What's new

The Good Wife Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/314496/the-good-wife-season-3/120#post_3910530
Loved them bringing in the geriatric as name partner.
As a big fan of Jerry Adler, I approve of the ploy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Trailer for the last three episodes of the season:

Warning: A few big spoilers in there.
MAN, Matthew Perry's character is a real shit.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this is a spoiler, but might be for many of the people here
Came across a website giving a brief synopsis of the season ending episodes of many shows.
Looks like the Martha Plimpton character returns to end the season.
Looking forward to it since they tend to be some of the better episodes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That trailer covering the remaining episodes of the season really ratchets up the drama making them required viewing. Tremendous stories upcoming.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In a show full of political sharks, Mike Kresteva takes the cake. He's a stone cold psychopath that makes Wendy Scott Carr look like an adorable puppy. It put me in a the position of actually rooting for Peter, because he's Alicia's weapon against Kresteva. Sometimes it takes a slimeball to bring down an even bigger slimeball.
Man, Jackie's pathetic. I've never seen someone look so exultant at having a stroke at an opportune time.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought Louis Canning was manipulative and devious. He's a pussycat compared to this guy. He made my skin crawl (wonderfully so) and made the show's drama just that much more addictive.

I think Jackie took something to induce some kind of attack. I don't think she's had a real stroke. She is pathetic, no question, but she seemed way too alert and conscious of all that was happening around her to have had even a mild stroke.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Louis Canning was deeply ethical in a consistent (if sometimes super-villain) sort of way. And he was fighting hard for his clients. Kresteva, we learn, is a psychopath with absolutely no concern for -- perhaps no perception of -- truth. He's frightening. And would seem to be the perfect candidate, guaranteed to win, if he doesn't get caught in a major conflict.

Eli is such a fool at times. Blithely swirling his wine about as he crushes his ex-wife's dreams. But let's still be friends, he sincerely wishes.

Jackie...I don't know what to think yet. I'm waiting to see how this plays out. Is she that out there to control Peter and damage Alicia?

I didn't understand the resolution of the case. The girls had to plead guilt to get out. Carey said there was no new deal to be made, despite new evidence. Then the girls were getting out. What happened?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Louis Canning was deeply ethical in a consistent (if sometimes super-villain) sort of way. And he was fighting hard for his clients. Kresteva, we learn, is a psychopath with absolutely no concern for -- perhaps no perception of -- truth. He's frightening. And would seem to be the perfect candidate, guaranteed to win, if he doesn't get caught in a major conflict.
You summed it up in a nutshell. Canning's ethical boundaries are different than most of ours, but they exist and he adheres to them. He respects talent like Alicia's, even when it's set against him. He's a decent family man who doesn't let his work life intrude on his home life. Kresteva is a Rod Blagojevich, only savvier -- which makes him scarier.
Jackie...I don't know what to think yet. I'm waiting to see how this plays out. Is she that out there to control Peter and damage Alicia?
Jackie wants love from Peter and success for him. She views Alicia as a traitor, because her efforts to carve out her own life away from her philandering husband interfere with Peter's happiness and success. She's extremely manipulative, but it's all Peter-centric. She wants Peter back in his own home, living happily with his children. Since Alicia has proven herself unworthy of Peter, she will have to fulfill Alicia's household duties. From her perspective, all of the misfortune that has befallen Peter is Alicia's fault. If Alicia had been more satisfactory in the bedroom, Peter wouldn't have strayed. If she had stuck by Peter, his run for governor wouldn't have been at risk. In Jackie's eyes, Peter can do no wrong. And if he does do wrong, someone else must be to blame.
I didn't understand the resolution of the case. The girls had to plead guilt to get out. Carey said there was no new deal to be made, despite new evidence. Then the girls were getting out. What happened?
I wasn't 100 percent sure, but I believe once they discovered that the one girl (the skinny black haired one) was likely guilty, they couldn't risk going to trial. Diane and the non-profit attorney browbeat the recovering addict attorney who was holding out for the big cash settlement into accepting the Alford plea. The girl we saw reunited with her family was the one of the three represented by Lockhart/Gardner, and one of the two who were likely innocent.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/314496/the-good-wife-season-3/150#post_3917211
Jackie wants love from Peter and success for him. She views Alicia as a traitor, because her efforts to carve out her own life away from her philandering husband interfere with Peter's happiness and success. She's extremely manipulative, but it's all Peter-centric. She wants Peter back in his own home, living happily with his children. Since Alicia has proven herself unworthy of Peter, she will have to fulfill Alicia's household duties. From her perspective, all of the misfortune that has befallen Peter is Alicia's fault. If Alicia had been more satisfactory in the bedroom, Peter wouldn't have strayed. If she had stuck by Peter, his run for governor wouldn't have been at risk. In Jackie's eyes, Peter can do no wrong. And if he does do wrong, someone else must be to blame.
Yes.

There was that monstrous moment when Alicia, confronting Jackie at the salon, said "And you'll raise my children." At first I thought that was a threat. Then i realized Alicia was putting to words the factual outcome of Jackie's horrible goal. And Jackie, similar to Kresteva, would never admit to it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
How do you improve the best revolving roster of guest actors on television? Bring in Stephen Root. I loved his character, especially being a lifelong upstate New Yorker who's more than familiar with the sneering disdain from some sectors of New York City. This judge from south of Springfield was initially treated the same as a judge from north and west of Rockland County would be treated in New York City, or a judge from the Berkshires would be treated in Boston. True to form for guest characters, though, Root's Judge Murphy was as smart and incisive as anybody else on the show, with the caveat that he just might be less corrupted. David Paymer's Judge Dick Cuesta has turned sneering into an art form, so it was fun seeing his opinion change as he found in Judge Murphy a jurist of like mind. Which made his shame at his final... loose association with truth more keenly felt.
Loved Cary back in the fold. His dynamic with Alicia was great; all the bitterness is behind them, and now they have the shared bond of surviving a host of similar situations. I liked that Peter respected Cary's ambition and wasn't selfishly pissed at losing an asset (as Glenn Childs would be) but rather hurt that someone he felt he'd been a good mentor to hadn't kept him in the loop. It'd be easy to make Peter all nasty all the time, but especially as they build up Kresteva as the greater evil, it helps to highlight some of Peter's better qualities.
The FBI agent, pursuing Kalinda basically because she felt like a jilted lover, reminds me of the kid on the playground who always played by the letter of the rules even when it caused more bad than good. The FBI agent has a very black and white view of the world, in a city that's chock full of gray. Alicia couldn't out and out state that Lamont Bishop would kill Kalinda, because the firm's official position has to be that he's a legitimate businessman with no untoward affairs. At the same time, this petty investigation will bear no fruit except ending with the death of Kalinda. And that won't really sink in for the FBI agent until she has Kalinda's blood on her hands. Speaking of Lamont Bishop, what a great season in that conference room. He's not a psychopath. He doesn't kill for thrills or some perverse pleasure. It's an occasional necessary evil for his line of work, one that he endeavors to avoid whenever possible. Giving Kalinda a chance to remove the noose from her neck is both the gentlemanly thing to do and smart business.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Adam Lenhardt said:
Loved Cary back in the fold. His dynamic with Alicia was great; all the bitterness is behind them
I hope so. I got the feeling that he thought Alicia lied when she told him she wouldn't tell Peter he'd been interviewed. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The revolving slate of judges on this show is just one of its most brilliant conceits, and the new one last night became an instant favorite.

So happy to have Cary back in the fold even if things looked a little dicey there for a minute.

One more episode? Say it ain't so!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adam Lenhardt said:
/t/314496/the-good-wife-season-3/150#post_3919124
Speaking of Lamont Bishop, what a great season in that conference room. He's not a psychopath. He doesn't kill for thrills or some perverse pleasure. It's an occasional necessary evil for his line of work, one that he endeavors to avoid whenever possible. Giving Kalinda a chance to remove the noose from her neck is both the gentlemanly thing to do and smart business.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Pretty rockin' season finale. I really expected the husband to come barging through that door with a quick fade to black.

I don't know how Patti and Louis can look at themselves in the mirror and not feel ashamed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
Pretty rockin' season finale. I really expected the husband to come barging through that door with a quick fade to black.
The hard, slow knock was so much creepier, though. There are two types of violent men, those who are violent by instinct and those who use violence as a means of intimidation. Kalinda's husband is latter type. He's been a hanging thread since at least season 2, and it's exciting the show's going there now. We probably learned more about the private Kalinda in tonight's episode than we have in whole seasons. Her apartment spoke volumes about how she lives, sparse and impersonal, so she can always be ready to throw her life into a suitcase at a moment's notice and move on.
I think making her husband such a menacing figure also helps redeem Kalinda a bit, since it transforms her sleeping with Peter to get the paperwork through from a simple act of manipulation to one of desperation.
That phone call at Alicia's apartment was absolutely chilling.
I don't know how Patti and Louis can look at themselves in the mirror and not feel ashamed.
It's all just business for them. For what it's worth, I think Edelstein will come to regret his decision. Lockhart/Gardner puts its clients first, and they've had a stellar success rate for him. As we've seen, Louis Canning is willing to tactically lose cases to advance his interests. If there's a conflict between Edelstein's interests and Canning's interests, I would not be surprised to see Edelstein left holding the bag.
Interesting with Jackie and the television. It looks like she might not have made it through the stroke consequence-free after all.
Loved, loved, loved the final season at the old Florrick house with Alicia finding herself on the outside looking in and, standing there on the porch, having to decide if she was going to do something about it or not.
If the finale had a theme, it's that the days where our protagonists could neatly compartmentalize their lives are over: Will's decision to take the suspension has had consequences; Kalinda's efforts to keep her private life hidden from her work life have gotten her best friend threatened while at home with her kids; Peter is a fact in Zach and Grace's lives, and she can either find a way to be comfortable around Peter or she's going to lose her family. The show does a great job of continually upping the stakes and making clear that even victories have consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks