What's new

The Good Wife Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
Kalinda's husband is a creep. Hope they get rid of him soon. Weird relationship between them, they beat the hell out of each other, yet still get along, at least in public. Liked Kalinda letting him know her girlfriend was a federal agent. Maybe the girlfriend will be the one to get rid of the husband.
It's very much a "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" type marriage. Scorched earth warfare as foreplay.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Read today that this may be cancelled after this season and not return for a fifth.
Ratings mean everything apparently and maybe the American public has become so "dumbed down" that smart, well written, well acted shows like this can't make it any longer.
I certainly hope it comes back next season, I personally think it's one of the best shows on television at this time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's CBS's prestige show. When the network decides to end it, I have to believe it will give the Kings enough advance notice to craft a series ending arc.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
It's CBS's prestige show. When the network decides to end it, I have to believe it will give the Kings enough advance notice to craft a series ending arc.
It definitely is CBS's prestige show, that's why I'd love for it to continue, hopefully for several more years. It has been possibly near cancellation before, but I think it's such a classy, well done show, it has always survived. Hope it continues to.
Plus isn't the magic syndication number 100 episodes? You would think it would be worth it to at least do a fifth season, possibly more.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good episode tonight. John Glover's always a great asset to any show, and he was definitely great here. But mainly, I'm happy the show's finally making use of Cary again.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm more convinced than ever that Maddie Hayward has cuddled up to Alicia with ulterior motives -- perhaps she's going to run for governor herself?
Lamont Bishop remains as fascinating and multi-faceted as ever. Mike Colter does an excellent job of balancing the character's endearing qualities and his monstrous ones.
Loved Nathan Lane's character getting a taste for what the firm does.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/324126/the-good-wife-season-4#post_3994666
I'm more convinced than ever that Maddie Hayward has cuddled up to Alicia with ulterior motives -- perhaps she's going to run for governor herself?
Lamont Bishop remains as fascinating and multi-faceted as ever. Mike Colter does an excellent job of balancing the character's endearing qualities and his monstrous ones.
Loved Nathan Lane's character getting a taste for what the firm does.
I haven't trusted Maddie from the moment we met her. Nothing has seemed quite right about her, and I've just been waiting for her to pull some sort of surprise out of her hat.

Always love episodes that feature Lamont Bishop. This week's was no exception.

We got to see a tiny bit of the impishness of Nathan Lane this week, and it was delightful.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
I haven't trusted Maddie from the moment we met her. Nothing has seemed quite right about her, and I've just been waiting for her to pull some sort of surprise out of her hat.
My thoughts also, seems like something else unexpected is going on with her.
I thought that the campaign worker/blogger problem would fade away. Actually expected Indira to make some sort of speech denouncing the entire story, thought that was what her and Maddie were working out, but obviously not.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Stan /t/324126/the-good-wife-season-4#post_3995067
My thoughts also, seems like something else unexpected is going on with her.
I thought that the campaign worker/blogger problem would fade away. Actually expected Indira to make some sort of speech denouncing the entire story, thought that was what her and Maddie were working out, but obviously not.

My gut is telling me she's the one pushing the story so she can leap in with an outsider later... or run herself. I totally agree on the Lamont Bishop storyline, it's so well acted and the way they handle that character is great. The scene over 12.1% was solid.. and it's one of those few moments where Carey was able to say "that was great.."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I called it with Maddie Hayward. The tragedy with her is that she's a Charles Foster Kane. She knows what she wants, and she goes for it. But that unyielding focus alienates her from those around her; I think she was telling the truth when she told Alicia she had no real friends. And her conduct explains why; the goal always comes first, and the people in her life either her her reach the goal or they're obstacles in her way. Friends can't be classified in those terms.
Structurally, Sunday's was a beautiful episode. Alicia began the episode losing a fake friend and ended the episode gaining a real one.
I loved Peter's explanation of why he turned Maddie Hayward down; it wasn't that he was against "settling" for lieutenant governor -- especially in a state like Illinois where scandals have a much higher than average track record of elevating lieutenant governors into the governorship. It's that he can't trust her. She's believes her own bullshit, and that makes her unpredictable.
Even if that weren't the case, he'd have turned her down because she stabbed his wife in the back. One of the things I find fascinating about Peter is his loyalty to Alicia. He cheated on her and, given the opportunity would almost certainly cheat on her again. When it comes to the personal vows he took at the altar, he's failed more or less completely. But in the other arenas, he's 100 percent in her corner. We've seen that will Bill Clinton and Hillary. I imagine its true of a lot of other philandering husbands. Their marriages mean something to them, even if that something isn't all that their wives had a right to expect.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It looks like Maddie expects to buy the election just because she's loaded.
I can't see that happening, even with his flaws, Peter his the classiness and prestige to win, but it will make for an interesting fight. Hopefully the blogging issue can be dealt with and proven to be a lie.
Peter has got an excellent team on his side who may have a tough battle ahead of them, but Maddie has already proven herself to be a backstabbing bitch and I don't see that going over well. You can only step on people and use them for so long before it comes back and bites you in the ass.
She may have a lot of influential friends we haven't met yet, but Peter, Alicia and Eli should be able to deal with them and expose her for what she really is.
Interesting twist with Peter's mother getting a male nurse, sense a lot more coming from that story. Always thought of the woman as kind of a loon, but she may turn out to be very helpful.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Oh, I'm waiting for the big reveal to be that Maddie is the one who has helped push the cheating story to the blog, or gave the blog cover and she gets found out.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I hope Martha Plimton returns for a few episodes as her Patti Nyholm character. One of my favorite guest starring roles ever created.
Granted it's she's on a different network, but Raising Hope is only a half hour show, you'd think they could spare her for a week or two.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Stan /t/324126/the-good-wife-season-4/30#post_3998729
I hope Martha Plimton returns for a few episodes as her Patti Nyholm character. One of my favorite guest starring roles ever created.
Granted it's she's on a different network, but Raising Hope is only a half hour show, you'd think they could spare her for a week or two.

She wants to come back and they want her back, so I suspect they'll find ways to make it happen. Having won the Emmy last year for the role, Plimpton has even more incentive for wanting to revisit the character.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Another great episode tonight. My favorite part was the bit with Amanda Peet's character being interviewed by Geneva. Geneva clearly saw her as a threat and the look on Geneva's face after Peter hired her and she thanked Geneva for her help was priceless.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And she and Alicia will be facing off in court next week! How's that for helping someone?
Loved the scenes with Cary and his dad, and we finally got to see Nathan Lane in REAL dramatic mode. Great stuff this week!

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Cary's dad is Lex Luthor - now it all makes sense! :D Nice to see John Shea again.
Really good guest cast this week in addition to Shea: F Murray Abraham, Amanda Peet & Christina Ricci too. Then, Zach Grenier steals the show at the end as the super-smug David Lee.
In a perfect world, this show would run and run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks