

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This was a beautiful, haunting episode that probably best encapsulated the way that death really feels.. outside of Buffy's episode 'The Body' this ranks very, very high for the way that other characters relate to loss in a very real way. Just a home-run episode, brutal. And while I didn't get teary eyed last week, I have to admit, a bit misty tonight. Great stuff

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the above comments - another very powerful episode.
In addition we saw two cases of people who did not allow others to grieve and saw to take advantage of the situation - to their own detriment. One client at Lockhart/Gardner and the deposition at Florick/Agos.

For a moment I really thought Kalinda was going to give him the belt.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
One other thing - it turns out that it was Damian Boyle who was stealing clients from Will. I don't recall them saying that he had left the firm, but maybe that happened behind the scenes. It had been a while since we had seen the character, though we did see his police friend in last night's episode. Just looked online and it appears the character will be in the April 13 episode - so I guess that may answer any questions there.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
One of the best hours of TV I've seen. The hollowness of Diane walking out of the elevator into LG was perfectly matched to my experiences. David Lee taking a very brief moment in an empty conference room was a powerful 5 sec of character development. It rocked me back. I had to get the tissues. For my wife.The conversation about god between Alicia and Grace was one of the best spiritual pieces I've seen on TV. I remember a PBS documentary on TV. Stephen Bochco stated, "The story is in the consequences." I didn't fully get it then, but it has resonated with me over the years. And this episode had it. Everything was consequences. Especially the coolness of Alicia towards Peter, rather than seeking comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks